Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Yes, but tolls need to be based on user pays....AND the money needs to be collected and distributed efficiently.

Paying individual bridge tolls is a pain.....I remember when Spokane was paying off the Monroe Street bridge and throwing a DIME into the toll box. I was so glad when they removed THAT toll booth.

The roads in tri-cities are smooth just because they are brand new....I remember those smooth Spokane roads thirty years ago!!! I believe the FEDS payed for those roads.

Hell, the state of Washington did NOT want to pay their share of I-90 east of Moses Lake!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Let's face it, the current system of 'free roads' isn't working. It's very difficult to cross the metro area many hours of the day and there's no viable alternative short of using a helicopter. Tolls won't solve the problem entirely, but they'll improve it in a way that ties the cost of use to the people using them. I certainly don't think lowering the cost of driving is the best or most efficient social welfare scheme to help the poor.
^ this

Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
"Tolls won't solve the problem entirely, but they'll improve it in a way that ties the cost of use to the people using them."

We should be thinking the same way about public transportation

Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
"Tolls won't solve the problem entirely, but they'll improve it in a way that ties the cost of use to the people using them."

We should be thinking the same way about public transportation
In developed countries, there are only a tiny fraction of public transportation systems that turn a profit. It's truly miniscule. This isn't an American problem.

The cost of labor, even if one was to cut the salary of drivers by half, would still be too high. The benefit of reducing congestion, increasing mobility, and reducing pollution, is worth the cost of providing the service.

If fares are raised to the break-even point, many more will choose to drive, making congestion exceptionally worse. (price elasticity). And the costs of congestion (environmental and productivity costs) increase exponentially as each car is added.

Profit is not, nor should it be, the goal of large metropolitan public transportation systems.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Profit is not, nor should it be, the goal of large metropolitan public transportation systems.
There's plenty of profit for the construction companies, and jobs with nice pensions for the gov't employees. I think these motivations drives many decisions. It's why we'll have a multi-$billion tunnel for light rail instead of a cheaper monorail, for example.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
It's why we'll have a multi-$billion tunnel for light rail instead of a cheaper monorail, for example.
I don't think that's accurate; it's rather simplistic and dismissive of the planning process (and operating costs) for these types of projects. It's better to build something that will be useful 50 years from now than go cheap on the captial expenses.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM

195 posts, read 377,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post

And as I read, the 90 toll would be used to pay down the 520 one. How is that any more fair than just upping the gas tax? You are taxing a group of people that receive limited benefit from it either way.
It's not fairer at all, it's just way easier to get a "fee/toll" approved than increasing a tax ....

Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 AM

872 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Again,

I think everyone should pay tax for the new 520, it benefits the entire region and everyone in it (both directly and indirectly).

Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Again,

I think everyone should pay tax for the new 520, it benefits the entire region and everyone in it (both directly and indirectly).

You weren't living here during the ill-fated Monorail Initiative. I believe one of the reasons it failed to maintain public support is because the funding was poorly tied to the project benefits. (Recap - the largest tax burden fell on new car owners regardless of where they lived in the city or would use the line).

520 is a route used by primarily by east west commuters living in north end neighborhoods. I only use it a few times a year, and don't see a whole lot of indirect benefit from it currently. The same is true for the majority of people that would be paying for it through a general tax. Having everyone pay for projects used by a few people is a good way to make sure few projects actually get funded.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
In developed countries, there are only a tiny fraction of public transportation systems that turn a profit. It's truly miniscule. This isn't an American problem.

The cost of labor, even if one was to cut the salary of drivers by half, would still be too high. The benefit of reducing congestion, increasing mobility, and reducing pollution, is worth the cost of providing the service.

If fares are raised to the break-even point, many more will choose to drive, making congestion exceptionally worse. (price elasticity). And the costs of congestion (environmental and productivity costs) increase exponentially as each car is added.

People who commute in their cars, business people, and truck drivers all benefit from public transportation, because of the reduction in traffic. Bad as is is now, it would be far worse without those people taking the bus or trains. I don't have a problem with gas tax, property tax, or even tolls going to Metro and Sound Transit. I do object to tolls on one road/bridge to pay for another to be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area