Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,232 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move from Eastern Washington to the Seattle area. Logistics has proven more difficult than first expected, and I'm very tempted to just sign a lease so I'm in seattle for full-time job searching (instead of taking the Amtrak out each week)

Now, I'm all but settled on either Capitol Hill or U District.

I'm a 21 year old male with a job as the main host at a very nice, large restaurant. I also have some past experience in hotel front desk/night audit work as well as plenty of experience with aspects of running my own business (inventory management, customer service, accounting, etc)

I've heard Cap Hill is overcrowded and that leads me to believe it might be harder to find a job in the area.

My thoughts were I'd also have an advantage over many people in the U District, simply because I've been able to accumulate more experience the past few years than someone fresh out of highschool. However, that may be a bit too stereotypical, and I really don't know how much of the area is actually composed of college students.

I just don't want to make the wrong move and end up with a 1 hour bus ride to my job.

Clearly I need help. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
In your shoes, I'd probably look for something minimal and month-to-month like Apodments, until I had a job and some income. I wouldn't commit to a lease before knowing where I was going to work, and how much I would be earning.

I personally wouldn't move here without already having a job, but folks have different comfort levels about things like that, and I can understand that in retail and hospitality - it's not always possible to have something lined up in advance.

One of the reasons Cap Hill is so crowded is its proximity to DT. It also has great transit compared to many neighborhoods, which makes it one of the few places in this city where it's not that bad to live without a car. The U-dist probably wouldn't have many of the types of jobs you seem to be looking for. Cap Hill has more, but you'll probably want to focus on DT Seattle, or even DT Bellevue for that, and it's pretty easy to get to either place from both neighborhoods you've noted.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 AM

255 posts, read 660,819 times
One thing I have learned is to move near your job, not try to find a job near your home. If moving to a new place with new job, I would highly recommend finding a job first and then finding a place to live in that area. Do your due diligence and it will be worth the wait. Don't try to force things. Are you planning to have roommates? A front desk job at a hotel is going to be difficult to live on in Seattle by yourself unless you're an ultimate minimalist.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times
Thanks for the feedback. The apodments definitely look like something I could live in.

Quote:
One thing I have learned is to move near your job, not try to find a job near your home. If moving to a new place with new job, I would highly recommend finding a job first and then finding a place to live in that area. Do your due diligence and it will be worth the wait. Don't try to force things.
I am indeed a minimalist and I'm great with finances so the apodments would be fine for me (I already live in 250sq feet). As stupid as the plan may seem, I just feel it would be more difficult to find and solidify a job when I'm relying on a notoriously late train and the hospitality of an old friend who has a 9-5 job. Who would want to hire me in the middle of a move when there's 5 other local applicants 90% as good?

Old 03-01-2014, 02:34 PM

176 posts, read 299,863 times
Don't listen to who ever tells you not to move somewhere unless you have a job lined up. Unless you studied engineering/medicine or have 10 years of experience in a specific industry your not gonna find a job lined up. It's not because of the economy or whatever others will tell you, it's because things don't work out that way and never did. 95% of employees want to see the applicant face to face, it gives them a better feeling of who they are dealing with. As well they want to make sure you live in that specific city. You gotta think like a hustler and be one.
Get a room near Public transportation and you"ll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: