Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 23,111 times

Advertisements

Hi there - any input would be appreciated on our decision. My husband (and two small kids) and I are relocating to Seattle. We have done A LOT of research and he is out there this week looking at houses. We pretty much have it narrowed down to two houses and can't seem to decide. My husband will be working in South Seattle (near Safeco field) and we really don't want too much of a commute. One house is in Newcastle (very northern part of Renton) and is obviously closer to his job. The other is in Issaquah and is a little farther away, but is in a better "community" type setting. Both are very nice houses....pros and cons to both. Any advice from anyone out there? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 AM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
My husband works near the fields too! We lived in Issaquah for abouy a year when we moved here and loved it. We don't have kids yet but since you do it is worth the extra 10 minute commute for the school district. We moved to Bellevue last month, we are still in Issaquah School DIstrict but not far from Newcastle now. That area seems ok to us, It is part of Bellevue so it will have good schools as well. If we had children I would choose Issaquah over Newcastle, obviously since we did stay in the sd! Good Luck, choose the house that you like better since the sd's are pretty comperable!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 23,111 times
What was your husband's commute time to work from Issaquah? And you can give me the "real" version instead of the best case scenario

Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM

19 posts, read 90,055 times
Both Issaquah & Newcastle are very nice areas with good schools...the only thing I can think of is if you want to double-check the safety of the neigborhoods you're considering, you can check for any nearby sexual predators at National Sex Offender Registry (just type in the address), since you have small kids...Good luck deciding!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Issaquah, hands down.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:40 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhollow View Post
What was your husband's commute time to work from Issaquah? And you can give me the "real" version instead of the best case scenario
Well he took the bus and parked at the Highlands Park n Ride in Issaquah. Door to door was about 20-25 minutes if he gets on the bus that goes directly to his gargage and makes no other stops. 45 if he takes the long bus.

We now live 2 exits up 90 close to Seattle. We live in an area of Bellevue called Lakemont but still Issaquah School Dist. He gets the bus at Eastgate and it takes 10 minutes to town since he is the first off in town near the fields and the commute to the bus garage is 7 minutes. We love being so much closer but still in Issaquah SD. Heck I even still shop in Issaquah since it is all the closest.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Yes, Issaquah. Quieter. Less crowded than Newcastle. More trees. Lot more walking trails. Fewer malls. Just a stronger quality of life, I think.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM

309 posts, read 365,077 times
I also agree......Issaquah.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:27 AM

4 posts, read 23,452 times
I work in Newcastle.

Half of Newcastle is Issaquah School District and the other is Renton.

It depends where you live but Newcastle would be closer to South Seattle. Newcastle is right next to I-405 and I-90.

Newcastle has a very nice Golf Course and right next to Cougar Mountain (great trails).

City website.

www.ci.newcastle.wa.us/

I can answer any questions you have about Newcastle.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM

95 posts, read 380,348 times
Newcastle. The commute to Issaquah will take away lots of time from your family. Don't underestimate the value of your time. Traffic going to and from Issaquah can vary SO much. Newcastle is a very nice area. I know people who chose Issaquah to be on the "Eastside" and later regretted it. Sold the expensive house, and live a simpler life in Newcastle. You will likely be in Renton school district, and it is great. Very extensive list of opportunities in that district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area