Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM

19 posts, read 52,926 times

Advertisements

I currently have wireless service through AT&T. Coverage has been great (for this area, at least). However, my contract ends this month and I'd like to switch to a no-contract carrier to save a bit of money. Straight Talk seems to have one of the best deals around with their Unlimited Everything Plan for $45/mo. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I apologize if this was covered already. I searched the forum and couldn't find any threads related directly to Straight Talk.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
I know many who are very satisfied with Straight Talk. Remember, though, it will depend on what phone you choose as to what network you'll be using. Straight Talk is a MVNO. MVNOs contract with the big carriers for bulk service and then essentially resell it. Therefore, Straight Talk will use AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and possibly the Sprint networks and, again, it will depend on what phone (or SIM card) you choose as to what network you'll be using.

If you stay in big metropolitan areas, it probably doesn't matter what network you have as most major metro areas are pretty well covered by those big carriers. However, if you're in the fringes or travel a lot, it will make a difference. You also will not have roaming privileges on MVNOs. You will be forced to use the native towers of the network you're "assigned."

The other drawback of Straight Talk currently is that you will not have access to 4G LTE on any network. So if you want those super fast data speeds on your smartphone that you'd get with 4G LTE, you won't be happy with Straight Talk. However, it seems most I talk to are satisfied with 3G speeds as you won't see a tremendous difference unless you're downloading big files or need fast streaming. Ordinary web surfing, emailing, etc. will be adequate with 3G speeds.

You may be able to bring your phone/SIM so you can still use the AT&T network. I'm not that familiar with the options. But again, currently you have roaming privileges with AT&T contracted service. Their contracted service is one of the best coverages around along with Verizon. However, if you use the AT&T network with Straight Talk, you'll only be allowed to use AT&T native coverage (no roaming).

I think Straight Talk is a good deal if you don't travel a lot and stay in the metropolitan area. And also if you don't need super fast data speeds.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM

19 posts, read 52,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I know many who are very satisfied with Straight Talk. Remember, though, it will depend on what phone you choose as to what network you'll be using. Straight Talk is a MVNO. MVNOs contract with the big carriers for bulk service and then essentially resell it. Therefore, Straight Talk will use AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and possibly the Sprint networks and, again, it will depend on what phone (or SIM card) you choose as to what network you'll be using.

If you stay in big metropolitan areas, it probably doesn't matter what network you have as most major metro areas are pretty well covered by those big carriers. However, if you're in the fringes or travel a lot, it will make a difference. You also will not have roaming privileges on MVNOs. You will be forced to use the native towers of the network you're "assigned."

The other drawback of Straight Talk currently is that you will not have access to 4G LTE on any network. So if you want those super fast data speeds on your smartphone that you'd get with 4G LTE, you won't be happy with Straight Talk. However, it seems most I talk to are satisfied with 3G speeds as you won't see a tremendous difference unless you're downloading big files or need fast streaming. Ordinary web surfing, emailing, etc. will be adequate with 3G speeds.

You may be able to bring your phone/SIM so you can still use the AT&T network. I'm not that familiar with the options. But again, currently you have roaming privileges with AT&T contracted service. Their contracted service is one of the best coverages around along with Verizon. However, if you use the AT&T network with Straight Talk, you'll only be allowed to use AT&T native coverage (no roaming).

I think Straight Talk is a good deal if you don't travel a lot and stay in the metropolitan area. And also if you don't need super fast data speeds.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for the detailed response. I assumed that the network would depend on which phone I chose but I was not aware of the "no roaming privileges". I don't travel an awful lot but it would be nice to have decent coverage when I do. Something to think about over the next couple of weeks...

Thanks again

Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violeteyes1988 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. I assumed that the network would depend on which phone I chose but I was not aware of the "no roaming privileges". I don't travel an awful lot but it would be nice to have decent coverage when I do. Something to think about over the next couple of weeks...

Thanks again
I think you'll have "decent" coverage when you travel around the country on "native" networks so I wouldn't put too much importance on that, myself. I was mainly referring to people that are on the road a lot such as RVers and truckers who may need coverage in more remote areas as they move about. You'll have coverage in most large to medium areas even with Sprint & T-Mobile (they both have the lesser coverage areas of the four) but may not have coverage in some smaller towns or certain rural areas.

When you get closer to choosing a Straight Talk phone, there will be places on the internet where you can find from the serial number codes of the SIM card what network that phone or SIM will use.

Currently, choose a phone that uses AT&T or Verizon as those two will have the largest native networks (as opposed to Sprint and T-Mobile).

You can go to each carrier's web site to see their coverage maps and you should be able to compare their native networks. Again, if you have contracted service, you're usually given free roaming but with pre-paid service, no roaming is included. If you go with pre-paid service with the big carriers, they'll sometimes allow you to purchase roaming but if you decide to go with an MVNO like Straight Talk, no roaming will be provided at all as your coverage will be limited to the native towers of the carrier you are "assigned" to.

I'm not a real expert at all this but do study it a bit for my own information as I am on the road frequently. Let me know if you need help with it as you get closer to choosing a prepaid phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area