Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,227 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of relocating and my family (kids 13 & 11) are visiting this weekend to have some fun in and around Seattle. We had planned on doing most of the touristy stuff around Pikes Place Market, Ferris Wheel, Glass Museum, etc. However, we have no interest in being around the hempfest scene.

So I need to decide if I should avoid Seattle Center (and downtown in general) on Saturday and Sunday due to spill-over, traffic, etc or if the festival is fairly well contained. My other option is to hold-off and visit downtown Seattle on Monday, but I don't know if the tourist stuff is better on the weekends.

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
I'd go ahead and wait until Monday. You'll be just as well off tourist wise as it's still Summer. If it was a bit later in the year, Monday would be a hit or miss. But plenty of tourists are still around during the week days.

Including myself all too often

Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I work right next to where it starts at the Sculpture garden and just walked from the parking garage. There are people out on the sidewalks selling bongs already though the actual event has yet to start, and plenty of people wandering around with the aroma of their weed around, but so far it's limited to the area from about Pier 66 north. There may be some in the Pike Place area, but these people are not interested in fish being thrown and the original Starbucks so I would not worry about that area. As for Seattle Center, there will be some people going from the EMP to the skybridge to the park so it will likely have more of them around but still not the kind of numbers that should bother you. All of the events are in the area between Piers 70 and 90, along the water. You would definitely be better offf waiting until Monday if only because the crowds are far less at all of the attractions and the Hempfest will be over.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
It's Pike Place Market, not Pikes Place.

Hempfest is at the parks along the Waterfront, not at the Market or Seattle Center. I doubt that you'd run in to much overlap if you were at the Center or Pike Place this weekend. It'll be crowded, but the stoners will be on the water.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
When I went by the Market Friday at 3:00 there were big groups of them walking along Western and Elliot from the Market area to the Skybridge
down to Alaskan Way.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,227 times
Even though it is close to Myrtle Edwards and Olympic Sculpture Parks, we ended up hanging around Seattle Center on Saturday and only ran into crowds of other tourists. We arrived early, had no problems with parking, and had a great time. We waited until Monday to visit Pike Place Market which was in full Summer-time swing by Monday afternoon.
Thanks for all the feedback. Amazing city.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Glad you enjoyed it and were not bothered by the potheads. Come back anytime.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Too bad you didn't take your kids there. No, seriously. One walk through Hempfest and they wouldn't want to get within a mile of anyone who does drugs... I will absolutely take my son there when he is old enough. If that doesn't scare a kid I don't know what will.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
No, seriously. One walk through Hempfest and they wouldn't want to get within a mile of anyone who does drugs...
Yeah, you have to hope that's what happens. Bummer if it goes the other direction.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,233 times
Quote:
However, we have no interest in being around the hempfest scene.
I'll roll my eyes at that. Hempfest is actually pretty benign. I didn't see anyone smoking there this year. No fights, nothing at all that would be family unfriendly. The food is typical fair stuff. I'll just roll my eyes at the ignorance. Lots of people go there, such as myself, who have no interest in doing drugs other than caffeine or alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: