Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:08 PM

50 posts, read 97,605 times

Advertisements

I have a suggestion - why not look into West Seattle? It has a vibrant "downtown" with lots of locally owned shops and restaurants, good schools, parks, and would be an easier commute than any suburb. There are some excellent townhouses available for $450k and under.

I raised my kids on Vashon Island and, if I had to do it over, I would have gone into a pocket of the city for convenience for my husband's commute, shopping, and ease of getting downtown for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever suggest the south sound? It's like people in Seattle think there is radiation down there or something. You can find a decent house with a view of the mountains or water for that price in the south kind county area. Schools aren't amazing but better then people give credit to. Des Moines and federal way have some great views or the water. Some areas in auburn have spectacular views of the cascade foothills and mt. Rainier. The fArthest in your commute range would be puyallup which has alot of great small town charm. As long as you aren't living in apartment complexes or hanging ou in sketchy places at night it's a great place to raise a family.
Haha. I actually really like South Sound. The schools are too sketch, though. There are some to-die-for views that are super affordable, and I'd be there in a heartbeat if we had no kids.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
How about Snoqualmie or Issaquah? Snoqualmie is about 30 minutes from Seattle and Issaquah is about 20 minutes(although that could vary depending on traffic). Both near the foothills and have that small town charm about them. They have both experienced a lot of growth over the last 10 years and Snoqualmie is especially booming.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM

171 posts, read 355,916 times
Normandy Park! It's a great neighborhood for young families and Marvista Elementary is a good school. Yes, your husband will have to deal with traffic/construction, but traffic is horrendous anywhere you go so in my opinion, it shouldn't be given that much weight in the decision-making process.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM

17 posts, read 27,984 times
What does everything think about Tacoma for a family with young children? Specifically the north-west end and/or the part of Tacoma up by Browns Point. The affordability and views are very compelling! I've read multiple threads about the industrial look, the supposed smell, the crime in the south-eastern part, etc. We're from northeast Philly so we tend to take the "ghetto" comments with a grain of salt. I really wanted a view/downtown within walking distance or under 10 minute drive. Also in terms of amenities I noticed a Trader Joes and Whole Foods in the vicinity. Am I missing something about Tacoma?

Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 PM

26 posts, read 53,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtx2 View Post
My spouse will be working in downtown Seattle and we have a 2 year old and a newborn (plus a dog). We are looking for suburbs with a commute of around 45-1hr with good elementary schools, maybe some small town charm and a view? I wouldn't mind having a coffee shop or little downtown nearby to hang out during the day. Our budget is around 450k. I saw a few places on Bainbridge Island that had the CHARM...but the ferry wouldn't work for us. Every time we move we seem to be about 20 minutes too far outside the city because it's more house for the money. I don't want to fall into that cycle again! Thanks for any help!
Why don't you move to the actual city? Not only would your family be able to gain a more cultured view on life, but you would reduce car emissions and other environmental impacts from living in a more dense and walkable location. Your children would have an array of experiences and they would grow up to be more interesting. Stop suburban sprawl and check out neighborhoods like Magnolia and Ballard, that have houses with yards, views, and neighborhood charm. Nice schools and you don't have to lie and tell people you live in Seattle when you really live in Seattle's suburban toilet.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:00 PM

347 posts, read 669,699 times
Not everyone wants to live in a city. Lots of people like living in suburban environments.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
Not everyone wants to live in a city. Lots of people like living in suburban environments.
Living in the suburbs is bad environmentally, socially, and healthily.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:38 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawkeaton View Post
Living in the suburbs is bad environmentally, socially, and healthily.
How much choice do many have when the affordable homes, good schools and less crime is found in the suburbs??? Fortunately for me, I found Issaquah Highlands: excellent transportation options, many social opportunities for myself and the family and miles and miles of fresh air and wilderness trails extending from the front door... except, well, despite being in the 'burb it's not nearly as affordable as it was a couple years ago

Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 AM

Less crime how? Typically more car related accidents happen than simple city crimes (like car break-ins) and these accidents are more occurrent in atmospheres with high drive necessity, like the suburbs. These crimes are more high risk. On top of this, people who live in the suburbs have negative health risks. The lack of walking and physical activity living in a driving necessary society drive up diabetes and health risks. Your children are receiving better transportation, more social opportunities with a diverse transportation, access to this 'fresh' air outside of the city and affordable homes, and a healthier, and safer environment in the city. People don't choose to live in the suburbs anymore, now they're typically just for those who can't afford the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area