Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM

75 posts, read 254,788 times

Advertisements

I was just curious about Republican Influence?

I'm relocating to Seattle and I'm very political. Without getting into a debate,
lol I was just curious about the conservative parts of town and how (if any) effect that has.

I know Seattle is very Liberal!

On trips in the past I have always loved the people of Seattle, and it seems
like no where else in this country are people so actively involved in what they believe in.
No matter what side their on lol.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM

36 posts, read 153,837 times
You can look at any election history and see a distinct difference between Seattle and some of the suburbs. Broadmoor is the only neighborhood in Seattle proper that consistently votes Republican. It is a private gated community and golf club surrounded by the 43rd Legislative District, the most liberal district in the state. If you are conservative, you will probably find more kindred spirits on the Eastside (i.e. east of Lake Washington) in cities like Bellevue. For example, the county Republican office is in Bellevue (not Seattle), and the Dems are headquartered in Seattle. Most Republican political events (campaign events, visiting speakers, etc) take place on the Eastside, and conservative candidates fare well in elections there. Generally they don't even run candidates for any elections specific to the 43rd.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM

44 posts, read 165,703 times
Basically what svartkatt said. I don't think I've ever met more than a small handful of conservatives in Seattle proper, but on the eastside it seems like there's an even split between liberals and conservatives, and I'd like to note that the latter tend to be more economically-focused as opposed to religious NRA-types.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
I think you'll find in general, all the great cities in America are typically very liberal inside the city. Suburbs are another matter.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
In the last presidential election, I think Obama took about 80% of the votes within Seattle proper, so there are some Republicans. I don't think there's any neighborhood all Republican, but Broadmoor has a lot, as do neighboring Madison Park/Washington Park, and also the magnolia neighborhood.
It wasn't all that long ago that Seattle had Republican elected officials. Former Senator Slade Gorton hailed from Magnolia, and former Gov Dan Evans was from North Capitol Hill. The Seattle City council counted Paul Kraabel and Bruce Chapman as Republicans amongst them. Seattle had a fairly long history of having a sizable number of moderate/liberal Republicans, who now seem to be extinct.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seattle had a fairly long history of having a sizable number of moderate/liberal Republicans, who now seem to be extinct.
Yes, my peers are all Liberals/Democrats and they just can't comprehend how I "dare" to be Conservative. I don't really have to say anything but "I lean more towards the conservative side" or something to that effect. I will get rabidly attacked (verbally, never physical) about how I am "closed-mind, ignorant, racist". I am not even allowed to explain anything, nor get an opportunity to say anything. I attended Seattle University, UW Bothell and BCC. The first two, I even had Political Science professors scoffing at me. I had one professor at Seattle U who hated Libertarians and Republicans to a point he proudly bragged that he had no friends "wrongfully" leaning that direction. I was always comfortable at BCC because no one CARED. I could talk about whatever at BCC and it was respected as an individual opinion.

If you were to ask me: It's very politically stagnant here (unless you happen to agree with the mass). If you read Seattle PI or the Seattle times, do check out the Sound-off sections, I always enjoy reading it and it's very reflective of Seattle. During elections, sometimes I feel almost as though it's a David-and-Goliath situation. I was very disappointed when Dino lost both times.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, my peers are all Liberals/Democrats and they just can't comprehend how I "dare" to be Conservative. I don't really have to say anything but "I lean more towards the conservative side" or something to that effect. I will get rabidly attacked (verbally, never physical) about how I am "closed-mind, ignorant, racist". I am not even allowed to explain anything, nor get an opportunity to say anything.
And they're the ones who claim to be open-minded, tolerant, and liberal. As a libertarian, I am NOT looking forward to this aspect of Seattle when I move out there.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
I don't know if they still do, but the Libertarians would meet up every Wednesday (or the first Wednesday of the month) at the Azteca in Bellevue and converge, discuss topics, et c. So, hey they're there, just have to find them. I love my Libertarian friends!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM

51 posts, read 149,202 times
Just live where you want to live. Why does it matter? It's about how nice the people are in a neighborhood, not how they vote. At the end of the day you will still be you and others will still be themselves.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't know if they still do, but the Libertarians would meet up every Wednesday (or the first Wednesday of the month) at the Azteca in Bellevue and converge, discuss topics, et c. So, hey they're there, just have to find them. I love my Libertarian friends!
Oh, that would be great! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they still meet up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area