Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 PM

32 posts, read 43,358 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I am a huge lurker and tire kicker, so it is a big deal for me to announce I am moving from L.A. to Seattle. I have been visiting for a long time, and have had a job with opportunities to transfer there. I finally set the wheels in motion with a transfer request, and anticipate arriving by mid summer. My wife has a big family on the east side. We plan to rent for a year and then buy. I'll probably be on here a bit as I'll have questions about specific areas. I just wanted to share I am super excited to be moving to Seattle and can't wait to call it home. I don't have any reservations. Just ready to soak it all in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Sounds like you're ready.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Welcome (almost) to our fine little hamlet!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Former Angeleno here. Feel free to reach out any time!

Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM

50 posts, read 97,623 times
You're going to love it!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:55 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Twice as exciting to see someone smart enough to arrive with a *job* beforehand. Those who arrive without make me nervous, from a risk perspective, 'cause it's a bummer to see the high cost of living here drive people away.

Read an article today about "sellers markets" in the U.S.: per Zillow, Seattle is No. 5 in the nation at the moment. Not so good for buyers. "In general, buyers in sellers' markets this spring can expect tight inventory, increased competition and a greater sense of urgency".

Most of the strongest seller's markets mentioned were out West. Strange times, RE real estate supply/demand and job market, yet national economy is still dodgy to say the least. Would be great to see more opportunity for buyers and renters here. As an owner, guess it's nice from an unrealized equity perspective, though taxes go up with arbitrary valuation increases, too.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:54 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Congrats! I also moved from decades living in SoCal. I love it up here!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 AM

51 posts, read 67,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Twice as exciting to see someone smart enough to arrive with a *job* beforehand. Those who arrive without make me nervous, from a risk perspective, 'cause it's a bummer to see the high cost of living here drive people away.

Read an article today about "sellers markets" in the U.S.: per Zillow, Seattle is No. 5 in the nation at the moment. Not so good for buyers. "In general, buyers in sellers' markets this spring can expect tight inventory, increased competition and a greater sense of urgency".

Most of the strongest seller's markets mentioned were out West. Strange times, RE real estate supply/demand and job market, yet national economy is still dodgy to say the least. Would be great to see more opportunity for buyers and renters here. As an owner, guess it's nice from an unrealized equity perspective, though taxes go up with arbitrary valuation increases, too.
This is way easier said than done. Employers favor nearby candidates over those from out of state, which I can totally understand why. I'm finding that even with professional engineering experience, I am SOL without a computer science/IT degree for remote job searching in Seattle. I still have hope, though.

Major props to the OP.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 AM

32 posts, read 43,358 times
I'm just very fortunate to have a job that has opportunities to work almost anywhere in the country. Since taking this job, it has taken me almost nine years to work up the "courage" to move from familiarity to some place new and largely unknown.

As for the sellers market, that is one of the things that is allowing me to move. Selling my house will be easy and I might even time it perfectly after I rent in Seattle for a year or two when we are knowledgeable and settled in to buy. Perhaps it will be a buyers market by then.

Any nerves are over overpowered by excitement. I'm really looking forward to embracing all the Pacific Northwest has to offer. I hate to admit Seahawks and beer are the first two things that come to mind, but yeah. I'm excited for Seahawks and beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: