Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,154 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some informative help.

I am relocating to Seattle from Denver and have no idea where I want to live.

I used to live in the NW (Portland for 2 years, Seattle for 6 months) back around 2007-2009. So I know the basics (weather, the people, etc.).

However, I spent most of my time downtown while I was there. Now I am looking for a place to live for an extended period of time (3-5 yrs).

Now to get to the important details:

I am a 29 y/o (almost 30) single male professional (engineer, but not your typical nerdy engineer). I enjoy outdoor activities, golfing, group sports like football, softball, etc. I work out 4-6 times a week so having a good gym nearby would be nice. I will be working downtown, and don't want to commute more then about 30 minutes max. I am out of the party scene, but don't mind going out for a cocktail or two after a long week (a reasonably social neighborhood would be nice).

Any suggestions on where I should live? I don't mind if it's suburbia, or downtown, just looking for some good suggestions from some locals.

Thank you in advance for your constructive suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:01 PM

50 posts, read 97,605 times
If you're only looking for a 30 minute commute, you'll be close to downtown, not suburbia.

You would likely enjoy Queen Anne - trendy, but not loud, some nice restaurants, easy access to 99. Or you might try South Lake Union - lots of development there in the past couple of years. West Seattle is nice, too, but there's the bridge to deal with (the C Line bus is really convenient and fast, though).

Gyms are everywhere, so it shouldn't be a problem.

How much space do you need? How much rent would you be comfortable with paying?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
What part of Denver do you live in?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
I notice a lot of people that aren't familiar with the city think there's some kind of line that divides the urban and suburban areas that coincides with the actual city limits. There isn't. The neighborhoods well inside the city are very suburban and many fit the definition of bedroom communities even though they have a Seattle address. Downtown ends about 10 miles from the actual suburbs, but what's in between isn't exactly urban compared to what you'd find in other cities.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I notice a lot of people that aren't familiar with the city think there's some kind of line that divides the urban and suburban areas that coincides with the actual city limits. There isn't. The neighborhoods well inside the city are very suburban and many fit the definition of bedroom communities even though they have a Seattle address. Downtown ends about 10 miles from the actual suburbs, but what's in between isn't exactly urban compared to what you'd find in other cities.
This is a very useful bit of info and I notice the same thing.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:10 PM

50 posts, read 97,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Exactly, and so many neighborhoods have their own "downtown" area that makes living there feel almost like small town living - West Seattle, Queen Anne (upper and lower).

Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 PM

24 posts, read 25,867 times
If you are interested in rentals in the Downtown / Belltown area, my MLS review of rentals which took place earlier today revealed 1 bedroom condos are ranging from 1,950 to 3,750 per mo. In the QA/Magnolia area, the rentals via the MLS are ranging from 1,450 to 2,295. The inventory is always changing and prices vary by location. Hope this is helpful!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw84 View Post
not your typical nerdy engineer ... I enjoy outdoor activities, golfing, group sports like football, softball, etc. I work out 4-6 times a week so having a good gym nearby would be nice. I will be working downtown, and don't want to commute more then about 30 minutes max. I am out of the party scene, but don't mind going out for a cocktail or two after a long week (a reasonably social neighborhood would be nice).
You sound like most of the typical nerdy engineers around here!!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:45 PM

269 posts, read 297,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw84 View Post

I am relocating to Seattle from Denver

Just don't tell anybody if you're still "SEASICK".

Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
What part of Denver do you live in?
I live on the border between Englewood and Littleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: