Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM

414 posts, read 537,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Guns have almost nothing to do with crime, often times anti-gunners are looking for a correlation which has no actual bounds, instead it is simply used to push an agenda of theirs. 99% of anti-gun laws are about as useful as picking someone up off the street who had just been run over by a bus, putting a band-aid on their knee, and telling them it's "all better" now. Guns do not create crime, nor do they create violent crime, they are simply a means to an end. In reality, poverty, desperation, and this culture of broken homes from a very young age are the catalyst for crime and violence, which is where anti-gunner's should be focusing their attention, rather than on arbitrary gun laws which in the end achieve nothing; yet it's simply easier to point the finger at guns as the problem, not poor circumstances which aren't quite as easy to solve.
Thas wat i been sayin tho, crime is caused by many economic and social factors, easy gun access doesnt help the situation tho

Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
Thas wat i been sayin tho, crime is caused by many economic and social factors, easy gun access doesnt help the situation tho
If you take away the right for law-abiding citizens to own guns, the only people who will be armed will be criminals, which is the case in cities like Moscow, Russia.

It is true that a majority of the crime problems in USA have to do with the culture and mentality of the people in these areas. It is not even poverty, as many impoverished countries actually have lesser crime than that of modern, Western countries. For example, I was walking around at night in Accra, Ghana, a city in a country much poorer than anywhere in the USA. I was white and had more money than almost everyone around me, yet I never felt in danger of my life. The violent crime in this city was considerably less than that of almost any American city. Why? Because in USA there is a culture of gangs and violence which is glorified through violent media, music, video games, as well as an glorified culture of immorality. This is what gives birth to all the violence, broken homes, drugs, abuse.

However, guns are an equalizer and by prohibiting law-abiding citizens the right to own and posess guns for self-defense, you are empowering criminals. What keeps places like Montana , Idaho or Oregon safer is that people are not willing to sit around and let groups of criminals and thugs overrun their towns. At least not yet, but who knows ,with all these Californians and East Coast people flocking here to escape the hells they made of their own places. They come out to the Pacific Northwest and push their same stupid politics that messed up the place they ran away from.

If anyone thinks banning guns will result in less murders of innocent people, think again.. Moscow, Russia with 10 murders per 100,000 is one of the highest in Europe. This is country where private gun ownership is illegal. So, explain to me why there is so much murder?

Owning and bearing arms is a Constituional Right and it shall not be infringed by liberals who wish to re-write the Constitution. This mentality of punishing law-abiding citizens and pampering bloodthristy criminals is why criminals can proliferate and honest, hard-working and law-abiding people are murdered and live as victims.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
I'm not a Russian gun law expert, but firearms aren't illegal in Russia - there was actually a shooting spree earlier this year in Belgorod (near the Ukraine border) that took place in and around a local gun store, of all places:

2013 Belgorod shooting

Old 09-17-2013, 05:51 PM

414 posts, read 537,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
If you take away the right for law-abiding citizens to own guns, the only people who will be armed will be criminals, which is the case in cities like Moscow, Russia.

It is true that a majority of the crime problems in USA have to do with the culture and mentality of the people in these areas. It is not even poverty, as many impoverished countries actually have lesser crime than that of modern, Western countries. For example, I was walking around at night in Accra, Ghana, a city in a country much poorer than anywhere in the USA. I was white and had more money than almost everyone around me, yet I never felt in danger of my life. The violent crime in this city was considerably less than that of almost any American city. Why? Because in USA there is a culture of gangs and violence which is glorified through violent media, music, video games, as well as an glorified culture of immorality. This is what gives birth to all the violence, broken homes, drugs, abuse.

However, guns are an equalizer and by prohibiting law-abiding citizens the right to own and posess guns for self-defense, you are empowering criminals. What keeps places like Montana , Idaho or Oregon safer is that people are not willing to sit around and let groups of criminals and thugs overrun their towns. At least not yet, but who knows ,with all these Californians and East Coast people flocking here to escape the hells they made of their own places. They come out to the Pacific Northwest and push their same stupid politics that messed up the place they ran away from.

If anyone thinks banning guns will result in less murders of innocent people, think again.. Moscow, Russia with 10 murders per 100,000 is one of the highest in Europe. This is country where private gun ownership is illegal. So, explain to me why there is so much murder?

Owning and bearing arms is a Constituional Right and it shall not be infringed by liberals who wish to re-write the Constitution. This mentality of punishing law-abiding citizens and pampering bloodthristy criminals is why criminals can proliferate and honest, hard-working and law-abiding people are murdered and live as victims.
its not because of lack of guns
the main problem in russia is the criminal mindset of people overall, almost everyone tries to steal/fool someone else, breaking the law is normal, nobod respects the law because its a joke and not applied fairly, this was caused by decades of communist oppresion and people having to survive whichever way possible, kinda like in the ghettos here, add to that a thug govt, huge corruption and lack of accountability and there is your answer

Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 PM

510 posts, read 610,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Seriously, there is more gun owners per capita in any city in Idaho and Montana than in New York City. However, all the murders ,gangs and crime are in your city. Why is this? It is because people in plcaes like Idaho and Montana believe in freedom and defending their own towns. They are not going to wait for the guy with the badge to show up to protect them from the criminal element. These people will run the criminals out of their neighborhoods. The cops will just come and assist.
New York City has one of the lowest violent crimes rates of any large city in the US. Much lower than say Dallas, TX which has a much higher gun ownership rate.

In fact overall, there seems to be very little correlation between higher gun ownership and lower violent crime rates, if anything it seems that higher gun ownership leads to slightly more violent crime. See Crime vs Gun Ownership | DataMasher, for example. New York state, to use your example, has a violent crime rate of 414 per 100,000 residents, despite only having a gun ownership rate of 1.8%. While Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi all have higher violent crime rates despite having gun ownership rates of over 10%. Yes Montana does have a lower crime rate, about 30% lower, but has more than 6 times the gun ownership. The lower violent crime rate there has more to do with lower population density and more even income/quality of life than gun ownership.

It's hard to argue that a gun in the hands of the right individuals doesn't increase safety. I mean, that is why cops have guns after all. However I think I could also make the argument that many, if not most, of the people in the US who have guns are NOT the right individuals :-/ And the crazy amount of guns here makes it really easy for anyone, especially criminals, to get them.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Way off-topic, no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area