Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,485 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in relocating to Seattle, among other large cities, and keep reading about people who complain about people not being friendly, or not wanting to be their friend, etc. I am a complete introvert. I am very friendly and usually make friends at work, because over time we spend more time with people at work than anywhere else. Honestly, I don't like when my neighbors want to know my business. At my last apartment my cat went out all the time and was so cute in the tall grass everyone loved talking about her. Well, every time I'd come home the neighbors would be sitting on their patio and all they'd want to talk about with me is my damn cat! I don't mind saying hi but geez...get a life!

Ok, I digress....I don't want to be around rude people, of course nobody does, but if I take a train or bus and no one makes eye contact or smiles at me I'm perfectly fine with that! Is the "freeze" offending only to those who want to make friends with everyone they come across? If that is the case, I may be perfectly fine there and actually be one of the freezing ones lol..

My personality is one that would rather do most anything alone. I love doing things alone while exploring a city. If someone invites me to a Pampered Chef party or something I will make every attempt possible to find an excuse not to go...does it sound like Seattle would be a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
I think you would fit in perfectly in Seattle. If you get a job here, you'll make some friends that way.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:33 PM

413 posts, read 789,965 times
It doesn't sound to me like you'd have a problem here.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Those who complain about the Seattle Freeze are basically complaining about the introverted ways of Seattle. Would an introvert have an issue with an introverted culture? Personally I think not.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Seattle people aren't really rude. Socially awkward? Sure. They may lead the nation in the highest percentage of socially awkward introverts. Join the club. You'll fit in fine, or at least you won't feel more awkward than anybody else.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersgal View Post
I'm interested in relocating to Seattle, among other large cities, and keep reading about people who complain about people not being friendly, or not wanting to be their friend, etc. I am a complete introvert. I am very friendly and usually make friends at work, because over time we spend more time with people at work than anywhere else. Honestly, I don't like when my neighbors want to know my business (snip) My personality is one that would rather do most anything alone. I love doing things alone while exploring a city. If someone invites me to a Pampered Chef party or something I will make every attempt possible to find an excuse not to go...does it sound like Seattle would be a good fit?
Heck, you'll fit right in here. I keep well-clear of my neighbors and their business, outside of neighborhood business (pretty rare). Don't make a ruckus here, I think you won't be disturbed much. My good citizenship extends to fitting into the neighborhood norms, yet not getting involved in the drama. I see a *lot* of people in my area (Kirkland) doing the same thing, though must admit that could be observer-bias (seeing what I want to see). Others suggest it's a real thing, though, see various threads here and elsewhere.

Wonder if you'll catch some flack on this thread for being part of the perceived "issue" instead of the "solution". I applaud your decision, if that's how you roll. I have no use for others getting in my face, and then getting all bent out of shape if I don't respond the way they want me too.

"Too damn bad" for them about sums it up, though. You can quote me on that.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 AM

830 posts, read 1,539,241 times
Who came up with this idea of the "Seattle Freeze," anyway? The same is always said about New England, where I was born and raised and currently live (soon to move to Seattle.) New Englanders are considered unfriendly because they don't like to make small talk and won't go out of their way to approach newcomers. It's true, I don't know any of my neighbors and that seems totally normal. And I always hear, "in New England, people have fewer friends and it's hard to break into a circle, but the friendships which do exist are life-long friendships. In California, people have tons of friends and everyone's "friendly," but it's all superficial."

I've never lived in California, but I've visited and the few native Californians I've known HAVE been "friendly" to the point of actually overwhelming me, but it all seemed fake. (Not saying all Californians are fake, but these people have matched the stereotype.) So, given that another thread suggests a good number of newcomers to Seattle are from California, I wonder if the "Seattle Freeze" is not so much a real thing (or at least, no different from certain other places) but rather just a description of the difference between people in Seattle, and people in California. And the same "freeze" might be perceived when comparing California (and maybe other areas of the south and midwest) to many other areas of the country.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 10,485 times
Ha ha thanks everyone. I don't think I'll have any issues with fitting in or loving it there....I just want to make sure this so-called "freeze" isn't something that will make me hate it, like it seems to do to others who complain about it. I don't mind socially awkward...I don't feel that I'm awkward, I just prefer to be left alone. Maybe it's due to being an only child? I just have never felt comfortable around more than one person at a time unless it's work or something.

I have made good friends in California, I feel like they are just like everyone else (Northern). Although I have read people in LA and southern CA are a little more fake, so I don't really understand that.

I guess what I don't want to run into is RUDE people...of course no one does. If I do say a casual hi, and smile at someone, I'd prefer they return the pleasantry.

I will have to head up there for a visit in a couple weeks to see how it feels. Do you think I'll run into rain? lol j/k

Oh and congrats!!!!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
Yes!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Quote:
I guess what I don't want to run into is RUDE people...of course no one does. If I do say a casual hi, and smile at someone, I'd prefer they return the pleasantry.

I will have to head up there for a visit in a couple weeks to see how it feels. Do you think I'll run into rain? lol j/k
People here are polite til it's almost become a running joke. I think a lot of folk's issues with the 'Seattle Freeze' is when they interpret that politeness as friendliness. It can be, but it's often not, and somehow that's interpreted as being not genuine. Really though, I feel that people here are genuinely being polite - they just don't necessarily mean that as an invitation to further interaction.

Normally I'd say 'yes' - you'd be almost certain to run into rain this time of year, but it's been very, very dry and sunny this winter. Based on the past couple months, there's a good chance you won't see rain, but if it's clear - you'll get lovely views of the Cascades, Olympics and Mt Rainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area