Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,787 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I've browsed through some older threads but was hoping to get some fresh perspectives on the topic.

I've been scoping out a new neighborhood to reside in and Queen Anne seems so charming to me that it keeps circling around as my main consideration. However, most of the rentals I'm drawn to happen to be in Lower Queen Anne (mainly the area around 3rd and 4th off of Roy and Mercer).

Now, I grew up around rougher neighborhoods, and have never felt particularly unsafe at any point in Seattle. Having said that, I'm also not swinging my purse through the air as I walk home alone at 1 in the morning.

I've been reading and hearing a lot, however, about how LQA is not safe and crime is worse than people think. Thoughts? The area is quite a bit busier than I'm used to (at least vehicle wise) as I tend to stick to the outskirts of places like Magnolia, Fremont, and Ballard. I've also heard some things about Kinnear Park being particularly bad as far as safety goes. From what I've observed, the area seems to be pretty lively with joggers, folks with kids from time to time, folks in their 20s and 30s roaming about.

Is this area unsafe? Would you feel safe walking home after dark (8pm or so?), would you let your daughter live there? I appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Whenever I was in Lower Queen Anne, it seemed a bit scuzzy at night, particularly with the homeless about. But I never felt unsafe. However, I'm a man. A woman may feel differently.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:17 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
No place in Seattle is going to be safe. You have to move to Bellevue for that. However, most of the crime in Seattle tends to be relatively petty--car prowls, assaults, bicycle thefts, etc. Have insurance, electronic security, CCW, and the training to use it.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:04 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
As mentioned, parts of lower Queen Anne can be a little, uh, unwholesome. I certainly wouldn't call the area "dangerous", but I'd advise being reasonably cautious and aware of your surroundings, especially at night.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:12 PM

50 posts, read 97,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
As mentioned, parts of lower Queen Anne can be a little, uh, unwholesome. I certainly wouldn't call the area "dangerous", but I'd advise being reasonably cautious and aware of your surroundings, especially at night.
Good advice for any and all areas.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:14 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Q). Is Lower Queen Anne safe?

A). If you are a small business owner, nowhere is safe in Seattle anymore. The thug Mayor will mug you out of your money until you move out to the suburbs. Yeah sprawl!

Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Q). Is Lower Queen Anne safe?

A). If you are a small business owner, nowhere is safe in Seattle anymore. The thug Mayor will mug you out of your money until you move out to the suburbs. Yeah sprawl!
Don't be a single-issue Sally.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,151 times
Lower Queen Anne is safe, but I wouldn't walk through Lower Kinnear Park after dark. I wouldn't walk through any Seattle park after dark, so it's not specific to LQA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area