Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times

Advertisements

This map isn't entirely accurate, as they list some "neighborhoods" that no one would even call it but here is a general reference:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM

173 posts, read 225,021 times
Regardless of what you might THINK of Georgetown, I suggest going on the annual garden tour. There are basically two residential areas, separated from one another, which contain some very nice gardens (and homes). I like the idea that these oases are in a neighborhood surrounded on all sides by industry, railroad tracks, airport runways, warehouses, gritty arterials. Nothing quite like it elsewhere in the city. I asked if they could include, as an add-on to the tour, the Georgetown Steam Plant, IMO one of the most fascinating buildings in the city (and among the spookiest), but it couldn't be arranged.

Georgetown Garden Walk - Home

Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,115 times
I've been told by numerous people that Georgetown has a strong sense of community. True?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
This map isn't entirely accurate, as they list some "neighborhoods" that no one would even call it but here is a general reference:
I think it's a pretty good map. But Leschi and Madrona are reversed( the map has Madrona south of Leschi.)

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I've been told by numerous people that Georgetown has a strong sense of community. True?
Yes! And there's always something going on there, from the Garden Tours, to the street band music festival tomorrow night( Honk Fest) to the Art Walks.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:04 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
Definitely a sense of being a community in georgetown.

There's a BMW/Audi/Lexus/etc. car shop in Georgetown and I've seen some parked around (granted not nearly as many as say Capitol Hill, and generally not newer).

Look, it's a working class neighborhood. There's no way getting around there seeing older cars and some of the shops and quirky people living there will give off a foreign vibe to those who are used to the big box store cookie-cutter suburbia that sprung around this nation like so much vermin off a damp locker room floor. It's different. If you're looking for what most other people think is "upscale" don't look there. But if you want cheap, interesting, and not spick-and-span clean but not dangerous either, look around Georgetown. White Center is fringe, not really desirable yet in my honest opinion.

Quote:
Inkpoe:

He's a new resident and doesn't live in Seattle.
Uhh, what? I've lived in Seattle for over 10 years, hung out in most neighborhoods. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 AM

905 posts, read 1,102,192 times
That address is in the SODO area, not too far from Georgetown. Georgetown is a cool neighborhood - Somewhat of an "up-and-coming" kind of area. It has a gritty, industrial vibe, but I'd hardly call it unsafe. It feels safer at night to me than Belltown. The main thing I'd be worried about living in SODO is the noise. A lot of trains move around the nearby tracks all day and night, so be prepared for horns, and also the occasional plane landing or taking off from nearby Boeing field.

For the southern areas of Seattle, I'd look into West Seattle, or parts of Beacon Hill/Columbia City/Seward Park.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:51 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Uhh, what? I've lived in Seattle for over 10 years, hung out in most neighborhoods. I think I know what I'm talking about.
Perhaps you should re-read what I quoted and what I said. Because if I was even talking about you, wouldn't it make more sense if I said "they"? There was one other poster that was being referred to against you and WSG.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,501 times
Good information to know, again im gonna totally new to whole very large city coming from Montana all my life so what looks scary and or unsafe to me isn't how other people may view it who live in those area's. I"ll be visiting and having a semi interview with the company in that area this coming Friday when I visit Seattle for a few days and then I can make my own determination about how I feel on the neighborhood. This of course being dependent if I can even get the job in that area or want to still after I meet with them

Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 AM

180 posts, read 321,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Good information to know, again im gonna totally new to whole very large city coming from Montana all my life so what looks scary and or unsafe to me isn't how other people may view it who live in those area's. I"ll be visiting and having a semi interview with the company in that area this coming Friday when I visit Seattle for a few days and then I can make my own determination about how I feel on the neighborhood. This of course being dependent if I can even get the job in that area or want to still after I meet with them
You would seriously turn down a job because of what neighborhood it's in? I could maybe understand if it was in the ghetto in LA, St. Louis, etc but not Seattle. It seems like you want to get to Seattle pretty bad, so I would not pass up a good opportunity because of which neighborhood the job is in. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area