Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times

Advertisements

My first choice would be Capitol Hill - yes it has its trendy areas, but stay to the North parts and you'll find tree-lined streets, neat old houses, classic apartment buildings, and a nice mix of restaurants, stores, etc. Cap Hill has more bookshops than any other neighborhood I can think of - including Eliot Bay Bookshop. Disclaimer: I live in this neighborhood, and I am pretty much the same demographic as you. Believe me, despite it's reputation as a place for the 'young and hip', this area attracts plenty of people like us for exactly all the reasons you've listed. We just typically live north of the Pike/Pine part of it (actually I'd say north of Olive is where it gets quieter). Also - have your husband inquire about the MS Connector bus. It's a bus service strictly for MS employees. It makes numerous stops along Broadway and also has some on Madison, Bellevue and 19th. Public Transit is also quite good here (the 49 goes to the U-dist) and it's one of the best neighborhoods for car-free living. FWIW I also commute to a certain eastside campus and it's not a bad commute at all.

We lived on the Eastside for years, and while I don't consider it soulless, it does tend to be more family-centered and we constantly found ourselves driving into Seattle because that's where the kind of activities we like tend to be. We also like the older, denser neighborhoods.

Good luck with your adventures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Bellevue would be awfully convenient. While downtown Bellevue is a little too glitzy and shiny for my taste, Old Bellevue immediately adjacent is quite pleasant, if a little upscale. And, like usernametaken states, there are lots of neighborhoods within Bellevue with very different feels. And Bellevue will getting light rail. Not for years, but it's growing in anticipation of it.
Redmond's not really conservative, but every place is compared to Seattle itself. Downtown Redmond has a bookstore and an organic restaurant. And it's the home of Mac and Jacks, one of the areas more popular microbrews.
I'll second or third Capitol Hill. Specifically North Capitol Hill. More residential, but still within easy walking distance of a zillion restaurants and stores. The SW part of Capitol Hill, closest to downtown Seattle, is very dense, and is not quiet.
Pike/Pine has become really crazy busy in recent years, but has great eateries and the iconic Elliott Bay Bookstore. ( nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there).
15th Ave E is a great street. The area around Republican/Harrison/Mercer/Roy and further north, and between 15th and around 21st has been one of my favorite neighborhoods for a long time.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy1965 View Post
My husband's considering a job at Microsoft. Both of us have friends in Seattle, but I'd like to gather information from as many sources as I can.

We're both in our 40s, child grown and gone. Home ownership was fun for the first couple of years, but after 15 (and all sorts of major renovations) the thrill is gone, so would be looking for an apartment for at least the first year; being able to get along without a car would be a plus, as I don't really need more than a good grocery store and a bookstore (bonus points for a store cat). Politics are progressive; both non-religious; more likely to read or go to a concert than to spend a lot of time outdoors, but we both enjoy walking. Yes, I've thought about the weather: I have a visual impairment that makes very bright light/glare uncomfortable, so being in a place where it's overcast more often than not would be a pleasant change (I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah, right now -- and before anyone asks, no, we aren't LDS and moved out here for work).

Friends have warned us not to expect to stay in this job for more than 4-5 years, and that's fine: our plan is to bank as much cash as we can while finishing our graduate degrees, then either head back to Minneapolis/St. Paul or down to Portland.

Neighborhoods to avoid? I've heard Bellevue called soulless, Redmond too conservative, and Seattle too trendy.
Wouldn't where you live be determined in part by where you go to school? Graduate work? Are you going to the UW in Seattle? There are wonderful neighborhoods in north Seattle where you could rent an apartment or a small house. I don't know what "trendy" means, but it doesn't exist in the north end of town, which is much more laid back. Try the Ravenna neighborhood (beautiful park nearby), Maple Leaf, Victory Heights and Pinehurst. All those have easy access to the UW, easy commute by car or bus. Easy commute to Microsoft from Victory Heights/Pinehurst. Greenlake is also nice, with a nice park and lake for walking, biking, swimming. The Montlake neighborhood just south of the UW is also nice, though commuting from Microsoft from there would involve crossing Lake Washington by bridge, and the traffic is awful.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM

85 posts, read 155,450 times
I have friends in Ballard and Kenmore, and my god-daughter and her husband are renovating a cabin on Whitbey Island -- would North Capitol Hill be somewhat easy to reach all of those places from?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy1965 View Post
I have friends in Ballard and Kenmore, and my god-daughter and her husband are renovating a cabin on Whitbey Island -- would North Capitol Hill be somewhat easy to reach all of those places from?
North Capitol Hill to Ballard is a 20 minute drive non rush hour, Kenmore 30 minutes. And Whidbey will be more like 90 minutes, depending on the ferry schedule and where on Whidbey( it's a huge island).
Buses do run from Capitol Hill to Ballard also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area