Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times

Advertisements

One of the decisions I'm going to need to make when I relocate to Seattle is the view. From what I read about the weather in Seattle, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to pay extra for a water view. I'm thinking that even on those grey, misty days/nites that I should still be able to see some City lights if I have a City view. I'll eventually be buying a newish condo in a highrise and they seem to charge more for water views. Am I right about the water view vs City view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Nope, get the water view!!!! People talk about grey but the skies are multi layered here. To have a view of the water makes life much more enjoyable, not to mention your place more marketable if/when you ever decide to sell.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
I have an expansive city view from east of downtown (Central District) and prefer it for the reason you mention - the view is fantastic both day and night.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
We have had both. It really depends on what the water view encompasses, and how close to the water it is. I do love looking at the city lights, but when we had a fairly good view of the ship/boat traffic coming and going out of Elliot Bay - that was my favorite. You can usually see the water, and the islands. You may not be able to see the Olympics all the time, but I loved watching the weather move across the bay. Plus, if you are talking from DT or Belltown, a water view means max western exposure, and that's pretty nice. It makes Seattle feel bright, even on a cloudy day.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
We have had both. It really depends on what the water view encompasses, and how close to the water it is. I do love looking at the city lights, but when we had a fairly good view of the ship/boat traffic coming and going out of Elliot Bay - that was my favorite. You can usually see the water, and the islands. You may not be able to see the Olympics all the time, but I loved watching the weather move across the bay. Plus, if you are talking from DT or Belltown, a water view means max western exposure, and that's pretty nice. It makes Seattle feel bright, even on a cloudy day.
I hadn't even taken that into consideration! Thanks for the reminder!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Even on a cloudy day, looking at water is nice. Everybody's different. I like looking at the city/downtown at night, but during the day does little for me. If only the view mattered, the view from Harbor Avenue in West Seattle would be all I'd need. Water and downtown view.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:27 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Even with our peek-a-boo water view, seeing Mt. Baker covered with snow on a clear day and watching bald eagles fly around make it well worth it.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 AM

458 posts, read 958,157 times
I love looking at the water even on a grey day because it is expansive and adds interest and movement to the view.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There are condos along Western and Alaskan Way that have both water and city views. When the Highway 99 viaduct comes down in the next couple of years, their prices will skyrocket because many have that ugly structure and traffic also in their view now. Try also West Seattle, where there are homes with great views of both water and the city.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
As happy as it makes me to see the space needle among the clouds, I would definitely recommend a water view. Some of the water views here are pretty jaw dropping. Good luck whatever you choose. This is such a pretty place no mater what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area