Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,238 times

Advertisements

I've been living away from the Seattle area for many years now, but after just earning my master's degree in Chicago, I'm heading back West (as was my plan all along).

I'm now 27. Haven't lived in the Seattle area since I was 22. I got a taste for real metropolitan living in Chicago and loved it. Sold my car before I moved there, didn't own a car for 3 years. Took the L train everyone, or a bus, or road my bike. Everything is so walkable. It's almost going to be a mini reverse culture shock moving back, buying a (used) car, driving everywhere. The pace is just going to be different. I was back in Seattle 4-6 times a year while I was gone and whenever I came home Seattle just seemed so... small. The choices and variety in everything didn't seem to be there anymore. When I was a teenager, Seattle seemed gigantic and overwhelming but it doesn't feel like that at all anymore to me.

I'm going to be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in the city of Seattle with my girlfriend. Preferably two bedrooms as I am a video editor and would love my own room for an editing suite/office. I used to take over our living room as my workspace and it's too distracting. I'd get another 1BR with her though if it was a.) Pretty nice inside and b.) Located in an area that made it worth it.

In Chicago, we lived in Ravenswood, which is probably the equivalent of Ballard or Wallingford, and I also lived in River North, which is the equivalent of Belltown (girlfriend prefers the metropolitan feel of being surrounded by skyscrapers, I prefer an urban neighborhood feel).

It seems under $1400, and preferably more like $1100 or $1200, is totally unrealistic for Capitol Hill or Belltown, which are our first two neighborhood choices, respectively.

If I like urban neighborhoods with a little character, some good neighborhood pubs with good beer, and want to be able to afford an >$1400 2br apartment, where do you suggest? I'm seeing seemingly nice, affordable places up north in neighborhoods like Lake City and Northgate, but I feel like I won't feel like I'm in a city. More like a suburb. And nothing seems very walkable. When I say walkable, what I specifically mean/want is not somewhere where I can walk to literally do everything I need to do (I'll have a car), but I simply want to be able to walk to a close by neighborhood pub. Walk to the bus stop quickly. Just roam around the neighborhood if I feel like it.

Where are the up and coming neighborhoods that have decent rent and growing amenities? The Chicago equivalent would be Logan Square. After the bohemian Wicker Park neighborhood, which was at one point minorities and hipsters, became overrun by yuppies, Logan Square became the new, cheap, hipster/minority neighborhood with both cheap rent but lots of cool little bars, restaurants and breweries. You get a lot for your money in Logan Square. That's changing though, of course. Any equivalent in Seattle lately? Also keep in mind I don't consider a single Seattle neighborhood dangerous or ghetto or even remotely scary. After living in Chicago, that notion is laughable. While we're mostly looking at downtown, capitol hill, first hill, queen anne, and the whole north side, I would live almost anywhere in Seattle except West Seattle. West Seattle is too big of a ***** to me to get to. When friends lived there, it would be annoying. Just my opinion.

Also, I'd love to be somewhat near I-5.

I'm out of the loop completely. Fill me in please! This is gonna be a bit of reverse culture shock (I experience minor culture shock when I moved to Chicago).

TL;DR: Want to pick a neighborhood where I can find an apartment:

-1br/2br Under $1400 with decent interior. Not old and skanky or all 70s.
-Up and coming neighborhood?
-Somewhat youthful (22-35)
-Within walking distance of at least... something. Neighborhood pubs/retaurants would be best. Doesn't have to be Pike/Pine.
-Anywhere in Seattle (except West Seattle) that's somewhat close to I-5 (I'd sacrifice this if the place was cool enough. But since all my friends and my girlfriend's live in places like Renton, the far eastside, and Mountlake Terrace and we go see these people all the time, it would be a ***** to have to drive from far northwest Magnolia every time I wanted to get on the freeway. I just know I would hate that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the length, but I often see people post questions here and the most common response is: We need more information, budget, age, etc. So I think I gave you plenty of info! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,116 times
Fremont?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 PM

171 posts, read 356,057 times
Might want to check out Greenwood (Greenwood Ave NE & NE 85th St). They've remodeled the Fred Meyer in that neighborhood and you can't go wrong being close to Gorditos!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonista View Post
Might want to check out Greenwood (Greenwood Ave NE & NE 85th St). They've remodeled the Fred Meyer in that neighborhood and you can't go wrong being close to Gorditos!
For someone coming from Chicago, Greenwood (and most everything north of 65th, really) is hardcore suburban. Even parts of Ballard, Fremont, and Wallingford are very spread out compared to what the OP has experienced in Chicago.

OP, I think your best bets are the Central District and north Beacon Hill. These are probably Seattle's closest equivalents of Logan Square. Both are reasonably walkable, and they're both very close to Pike/Pine and downtown Seattle. Since these neighborhoods are on a hill, you'll get great views of the skyline from various intersections. The Central District has the advantage of being a short walk to all the stuff on the Hill, and Beacon Hill has the advantage of the light rail station. You're already pretty familiar with Seattle, but these neighborhoods are easily overlooked by visitors since they're a bit empty as far as commercial activity goes.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
Welcome back almost! Greenwood just north of Phinney Ridge for sure. Colombia City, parts of Maple Leaf, Roosevelt though getting more expensive. Parts of the Central District.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 AM

6 posts, read 10,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
For someone coming from Chicago, Greenwood (and most everything north of 65th, really) is hardcore suburban. Even parts of Ballard, Fremont, and Wallingford are very spread out compared to what the OP has experienced in Chicago.

OP, I think your best bets are the Central District and north Beacon Hill. These are probably Seattle's closest equivalents of Logan Square. Both are reasonably walkable, and they're both very close to Pike/Pine and downtown Seattle. Since these neighborhoods are on a hill, you'll get great views of the skyline from various intersections. The Central District has the advantage of being a short walk to all the stuff on the Hill, and Beacon Hill has the advantage of the light rail station. You're already pretty familiar with Seattle, but these neighborhoods are easily overlooked by visitors since they're a bit empty as far as commercial activity goes.
This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for, thank you. You know, in my searches I've completely overlooked Beacon Hill and I don't know why.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firkle View Post
I've been living away from the Seattle area for many years now, but after just earning my master's degree in Chicago, I'm heading back West (as was my plan all along).

I'm now 27. Haven't lived in the Seattle area since I was 22. I got a taste for real metropolitan living in Chicago and loved it. Sold my car before I moved there, didn't own a car for 3 years. Took the L train everyone, or a bus, or road my bike. Everything is so walkable. It's almost going to be a mini reverse culture shock moving back, buying a (used) car, driving everywhere. The pace is just going to be different. I was back in Seattle 4-6 times a year while I was gone and whenever I came home Seattle just seemed so... small. The choices and variety in everything didn't seem to be there anymore. When I was a teenager, Seattle seemed gigantic and overwhelming but it doesn't feel like that at all anymore to me.

I'm going to be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in the city of Seattle with my girlfriend. Preferably two bedrooms as I am a video editor and would love my own room for an editing suite/office. I used to take over our living room as my workspace and it's too distracting. I'd get another 1BR with her though if it was a.) Pretty nice inside and b.) Located in an area that made it worth it.

In Chicago, we lived in Ravenswood, which is probably the equivalent of Ballard or Wallingford, and I also lived in River North, which is the equivalent of Belltown (girlfriend prefers the metropolitan feel of being surrounded by skyscrapers, I prefer an urban neighborhood feel).

It seems under $1400, and preferably more like $1100 or $1200, is totally unrealistic for Capitol Hill or Belltown, which are our first two neighborhood choices, respectively.

If I like urban neighborhoods with a little character, some good neighborhood pubs with good beer, and want to be able to afford an >$1400 2br apartment, where do you suggest? I'm seeing seemingly nice, affordable places up north in neighborhoods like Lake City and Northgate, but I feel like I won't feel like I'm in a city. More like a suburb. And nothing seems very walkable. When I say walkable, what I specifically mean/want is not somewhere where I can walk to literally do everything I need to do (I'll have a car), but I simply want to be able to walk to a close by neighborhood pub. Walk to the bus stop quickly. Just roam around the neighborhood if I feel like it.

Where are the up and coming neighborhoods that have decent rent and growing amenities? The Chicago equivalent would be Logan Square. After the bohemian Wicker Park neighborhood, which was at one point minorities and hipsters, became overrun by yuppies, Logan Square became the new, cheap, hipster/minority neighborhood with both cheap rent but lots of cool little bars, restaurants and breweries. You get a lot for your money in Logan Square. That's changing though, of course. Any equivalent in Seattle lately? Also keep in mind I don't consider a single Seattle neighborhood dangerous or ghetto or even remotely scary. After living in Chicago, that notion is laughable. While we're mostly looking at downtown, capitol hill, first hill, queen anne, and the whole north side, I would live almost anywhere in Seattle except West Seattle. West Seattle is too big of a ***** to me to get to. When friends lived there, it would be annoying. Just my opinion.

Also, I'd love to be somewhat near I-5.

I'm out of the loop completely. Fill me in please! This is gonna be a bit of reverse culture shock (I experience minor culture shock when I moved to Chicago).

TL;DR: Want to pick a neighborhood where I can find an apartment:

-1br/2br Under $1400 with decent interior. Not old and skanky or all 70s.
-Up and coming neighborhood?
-Somewhat youthful (22-35)
-Within walking distance of at least... something. Neighborhood pubs/retaurants would be best. Doesn't have to be Pike/Pine.
-Anywhere in Seattle (except West Seattle) that's somewhat close to I-5 (I'd sacrifice this if the place was cool enough. But since all my friends and my girlfriend's live in places like Renton, the far eastside, and Mountlake Terrace and we go see these people all the time, it would be a ***** to have to drive from far northwest Magnolia every time I wanted to get on the freeway. I just know I would hate that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the length, but I often see people post questions here and the most common response is: We need more information, budget, age, etc. So I think I gave you plenty of info! Thanks!!
Definitely check out North Beacon Hill, it's up and coming for sure. Restaurants and other things already taking off near the light rail station, much more to come. N Beacon is the first stop outside of downtown when on light rail. It's an easy trip to SeaTac from there on the train or car, future light rail to Eastside will be nearby as well. I-90 is on the east side of the hill I-5 on the west, 520 isn't that far but why would you ever go there in the first place? And, West Seattle is actually an easy shot across the W Seattle Freeway which has been widened and upgraded. Last getting to Renton and other cities south, you have options I-5 or course, but Martin Luther King is a nice road these days, easy to travel south on, Rainier Avenue is still there or you can go the scenic route, down the shore of Lake Washington. They'll all get you there.

I'm not biased, wink, wink N Beacon is one of the best locations in the city to the east, west, south, downtown, airport or northbound. Plus Mt Baker via the Sam Smith Park on top of I-90 offers great walks, bike rides with lake and city views as a bonus. Mt Baker Ridge has restaurants, Columbia City is a hoping little place these days, Georgetown over the hill from there is picking up steam as well, as is the Jackson St corridor. There's a ton going on all around N Beacon Hill.

Last but not least, it is one of Seattle's most diverse and friendly neighborhoods. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
I like Central District personally. And yeah I second your thoughts about Seattle feeling relatively small once you've gone out and experienced the bigger cities. I grew up around there too and remember it used to seem like such a huge and foreboding place back when I was as high school kid in Kent and Renton. Funny how experience can change change your perspective

Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firkle View Post
This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for, thank you. You know, in my searches I've completely overlooked Beacon Hill and I don't know why.
There wasn't a whole lot there even by the rail station a few years ago. I visited in October 2010 to scout out potential neighborhoods and North Beacon Hill was on the list. After spending several hours driving around and checking it out it was crossed off the list because it wasn't developed enough. My guess was that because the rail station went in during the recession there wasn't much anticipatory development. But that was 3 years ago, and things have picked up.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
The problem with Beacon Hill is it's somewhat isolated from everything else with I-5 and I-90 wrapping around it. Didn't realize the train stopped there. I never had much reason to go up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area