Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 AM

217 posts, read 411,610 times

Advertisements

I think I'd call it an average-size city. NYC/LA/Chicago are in a league of their own. Atlanta's actual city is not that big, it's just eaten up huge swaths of neighboring towns in suburban sprawl. But it definitely has far more people bc they count all of those unsuspecting towns into the empire . It doesn't seem necessarily smaller than a lot of other bigger cities I've been in. but then, most of those don't have much for public transportation either.
Coming from Montana it will probably seem plenty big. I came from Charlotte, which has its own IKEA (love that! and Seattle seems like an actual city where Charlotte is a big town.
whether or not it's your kinda place really depends on what you're looking for in a "big city"

I gotta say though - only in Seattle do people call them "mostly middle-class neighborhoods" when the cheapest house you can find is $500,000, and those are rare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
A century ago, a city with Seattle's population would qualify as a "big city". Today, cities like NYC/Chi/LA dwarf Seattle's population, but what does that matter for Seattle? Seattle's economy is great, relatively speaking, and crime seems controlled. We could just as easily ask the question, "Does NYC/LA/Chi have an overpopulation problem?" Sustained population growth should be encouraged, but increasing population for the sake of increasing population results in under-employment. As someone who lived in Southern California's "Inland Empire," I witnessed the effects of unsustainable population growth and how it decimated the economy for a metro area of about 4 million people.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Lol, inland empire. There's no "there" there.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
26th largest city according to C-D with Portland at #28.

Wikipedia says #22. That is just the city itself. Add in the designated Metro area statistics and Seattle jumps to #15, with Portland up to #24.

So... Big City in my book.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,947 times
Funny thing is, it feels bigger than it is. I moved here from Houston, TX and it feels more like a big city here. Going from the 4th biggest city to the 22nd biggest didn't seem drastically different to me, ha. Houston is just spread out, so that's why it's huge. Seattle is more compact, but it feels more urban. I'm so much happier here!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 AM

309 posts, read 760,246 times
I grew up in Seattle and although Seattle has changed a lot and gotten a lot bigger, I still feel like Seattle is more of a big town than a city. When I think of a city, I think of Chicago or New York. Seattle will always be a big town to me.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM

44 posts, read 54,077 times
lost here is your 'from Montana' . While I have never been to Montana I have images that it must be rural even in the busyiest places. I'm from Ct and have relatives in Minnesota, my concept of small town is hardly theirs. That said, it has the challenges we from small towns object, heavy traffic, small lots, and too much ground light (not as grand viewing stars) IMHO

Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 AM

427 posts, read 431,322 times
What a weird question. Of course Seattle is a "city"....in every way (traffic, skyline, population, urbanization, etc..) Seattle lost that big town feel in the early 1980's, if not 1970's. Seattle should be compared to Minneapolis....Denver.....Boston.......or even Dallas & San Francisco.

Portland is growing, but does not have the big city vibe like Seattle. Seattle will always be two steps ahead in everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: