Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 PM

40 posts, read 142,599 times

Advertisements

I realize this is going to be inflammatory right from the start, but I really need to get at the heart of this question. I'm born and raised in Seattle, and most of my young adult life I've been told by friends that moved here that women are generally better-looking in other cities. I didn't believe it, and grouped it in with other newcomer complaints (the weather, the traffic, the "Freeze", etc.), but I'm now fully convinced it is both very true and actually quite an understatement.

I just returned from a 3-month US tour for a promotion gig I got out of college. During the tour, we went to numerous states and cities. Too many to list, but some of the stops were in LA, Austin, NYC, Chicago, and Miami. This was my first time traveling so extensively outside of the Pacific Northwest, so I didn't know what to expect as far as the women I would meet. Now, I'm a single guy, so as a disclaimer, looking for an attractive woman is pretty much all I'm about at this stage in my life. As such, here is what I've noticed about Seattle women compared to the hotties in other cities:

1. Seattle women don't do much to make themselves appealing. Many women in other cities, no matter the occasion, usually wear make-up and style their hair. Not being used to this, I was really floored by how much more attractive these little details can make women look. For the first month or so, in LA and Austin, I truly felt like every woman I saw was model material. My question: women of Seattle, why don't you even try to "spruce yourself up" a little bit? Why are you always make-up-less and have your hair bunched up in a pony-tail? Worse, why do you opt for non-prescription glasses instead of make-up? It almost seems like your purposely going in the OPPOSITE direction of hotness...

2. Seattle women do not wear sexy clothing. Not saying I want to undress every woman with my eyes, but Damn! women in other cities sure know how to show off the goods. Why is every woman in Seattle dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt 9 months out of the year? I know people cite the weather as a factor, but apparently, based on conversations I've had, the mini-dresses don't go back in the closet during the winter in NYC and Chicago - women continue wearing them despite 15-degree weather. So what's with the puritanical streak here in Seattle? Who told women it was immoral to show some flesh every now and then?

3. There have to be some sorts of hereditary or environmental factors affecting the physical attractiveness of Seattle women. Compared to women in most cities, Seattle women appear "mousy". They lack the full features, large bright eyes, sensuality, and general "model" look of women in other cities. Is this because of a highly German or Scandinavian influence? Are women in other parts of the US more affected by Spanish, Italian, or some other ancestral traits? I don't know.

4. Beyond physical attractiveness, Seattle women don't appear as healthy as the women in the other cities. I was amazed by how tall, fit, strong, tanned, and just... HEALTHY... a lot of women in these cities appeared. Do they eat better, work out more, or again is it just hereditary? This is the most striking difference to me. When I came back to Seattle, every women seemed about 4" shorter, 30 lbs lighter (but not in better shape), and 10 shades paler.

5. Women outside of Seattle smile. Like constantly. They laugh at everything and seem to always find amusement in life. I know what everyone says about us Seattlites - the "Freeze", the cold demeanors, etc. - but a smile literally makes a woman about 50 times more attractive. Along these lines, I noticed the rarity of finding a girl buried in her phone when she was out socializing. It contrast to Seattle women, a girl out for the night is engaging with those around her, happy, and sometimes even sexually aggressive.

I really would love some answer to these questions. Why don't the women of Seattle practice what appear to be very common beauty and fashion habits? Do they not want to be beautiful? Is that just not a goal here? If so, why? And WHY OH WHY do I live in the only place that women don't want to be beautiful?!

Last edited by 206traveler; 10-12-2013 at 12:53 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
I realize this is going to be inflammatory right from the start, but I really need to get at the heart of this question. I'm born and raised in Seattle, and most of my young adult life I've been told by friends that moved here that women are generally better-looking in other cities. I didn't believe it, and grouped it in with other newcomer complaints (the weather, the traffic, the "Freeze", etc.), but I'm now fully convinced it is both very true and actually quite an understatement.

I just returned from a 3-month US tour for a promotion gig I got out of college. During the tour, we went to numerous states and cities. Too many to list, but some of the stops were in LA, Austin, NYC, Chicago, and Miami. This was my first time traveling so extensively outside of the Pacific Northwest, so I didn't know what to expect as far as the women I would meet. Now, I'm a single guy, so as a disclaimer, looking for an attractive woman is pretty much all I'm about at this stage in my life. As such, here is what I've noticed about Seattle women compared to the hotties in other cities:

1. Seattle women don't do much to make themselves appealing. Many women in other cities, no matter the occasion, usually wear make-up and style their hair. Not being used to this, I was really floored by how much more attractive these little details can make women look. For the first month or so, in LA and Austin, I truly felt like every woman I saw was a supermodel. My question: women of Seattle, why don't you even try to "spruce yourself up" a little bit? Why are you always make-up-less and have your hair bunched up in a pony-tail? Worse, why do you opt for non-prescription glasses instead of make-up? It almost seems like your purposely going in the OPPOSITE direction of hotness...

2. Seattle women do not wear sexy clothing. Not saying I want to undress every woman with my eyes, but Damn! women in other cities sure know how to show off the goods. Why is every woman in Seattle dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt 9 months out of the year? I know people cite the weather as a factor, but apparently, based on conversations I've had, the mini-dresses don't go back in the closet during the winter in NYC and Chicago - women continue wearing them despite 15-degree weather. So what's with the puritanical streak here in Seattle? Who told women it was immoral to show some flesh every now and then?

3. There have to be some sorts of hereditary or environmental factors affecting the physical attractiveness of Seattle women. Compared to women in most cities, Seattle women appear "mousy". They lack the full features, large bright eyes, sensuality, and general "model" look of women in other cities. Is this because of a highly German or Scandinavian influence? Are women in other parts of the US more affected by Spanish, Italian, or some other ancestral traits? I don't know.

4. Beyond physical attractiveness, Seattle women don't appear as healthy as the women in the other cities. I was amazed by how tall, fit, strong, tanned, and just... HEALTHY... a lot of women in these cities appeared. Do they eat better, work out more, or again is it just hereditary? This is the most striking difference to me. When I came back to Seattle, every women seemed about 4" shorter, 30 lbs lighter (but not in better shape), and 10 shades paler.

5. Women outside of Seattle smile. Like constantly. They laugh at everything and seem to always find amusement in life. I know what everyone says about us Seattlites - the "Freeze", the cold demeanors, etc. - but a smile literally makes a woman about 50 times more attractive. Along these lines, I noticed the rarity of finding a girl buried in her phone when she was out socializing. It contrast to Seattle women, a girl out for the night is engaging with those around her, happy, and sometimes even sexually aggressive.

I really would love some answer to these questions. Why don't the women of Seattle practice what appear to be very common beauty and fashion habits? Do they not want to be beautiful? Is that just not a goal here? If so, why? And WHY OH WHY do I live in the only place that women don't want to be beautiful?!
I think you are dramatizing things a bit. While I can't argue that Seattle might not be on the top of the list when it comes to attractive women, I don't think that every other major city in the US absolutely blows it out of the water. Given NYC, LA and Miami are known to be among the most attractive cities in the US, the comparison to Seattle will obviously make it appear to be lacking substantially. However, not everyone in those cities is a supermodel and I'm sure you'd find that Seattle has more attractive women than a lot of rust belt cities and other dilapidated areas in the south and midwest.

Seattle does attract eccentric counter culture types that might not have fit in wherever they came from. This is most definitely a factor when it comes to the attractive/unattractive ratio. Every so often the women who appear really "out there," might overshadow the more "desirable" ones. Also, the NW attracts people who place less emphasis on superficiality. Some of the women you see in jeans and sweatshirts might be very attractive in a different setting, it is just not their priority to "dress to impress" all the time. While you might see as LA as having more attractive women, it is also immersed in material culture, which wouldn't be a pleasant atmosphere in the long run.

The last few weekends I've walked down Pike on Capitol Hill and there definitely is some eye candy. You might just need to keep an open mind and get out more.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post

The last few weekends I've walked down Pike on Capitol Hill and there definitely is some eye candy. You might just need to keep an open mind and get out more.
Where you look makes a difference.

Like the men here, it's a more laid back, casual city, and the guys that live here are perfectly happy with that. If you hang out around the department stores at Westlake, even in the Westlake bus tunnel station, you will see plenty of well dressed, attractive women. As for flesh, the young Japanese tourists more than make up for the locals in that regard. If you want to see healthy looking women try Alaskan Way at 7am, down by piers 66-70 and into the trail through Myrtle Edwards Park where they are all running in shorts even in the cold weather. Despite being more than double their age, I chat with many attractive young women every day while waiting for the bus, who are very friendly. I suspect that they enjoy chatting to someone "safe" who is older and married and may just not have been interested in someone like you who is apparently looking for something they don't want.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 PM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
When I was in Seattle for my scouting trip I saw so many gorgeous and beautiful women, and if they don't show it off it gives you something to look forward to and appreciate if they allow you to see more of what most guys can only dream of seeing.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:39 PM

40 posts, read 142,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Where you look makes a difference.

Like the men here, it's a more laid back, casual city, and the guys that live here are perfectly happy with that. If you hang out around the department stores at Westlake, even in the Westlake bus tunnel station, you will see plenty of well dressed, attractive women. As for flesh, the young Japanese tourists more than make up for the locals in that regard. If you want to see healthy looking women try Alaskan Way at 7am, down by piers 66-70 and into the trail through Myrtle Edwards Park where they are all running in shorts even in the cold weather. Despite being more than double their age, I chat with many attractive young women every day while waiting for the bus, who are very friendly. I suspect that they enjoy chatting to someone "safe" who is older and married and may just not have been interested in someone like you who is apparently looking for something they don't want.

They would rather talk to an old, married guy than a younger, good-looking guy of dating age? That doesn't make much sense. (BTW, hope your wife isn't reading these posts, pal...)

Also, I was born in Seattle and have lived here my whole life. I know that it's a laid back, casual city. Doesn't mean it has to be an unattractive city.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:42 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
1. Seattle women don't do much to make themselves appealing. Many women in other cities, no matter the occasion, usually wear make-up and style their hair. Not being used to this, I was really floored by how much more attractive these little details can make women look. For the first month or so, in LA and Austin, I truly felt like every woman I saw was model material. My question: women of Seattle, why don't you even try to "spruce yourself up" a little bit? Why are you always make-up-less and have your hair bunched up in a pony-tail? Worse, why do you opt for non-prescription glasses instead of make-up? It almost seems like your purposely going in the OPPOSITE direction of hotness...
This is one of the creepiest posts I've read on C-D, unless the OP is 14 years old, in which case it makes perfect sense.
But ... If you're an adult, 206Traveler, please note that the purpose of women - their reason for living, their goal in life - is not just to be "eye candy" for young guys!
Maybe these women you criticize have a good reason for not getting all dolled-up so as to spark your interest. Maybe they're happy just the way they look, maybe they're too busy living their life, maybe their mate likes them just as they are.
And if it's eye candy, makeup, flirtatiousness, constant laughing, tanned bodies you want ... my guess is you wouldn't be any more attractive to the women you denigrate than they are to you.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:46 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
Liberal women tend to be unattractive.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
This is one of the creepiest posts I've read on C-D, unless the OP is 14 years old, in which case it makes perfect sense.
But ... If you're an adult, 206Traveler, please note that the purpose of women - their reason for living, their goal in life - is not just to be "eye candy" for young guys!
Maybe these women you criticize have a good reason for not getting all dolled-up so as to spark your interest. Maybe they're happy just the way they look, maybe they're too busy living their life, maybe their mate likes them just as they are.
And if it's eye candy, makeup, flirtatiousness, constant laughing, tanned bodies you want ... my guess is you wouldn't be any more attractive to the women you denigrate than they are to you.
Definitely a common theme of complaints for men though. But it also goes to show just how absorbed those men are because... hello! The men here also do not dress to the nines and generally dress just as "sloppily". If a man wants a woman to be dolled up or even "presentable", then Bellevue and cities of that ilk is the right kind for that man. He's more likely to bump into those kind of women, just as he's likely to bump into men that dress a bit better. Seattle does not care for appearances and does not take that as a value of character-- and it shows.

OP, since you said you grew up here, you should already know this. People here see a woman who's completely dolled up and tanned all the time-- they're not going to think that highly of the said woman. They see a high-maintenance (difficult) woman or they see a B###h who's more likely to be controlling -- sometimes she's even both. A lot of men are going to steer away from her. Otherwise, ladies here do put on makeup and dress up, whether it's the nightlife or girl's night out or whatever. You just need to get out and look.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Hahah way to lay it out. We go to seattle for long vacations as my hubby is from there and in laws are there. I did notice women didn't really like to be noticed too much. However I did see many attractive women in Bellevue and downtown Kirkland. I also realized I got some rude glares probably because I'm a girl who does her hair and makeup everyday and works out. Then again I get rude glares where we live now (Scottsdale) for reasons unknown to me.

I think a lot of it is the Scandinavian culture as we generally don't like to be the center of attention. However that doesn't mean don't look nice. As for the mousy look, I notice that too. All I can say is, it's amazing what hair color or highlights can do for a gal. That will get rid of that mousy look.

All this to say while looks aren't everything and won't carry a crummy attitude I'm totally on the plane that even minimal makeup and a bit of hair color can do wonders and really enhance ones natural beauty.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:17 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's difficult to maintain an extensive makeup job and a fancy expensive styled hairdo when it is raining on you 365 days out of the year,

4 inch heels are not all that good for puddles or mud and it is expensive to keep replacing costly high end shoes that have been ruined by water.

OP's only viable solution is to move away from Seattle. He's obviously not happy where he is. Maybe some hot weather beach somewhere that includes the wearing of bikinis, which are not, incidentally, very suitable for the weather in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area