Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

10 min in the spitty mist people call "rain" here is nothing. Buy a nice jacket that is waterproof with a hood. I bought mine from Eddie Bauer 6 years ago and it's bulletproof and keeps me warm and dry even after being in the "rain" for an hour. Seriously, you won't need to drive. Relax

I'd be more worried about not being able to drive down and up the hill when it snows and the road ices over than the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:42 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Whoops, meant 2 miles, not 2 hours...

Old 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
10 min in the spitty mist people call "rain" here is nothing. Buy a nice jacket that is waterproof with a hood. I bought mine from Eddie Bauer 6 years ago and it's bulletproof and keeps me warm and dry even after being in the "rain" for an hour. Seriously, you won't need to drive. Relax

I'd be more worried about not being able to drive down and up the hill when it snows and the road ices over than the rain.
The other day when it was raining and windy as I walked up through the market to the bus I noticed that no one had an umbrella. Almost everyone was wearing a water-repellant jacket with hood (including me). I still do the walk in snow, just wear boots and carry work shoes in my backpack to change when I get there.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 AM

58 posts, read 90,791 times
Quote:

That's a good point. I didn't think about that. I might have picked the more expensive place that is near the central area if I read your post earlier.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The other day when it was raining and windy as I walked up through the market to the bus I noticed that no one had an umbrella. Almost everyone was wearing a water-repellant jacket with hood (including me). I still do the walk in snow, just wear boots and carry work shoes in my backpack to change when I get there.
This may sound stupid but aren't you worried that your pants will get wet in the rain?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cezar9 View Post
That's a good point. I didn't think about that. I might have picked the more expensive place that is near the central area if I read your post earlier.
If it's the places I'm thinking you're talking about ... yeah, my wife and I toured those apartments and weren't thrilled that we'd essentially be living in an apartment that is the equivalent of a upscale motel with motel-quality on-site amenities. It was clearly one of those "minimum required low-income" deals. We considered applying on the sole grounds that it would be ridiculously cheap and allow me to save up to buy a house much quicker. In the end we went into the central business area apartments just because the unit was 1000% nicer, the amenities not run down, and I didn't have to rely on the cleaners for everything.

The only downside to renting in the central business area is the noise. No matter where you rent, you will have ambulances carting dead old people away from the old peoples' home, noisy people going to restaurants below you, or fire alarms because of how close you are to the fire house. That and you're surrounded by renters who typically don't give two dumps about public property or shared property and mess it up first chance they get.

In the end the suit made the man, so to speak, and we eventually bought a house and moved out satisfied customers.

The ice and snow is rare luckily, so it won't be too often you'll have to work from home/call in "sick."

Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
If it's the places I'm thinking you're talking about ... yeah, my wife and I toured those apartments and weren't thrilled that we'd essentially be living in an apartment that is the equivalent of a upscale motel with motel-quality on-site amenities. It was clearly one of those "minimum required low-income" deals. We considered applying on the sole grounds that it would be ridiculously cheap and allow me to save up to buy a house much quicker. In the end we went into the central business area apartments just because the unit was 1000% nicer, the amenities not run down, and I didn't have to rely on the cleaners for everything.

The only downside to renting in the central business area is the noise. No matter where you rent, you will have ambulances carting dead old people away from the old peoples' home, noisy people going to restaurants below you, or fire alarms because of how close you are to the fire house. That and you're surrounded by renters who typically don't give two dumps about public property or shared property and mess it up first chance they get.

In the end the suit made the man, so to speak, and we eventually bought a house and moved out satisfied customers.

The ice and snow is rare luckily, so it won't be too often you'll have to work from home/call in "sick."
We ended up renting a condo from a private owner, not too far from the sunrise senior living facility on 76th ave. All the apartment management companies seem to have a terrible reputation, so we thought that we would get a little more flexibility from a private owner. Also, we thought that living in a privately owned building will be better than living in an apartment building with hundreds of tenants. The only downside is the hill on 29th street but it is probably worth it for $300/m difference in rent.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,434 times
Quote:
Hi,

I really liked the MI area and decided to look at rentals in the area. However, I am a little concerned about the commute to downtown Seattle. How bad is the MI park and ride in the morning? Will I be able to find a spot effortlessly around 7:20 am during the week?

Thanks for all the responses.
I've been using the MI Park and Ride for a little over a year. Ordinarily, I try to get there by 7:40-7:45, and I usually get a parking space--though lately, it seems as though it's filling up a bit sooner. This morning, for instance, it was unusually crowded when I got there around 7:46, and I ended up driving home and walking the mile back to catch the bus.

If I arrived at the Park and Ride by 7:20 in the morning, I'd expect to have no trouble finding a parking space.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
I think they're planning on beefing up that park and ride before the light rail gets there. I don't know how soon that will be though.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
This may sound stupid but aren't you worried that your pants will get wet in the rain?
They do, but not too wet and dry off pretty quickly. Usually just from the knee down on the front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area