Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,381,466 times

Advertisements

While I don't support your wish for the Seahawks to lose, I do think Allen should have paid for the stadium himself. He could easily have built it with his own money and not even borrowed a dime and had billions left over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I can understand that. I had a lot of fun cheering for my Chicago Bulls in the Jordan era even though the United Center was a similar deal. But I hope you can understand my perspective too, with the history of the Kingdome and the bought election.
I completely understand your perspective. When Safeco Field was built, the taxpayers paid even a higher percentage of the costs than when they built Century Link.
I think that government provides some wonderful things. Libraries and parks, for example.
I'm not even totally against some kind of subsidy or tax incentive to keep things here. we've paid for some of the art museum and some of Benaroya Hall. I'm not against it. It's the scope I'm against. Team owners, who are almost all worth at least a couple of hundred million, ought to bear a little more of the financial risk, and shouldn't try to blackmail the taxpayers the way they have. I hated losing the Sonics, but I blame Howard Schultz and Clay Bennett for that. You don't have to love Paul Allen to love the Seahawks. Now go put on the Hawk head, with a shirt with the number 3 on it, and join your crazy neighbors.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
I totally agree that for the money they spend to build stadiums, for the King Dome to only last 25 yrs is a joke.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,054,420 times
The worst part is the politicians said that the residents of King County would pay for THEIR stadiums. The STATE taxpayers would not be on the hook for ANY of the costs.

Since that "promise" was made almost 500 million dollars of state lottery funds has been transfered to fund the stadiums!!!

King County needs to pay back the state taxpayers!!!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:29 PM

413 posts, read 790,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The worst part is the politicians said that the residents of King County would pay for THEIR stadiums. The STATE taxpayers would not be on the hook for ANY of the costs.

Since that "promise" was made almost 500 million dollars of state lottery funds has been transfered to fund the stadiums!!!

King County needs to pay back the state taxpayers!!!
Stow your righteous indignation. King County and some neighboring counties are net donors to the state budget and most of the rest of the state is a net recipient.

King County doesn't owe the rest of the state. The rest of the state owes King County.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:35 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,054,420 times
All the Stranger article shows is that some per capita costs are higher in eastern Washington.

Go to the Office of Financial Management site for the state of Washngton and snoop around there for awhile. It is an eye-opening experience.

Well, western Washington voters want to provide services to illegals and others. Should we pay for them? I just recently ran into TWO multi-millionaires that are getting the state Government subsidies for ObamaCare. You know the subsidy is based on line 37 of your 1040....not the vineyard you own or the 1/2 mile of prime riverfront!! So now Inslee wants their heirs to keep the property when they die rather than using it to pay off the state taxpayers.

The other is that most major western Washington corporation are exempt from paying taxes. Weyerhauser, Microsoft, Boeing, PacCar, and others pay just 6.5% of the B&O tax in the state!! That info is also on the Office of Financial Management site.

Trust me I worked as an economist for the government for several years. I looked into the issue. I near as I could tell its a push between the two halves of the state.

Besides a promise by a politician should be kept. Their your stadiums...you wanted them...and said you would pay for them.

Last edited by 509; 01-18-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 04:51 PM

413 posts, read 790,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Besides a promise by a politician should be kept. Their your stadiums...you wanted them...and said you would pay for them.
How about this: we'll pay you back when state legislators outside of Western Washington stop holding Seattle's public transit funding hostage as a political bargaining chip. Deal?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,886,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Allen doesn't own the stadium.
I do believe he owns every parking structure surrounding the stadium however ... he's not stupid!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 PM

634 posts, read 897,877 times
I voted against both stadiums, and I believe Safeco Field was rejected by the voters and the legislature found a way to do it anyway, so much for elections!

The rich get richer, especially the 1% of the 1%. No point in gettin yer undershorts in a wad over it. I liked the kingdome too and miss it in some ways, as ugly an eyesore the place was, they could have done something with the roof maybe, made it look less like a giant concrete gray blob, I don't know.

Regardless, I wish the team the best, even though I am not a football fan and won't lose a minute of sleep over the net results, I'm happy it's the last game of the season so the neighborhood will quiet down, at least til baseball starts up.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 PM

603 posts, read 878,077 times
This is the story around the entire country for probably 80% of stadiums.

I'm glad the building is being utilized for multiple sports/events, which makes its cost more justifiable. It would have been a disaster if the Clink ended up being like most outdoor NFL stadiums and only being utilized 8 days per year.

Anyhow, enjoy the game tomorrow you bandwagon fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area