Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesspeach View Post
What is the cost of living in Seattle. I am thinking of moving over part time.

How much is simple sit down lunch, a to go lunch
how much is a simple sit down dinner, or a fancy dinner, or a take out dinner
how much is morning coffee
how much is bakery.

Coming from Vancouver originally I thought it's cheap here until I saw this post.

A drink that had cost $6 here in Canada cost me $2 in Seattle March 2014
All of those vary greatly, whether you want McDonalds or Starbucks. Generally when my wife and I go to a quick dinner at a brewpub it will be about $30 for two. A fancy dinner can run as much $100 for two.
Subway can get you a decent lunch for $6, a simple lunch at a sit-down restaurant might be $10-12 in the downtown areas.Having gone to Vancouver many times I would say we are still cheaper, but not by a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesspeach View Post
What is the cost of living in Seattle. I am thinking of moving over part time.

How much is simple sit down lunch, a to go lunch
how much is a simple sit down dinner, or a fancy dinner, or a take out dinner
how much is morning coffee
how much is bakery.

Coming from Vancouver originally I thought it's cheap here until I saw this post.

A drink that had cost $6 here in Canada cost me $2 in Seattle March 2014
Hmm. My experiences:

Simple sit down lunch at, say, the Greek place near where I live (small shop: healthy, fresh, not terribly elaborate plate plus drink) is about $12, somewhat arbitrarily. Go lighter fare, could be down to $10.

McDonald's, maybe $8 for a couple burgers, fries, and drink. Give or take.

Had Mexican dinner last night for two, casual, with no drinks and decent platters. Good food for what it was. $31, with tip. Seemed reasonable.

New Year's, went to a pretty nice place in Bellevue (M&S) and two appetizers, dinners, and soft drinks ran me a hundred. Thought that was more than acceptable considering how good it was plus the ambiance. '

Take it up a notch, to perhaps the Metropolitan Grill, hundred and a half to two hundred for two. Liquor and wine, add more.

Morning Starbucks grande mocha is a bit under five bucks.

Pastries from Piroshky Piroshky Russian bakery, adjacent to Pike Place Market, or a couple to-go muffins and donuts nearby, maybe $7 or so per person. Could be low as $5, but I'm adding a coffee to the lot.

I have no idea how that compares to rest of country, guess I've been in Seattle metro long enough I no longer find the matter of much interest.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
I've found very few differences in cost of food and restaurants nationwide. Even comparing my very small Ohio hometown with expensive places like Manhattan and San Francisco, prices are similar when you consider the quality of the food. Groceries can vary a bit due to tax differences - some states charge sales tax on food, and liquor taxes vary greatly. The most significant differences in food are not in price, but in availability. For instance, it's difficult to find fresh Alaskan salmon in stores and on menus outside the Pacific Northwest, but other regions are more likely to have quality fresh corn tortillas.

As for a drink that cost $6 in Canada but $2 in Seattle - that was almost certainly due to the fact that you got them at different places. Some restaurants are overpriced, and some are ridiculously cheap. That goes for any city. Prices DO vary at the international level, and I'd agree that food in Vancouver seems to be a bit more expensive. It's definitely not 3x as expensive as Seattle food.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
$2 drinks sound like happy hour... they're usually not that cheap.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Its pretty simple. Whatever the market will bear.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 PM

731 posts, read 935,847 times
I stay home with the kids now, so have really tried to keep costs down, especially eating out. I like the idea of Richmond VA or parts of NC. I'm a true Seattle girl, but I'm ready for a change of scene and I love the idea of being able to explore the East Coast (without living in the land of snow storms) and of being closer to Europe. I also like the idea of living in a less busy community without as much traffic, so you could live in the suburbs and actually get into the city without an hour of traffic. I know my house would cost much less, but when I got to thinking about other bills, I'm not sure I see those improving much. I would also like to experience more seasons than the rainy gray one. My husband could transfer with his company, but his rate of pay would go down moving away from here, so I guess I'm wondering if we could make that up with lowered cost of living or if it will end up being a bad financial move.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
I stay home with the kids now, so have really tried to keep costs down, especially eating out. I like the idea of Richmond VA or parts of NC. I'm a true Seattle girl, but I'm ready for a change of scene and I love the idea of being able to explore the East Coast (without living in the land of snow storms) and of being closer to Europe. I also like the idea of living in a less busy community without as much traffic, so you could live in the suburbs and actually get into the city without an hour of traffic. I know my house would cost much less, but when I got to thinking about other bills, I'm not sure I see those improving much. I would also like to experience more seasons than the rainy gray one. My husband could transfer with his company, but his rate of pay would go down moving away from here, so I guess I'm wondering if we could make that up with lowered cost of living or if it will end up being a bad financial move.
Yes, that would really depend on the city itself and you'd be better served if you go to those city's forum and ask what you could expect in terms of taxes, utilities rates, etc. It's a pretty common question.

Lots of places are better than Seattle in the rates and what they offer, and in some areas Seattle is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area