Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:31 PM

17 posts, read 25,877 times

Advertisements

Have you considered volunteering in the area to see how you feel when you're out and about? There are a lot of opportunities because of the homeless population there. I think you'll run into more young people volunteering there than other neighborhoods since some of the majors at the UW require community service hours.

More than just students live in the U District so I doubt most people will care if you live there. I know one person who works in the U District and about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the employees at his work live in the U District because they like the short commute. I know some UW students and while the majority of the people who live in their apartment buildings are either undergrads or graduate students, there are other folks not affiliated with the UW living in them. I've never heard them say anything bad about them. The low rent opportunities and good bus service attract people of all types.

For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 30s. I used to live in Roosevelt and would go to the U District frequently for shopping or to meet up with friends. People treated me the exact same way there as they did in any other Seattle neighborhood. Nobody looked at me strangely when I'd visit someone in the dorms or when I'd eat with a student in the dining halls. I got no weird looks when eating at cafes and restaurants with friends who were in their 40s. At 24, you should blend in rather well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I lived in the U District for years, when I worked at the UW. I loved being able to walk to work. It never occurred to me that there might be some odd stigma to it, nor did it occur to any of the neighbors my age. The U District used to be a popular place to live. I don't know about now, there's so much more homelessness than there was before.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 PM

143 posts, read 334,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Oh god. Well, I'm sorry to hear about your car. If I were 28, I probably would feel too old to live there as well. But as a 24 year old (one who is rather immature in some ways but still professional), I hope that feeling won't kick in just yet. Crime is something that's not exclusive to the UDistrict. My concern was more or less how others would perceive me (both the younger students I might come across as well as older professionals), when I tell them I live in the U-District.

Have you noticed more of a lack of amenities due to not being a student, as opposed to any other neighborhood?
No at your age you're fine.. even some ppl my age will be okay, but that's kinda why I said if you consider yourself more mature, you'll likely not like it. I want to see more people my age or at my level for where I'm at and U-District for the mast of the area doesn't provide that.

As far as amenities, nope, no lack of amenities besides maturity lol. Theres lots of restaurants, shops, groceries, gyms, yoga all that good stuff. Everything you need, you literally never have to leave there actually. I think you'll actually enjoy it, if I were 24 I'd like it, and probably enjoy it for 2-3 years before I start feeling weird. LoL it's cheap, lively, and you'll be the big man that "doesn't" go to campus so why not?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorsha View Post
More than just students live in the U District so I doubt most people will care if you live there. I know one person who works in the U District and about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the employees at his work live in the U District because they like the short commute. I know some UW students and while the majority of the people who live in their apartment buildings are either undergrads or graduate students, there are other folks not affiliated with the UW living in them. I've never heard them say anything bad about them. The low rent opportunities and good bus service attract people of all types.

For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 30s. I used to live in Roosevelt and would go to the U District frequently for shopping or to meet up with friends. People treated me the exact same way there as they did in any other Seattle neighborhood. Nobody looked at me strangely when I'd visit someone in the dorms or when I'd eat with a student in the dining halls. I got no weird looks when eating at cafes and restaurants with friends who were in their 40s. At 24, you should blend in rather well.
The difference between you and the OP is he's favoring the U District because it has a young (pre-family) "scene", but he's already at an age where professionals typically leave for other neighborhoods. I still think it's an interesting place to visit, but has a lot of trade-offs for actually living there.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 PM

17 posts, read 25,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The difference between you and the OP is he's favoring the U District because it has a young (pre-family) "scene", but he's already at an age where professionals typically leave for other neighborhoods. I still think it's an interesting place to visit, but has a lot of trade-offs for actually living there.
My post was more about addressing the OP's fears of how the students and older professionals would view and/or treat a 24 year old living there. Based on my experiences, I think a lot of people wouldn't care.

The U District never pops into my head as a neighborhood recommendation for young professionals (I didn't even want to live there when I was a student), but it looks like the OP has already dismissed the other areas that I would typically recommend. I can't think of a neighborhood that has as young a demographic as there so it comes down to what the OP is willing to give up to be around a predominately younger crowd.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM

How about the Lake Union area? Hasn't that gentrified and developed some hip areas, bars, restaurants?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,969 times
I will never understand why people use the word "gentrified" to describe a postive thing.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:41 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cur6490 View Post
I will never understand why people use the word "gentrified" to describe a postive thing.
Probably because in many cases it IS a positive thing. This idea that once an area has fallen into disrepair and limited use it should stay that way forever is something I'll never understand. All that does is promote urban sprawl if land is never re-used. Walling these areas off as a "preserve" of sorts while development occurs in less central locations is inefficient.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Someone mentioned on another thread that the south Lake Union area is one of the areas popular with young professionals. You might spend some time around there, to see if it might work for you, OP.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone mentioned on another thread that the south Lake Union area is one of the areas popular with young professionals. You might spend some time around there, to see if it might work for you, OP.
Thanks for the suggestions, but my questions have been answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: