Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,864,368 times

Advertisements

I don't remember seeing a track while watching televised football games at Aloha Stadium either. Not sure Hawaii even has a track and field program anymore.

Tracks around major-college football stadiums are very rare, and not very desirable from a football perspective.

I am not a fan of UW football, but I'm definitely impressed with the results of the project, based on what I've seen in the newspaper and TV. And UW fortunately took bids on the project when the economy was in the doldrums and construction costs were relatively low. Good timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,788,739 times
D1-A football stadiums with tracks:

Boise Stadium - Boise State
Wallace Wade - Duke
Memorial - Kansas
Rynearson - Eastern Michigan
UB Stadium - Buffalo
Mackay Stadium - Nevada

The list of stadiums that had tracks, but had them removed, but still have the seats pushed away from the football field is large. Husky Stadium no longer has a track, no longer has a the large "track gap" that many college football stadiums have.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,224,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
Mizzou doesn't have a track.

Technicly you are right, its a road. Though same effect of keeping the fans back. I think i was actually thinking of Southern Missouri, but like I said that was just off the top of my head.

Correct Hawaii doesnt have one, not sure where I was thinking of.

Point was that the post saying there was none, is incorrect. There are several and they are relatively rare. I think there are a few more that arent even listed but i just cant think of them at the moment.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:48 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,788,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post

Correct Hawaii doesnt have one, not sure where I was thinking of.
Hawaii's used to be able to transform into a baseball stadium. Certain seating sections were (are?) mobile.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 AM

474 posts, read 1,459,207 times
Uh, if you're not impressed with Husky Stadium, you likely haven't been to very many stadiums.

The setting is unmatched. The Rose Bowl setting is always breathtaking, but days like today, when the lake is full of boats, Rainier is out, and there are 70k insane Husky fans in the square miles around the stadium, it's pretty much peerless.

Some gripes are warranted, though: they inexplicably do a horrible job of showing scores from other games (you'd presume that UW fans are college football fans in general), the stats board is gone and they don't bother providing regular statistical updates despite having spectacular video boards all over the place, and I detest the 'ribbon' board of ads that circles the stadium, though I get that it's the new normal. It was distractingly bright when it got dark.

Most other college programs are 'great stadiums' because of the tradition of the program, not because it's a beautiful place or a great facility. Washington has setting, history, and now an actually high-end stadium to match it.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,719,068 times
Fox Sports 1 didn't really highlight the remodeled stadium tonight during their coverage of WA decidedly beating ranked Boise State. However, those with a keen eye could see the differences. Nice field to fan ratio, and a definite graphic surround, plus the new sports center on the west end. Nice job, UW, a major upgrade that isn't over the top.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,481,809 times

Yeah this is totally unimpressive.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM

603 posts, read 881,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Wow, critiques before the first game played there. Perhaps a few of you have an agenda?

Look, the main critiques of the old Husky Stadium have been resolved. That is good enough for me.

Let me summarize:

The field is now much closer to the fans. The track has been removed, the field is actually lower in the bowl, as to allow fans to be more on top of the action.

The press box is now not up near the Moon, now closer to the middle of the stands.

There are luxury or "near luxury" suites available, which is important to football revenue.

The west grandstands are now modern and with a better view. Heck, this actually is better for "visiting" fans.

The home locker room is majorly improved. The visiting locker room isn't, but who cares?

Sorry, but yes, this new Husky Stadium is great. Perhaps not over the top like Oregon, but it doesn't need to be.

I wasn't at the game yesterday but heard good things about the new stadium. I'll have to make to a game to see for myself.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
As someone who's been to games at UW and Michigan in the past 4 years, trust me, Husky Stadium is better. Michigan's stadium doesn't even get as loud as Kansas'. Aesthetically it's great, but functionally, it's very mediocre.

And as someone who has sit way up in the nosebleeds of Nebraska's Memorial Stadium end zones more times than I can count, sitting in the end zones isn't all it's cracked up to be. Be happy that you guys have a good, loud, beautifully set stadium that 80% of college football programs would kill for.

Michigan Stadium is awesome and it has the largest capacity of any college football stadium, heck it's capacity is greater than Cowboy Stadium (115,000 was the record). It's amazing on game days. I wish I were at the Notre Dame night game 2 years back.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
D1-A football stadiums with tracks:

Boise Stadium - Boise State
Wallace Wade - Duke
Memorial - Kansas
Rynearson - Eastern Michigan
UB Stadium - Buffalo
Mackay Stadium - Nevada

The list of stadiums that had tracks, but had them removed, but still have the seats pushed away from the football field is large. Husky Stadium no longer has a track, no longer has a the large "track gap" that many college football stadiums have.
None of the schools you listed have respectable college football programs, besides Boise State. Anyhow, I'm glad the track is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area