Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet?? View Post
You would seriously turn down a job because of what neighborhood it's in? I could maybe understand if it was in the ghetto in LA, St. Louis, etc but not Seattle. It seems like you want to get to Seattle pretty bad, so I would not pass up a good opportunity because of which neighborhood the job is in. Good Luck.
Man, agree completely. Good comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:01 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet?? View Post
You would seriously turn down a job because of what neighborhood it's in? I could maybe understand if it was in the ghetto in LA, St. Louis, etc but not Seattle. It seems like you want to get to Seattle pretty bad, so I would not pass up a good opportunity because of which neighborhood the job is in. Good Luck.
I would turn it down if I don't feel i'd be happy working there. Otherwise, I dno't see the point in relocating to do work I hate in a town I'm completely alone in

Old 06-23-2013, 01:39 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
I assumed you are male but maybe you're female. Not that it makes a difference but I know and have known plenty of females of all ages who work or worked in that general area. None of them expressed any concerns for safety. It's a work place. Most drove their cars to work, got out of their cars, went into their workplace, spent the day working, maybe walked to lunch at nearby restaurants, grills, etc., walked back to their cars and drove home. One older lady that worked closer to the heart of SODO took the bus each day from beacon hill and I never really heard her complain that she felt unsafe in the area.

It's not that you'll be hanging around at night in the area (not to say it's even unsafe at night either) ...again, it's a workplace! I haven't been in the area for some time but from my own recollection from doing business in the area or passing through it, it's not like you're seeing drug deals going down at every street corner or prostitutes walking up and down the sidewalk. It's an industrial area! People are hard at work. Trucks are making deliveries, office workers are doing the things that most office workers do!

You completely ignored the link I gave in an earlier post that showed that the crime rate ...both property crime and violent crime are VERY low in the area. That information is being provided by the SPD (the Seattle Police Department). Therefore, the chances of your getting murdered as you walk from your car to your building is EXTREMELY low (especially if you're working a normal daytime shift) as is the chance of getting your car stolen or vandalized as you are working in your building. And the chances of getting raped or robbed as you walk a few blocks to a grill or restaurant at the noon hour is also extremely remote.

I always feel that an industrial area of a city is it's heart and soul and reflects it's overall vibrancy. For Seattle to have such a crime-free industrial area says a lot in my opinion.

To turn down a job just because of the location of the building is foolish. If you think you'll hate the work, well, that's another thing altogether. I definitely wouldn't encourage you to do work you'll hate.

You asked for opinions but it seems they don't mean much. I'll shut up now.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 PM

180 posts, read 321,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
I"m mostly concerned with the safety and crime factor in this area as it does look somewhat run down compared to the nicer business area's of Seattle, especially near coastlines of Lake Washington.

Mostly, I need to know how safe or unsafe this area is, particularly because i'm from a smaller town all in my life based in Montana so Seattle is a HUGE upgrade for someone like me and because im fairly OCD, I do a lot of research into big changes and decisions like this so the more I can learn about the pro's and con's, the better I can set my mind at ease and make a decision.
IMO, from what I gathered from this post was that you had an interview for a position in an area that you felt might be unsafe. There was no mention that you might not like the job or else I assume that you would not have taken the interview. If you don't think you like the job then that is one thing, don't take the job. No one wants a job where they will be miserable.

But the point of this thread was based on safety and thus my previous post about not taking a job based on which neighborhood the job was in would be silly. Again, if you like the job, take it. If you don't then don't take it. Good Luck.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 PM

I'm heading to your neck of the woods early tomorrow and i'll be checking out this area and a possible job on Friday in Georgetown, time to see if Seattle is a meant to be or if just too much for this MT boy to handle

Old 06-28-2013, 04:15 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Good luck.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Went and had a great time in Seattle this past birthday weekend. Had awesome but freaking muggy as hell weather with your guys moisture in the air, this poor Montanan was dying. I explored the 4th street area some before my interview which I felt went pretty well. I wondered around for a bit and yeah, it is a bit more an industrial area but it wasn't as bad as I thought and I felt pretty safe walking around in broad daylight and there are lots of resturants along the 4th street strip that leads all the way to downtown.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
The hot weather we have been having is unusual for Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area