Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 AM

203 posts, read 720,539 times

Advertisements

I say bring back the Metropolitans! ....although, i dont mean we should exhume the old players.. but if we did, we could have the first ZOMBIE hockey team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
Why not? Seattle looks like it would be a good hockey market, with lots of fans willing to jump from the NBA. The bad thing would be they would have to build a new arena for the team, as amazingly, they wouldn't like Key Arena.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,731 times
Hey guys (don't be offended by the "Sonics" in my name, it has nothing to do with your basketball team, it was an audio company I used to own). I am in the Detroit area.

I think Seattle would be a great place for a team - especially with basketball not competing for season tickets anymore. The NHL wants a team there because of the high number of midwest and east coast transplants and there is a fan base with some money too.

Seattle won't get an expansion team, but don't be shocked to see the New York Islanders bolting Long Island in the next three years and the top 3 possible locations are Kansas City, Las Vegas and Seattle. Kansas City has an advantage because they have an NHL-ready arena now (they almost got the Nashville Predators two years ago). Las Vegas is iffy because, let's be honest, they'll be out of water in 20 years and the whole gambling thing scares professional leagues. But I think the NHL would love to see that Seattle-Vancouver rivalry build and it is a much bigger city than Kansas City, isn't it?

Seattle Metropolitans would be an okay name...since they won a few cups with that, eh? No way they will be called Celtics, the Boston basketball team would have a fit and threaten to sue. Seattle Seals is goofy sounding. Seattle Monarchs (for King county). Seattle Sound might work on a couple of different levels. I would not expect the Islanders name to travel with them, but there are a lot of islands around there, right?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 AM

107 posts, read 337,659 times
The Sasquatch

Old 01-31-2009, 05:10 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
Hey guys (don't be offended by the "Sonics" in my name, it has nothing to do with your basketball team, it was an audio company I used to own). I am in the Detroit area.

I think Seattle would be a great place for a team - especially with basketball not competing for season tickets anymore. The NHL wants a team there because of the high number of midwest and east coast transplants and there is a fan base with some money too.

Seattle won't get an expansion team, but don't be shocked to see the New York Islanders bolting Long Island in the next three years and the top 3 possible locations are Kansas City, Las Vegas and Seattle. Kansas City has an advantage because they have an NHL-ready arena now (they almost got the Nashville Predators two years ago). Las Vegas is iffy because, let's be honest, they'll be out of water in 20 years and the whole gambling thing scares professional leagues. But I think the NHL would love to see that Seattle-Vancouver rivalry build and it is a much bigger city than Kansas City, isn't it?

Seattle Metropolitans would be an okay name...since they won a few cups with that, eh? No way they will be called Celtics, the Boston basketball team would have a fit and threaten to sue. Seattle Seals is goofy sounding. Seattle Monarchs (for King county). Seattle Sound might work on a couple of different levels. I would not expect the Islanders name to travel with them, but there are a lot of islands around there, right?
How about the Pilots. Boeing is here in Seattle.

The Sound wouldn't be a good idea because Seattle is getting an MLS team called the "Sounders". Kind of a strange name IMHO.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM

6 posts, read 28,068 times
How about the Seattle Blizzard? Seattle Bullets? For an arena, we could call it the Starbucks Arena or Starbucks Rink, as a slogan for the arena, something like, "Love our coffee? Try our Hockey!" or "If you liked our coffee, you'll LOVE our hockey!" Someone give me ideas for team colors for the bullets or blizzard, ESPECIALLY THE BULLETS!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 AM

5 posts, read 10,790 times
The Canucks don't televise in the Seattle market - they would have no claim.

I like Metropolitans or Metros but it might be too similar to the NY Mets? However I can't believe no one has mentioned the Totems (saw them a few times back in the day) - a very popular old WHL member:

Seattle Totems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Re: the arena situation - if the pols can't come up with a mere 75 mil funding to redo the Key and do it right (MAKE IT NHL READY!) then this thread is irrelevant as is Seattle to the NHL and NBA (tho I don't care if those SOB's ever come back!)

Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
long overdue my friend, LONG OVERDUE
We NEED One, there are cities out there that get NOTHING from having an NHL team ex. Phoenix, TB, Carolina, as far as Phoenix goes, Seattle could probably gate more for one game than Phoenix gets in a whole SEASON!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSucks View Post
Seattle Grungy Looking Smack Addicts
Seattle Syringes
Seattle 5 Buck Coffees
Seattle Windows Vistas
Seattle Super Vomits
SeattleSucks, you're wasting everyone's time, those ideas SUCK! Add to the ideas or stay off the post!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I believe the NHL doles out teams.....by $$bid (and favoritism). They have pretty much decided that there will be no more expansion teams, so other cities have to wait now till one of the current NHL team owners decides to divest himself of a losing interest.

I believe in recent years, the Phoenix Coyotes, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, the Washington Capitals, and Columbus Blue jackets have been close to insolvency.

But I remember that Seattle money has shown interest in NHL hockey teams before....and lost....or been cold shouldered. The NHL is an insiders organization, a good-ole-boys network. Or massive money. Seattle has neither.
Love to see the Caps or Pens come, it'd really help to have Ovechkin or Sid The Kid on our side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area