Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM

279 posts, read 480,161 times

Advertisements

Thanks Ira500 and beautifulseattlehomes I love the feedback. it's all great info. Kind of offsets the negative aspects. I totally get that basically anywhere in Seattle is Urban. I was talking to a mailman in Madrona. He described Madrona as very diverse with different ethnicity, rich people, poor people, gay families and everything in between including crime to go along with it all. When in doubt talk to a mailperson. They typically know the hood better than anyone else. I was hoping to get to talk to others that lived in Madrona. I'm very interested in this area! If anyone has friends, cousins of friends, or cousins of even friends of friends of cousins that has an uncle that lives in Madrona I would love to speak with them on the phone.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
I totally get that basically anywhere in Seattle is Urban.
Actually most of Seattle is suburban with the exception of neighborhoods near the downtown core and a couple of the 'urban villages' like downtown Ballard. If you go up just north of the ship canal into Laurelhurst and Windermere you can see quite a difference between those neighborhoods and Madrona/Leschi even though they're all on the lake and within a few miles of one another.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,914,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Parts of it aren't even safe during the day! Read NewbiePoster's comment. On the west side of Madrona, the unexpected can happen at any time. Don't take anything for granted. I haven't seen the east side, though. I've heard it's very nice. If you're thinking of moving there, why not visit the area, and drive around, and talk to the neighbors. Stroll around on the east side of it, and ask questions when you see people out and about. Or check out the shops people recommend here, and chat with the locals. Do some reconnaissance. I always do that before moving into an area.
I was going to tease Ruth4Truth for living in a constant "State of Alert" but then I remembered I myself dialed 911 last summer on the street in Madrona!

Waiting at the bus stop across from the Madrona farmers market (the dreaded western edge) my son espied smoke coming from the utility pole. The fire department arrived within three minutes to chop out the cigarette burning inside before the whole thing went up like a creosote matchstick. Here are the kids cowering on the street in Madrona in the middle of the day.

(All in good fun, Ruth! )
Attached Thumbnails
Madrona area?  What's your opinion?-971681_10201146397569513_1603832298_n.jpg  

Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM
fnh

(Oh dear, I hope I didn't scare anyone off of Madrona by posting that crime scene photo.)

I ran out of time earlier but wanted to say, seattlefun, that talking to the mailman was a great idea. When we were considering buying in the CD I chatted with the pharmacist at the Walgreens on Jackson. On our first visit to look at the house the schools had just let out and kids were everywhere, including the drugstore. The pharmacist was so friendly and knew everyone by name, asking after their family members. The scene was so darn neighborly that it clashed with my then view of the CD, shaped by its former notoriety. I stayed just to be able to chat with him and get his insights on the area. That conversation really helped to assuage our concerns.

I wouldn't have similar fears in Madrona, though. If we could have afforded a second home in Madrona or Leschi rather than the CD, we would have bought there in a heartbeat. But after more than a year in the CD, I am content to visit you in Madrona.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I was going to tease Ruth4Truth for living in a constant "State of Alert" but then I remembered I myself dialed 911 last summer on the street in Madrona!

Waiting at the bus stop across from the Madrona farmers market (the dreaded western edge) my son espied smoke coming from the utility pole. The fire department arrived within three minutes to chop out the cigarette burning inside before the whole thing went up like a creosote matchstick. Here are the kids cowering on the street in Madrona in the middle of the day.

(All in good fun, Ruth! )
Thank you. I speak from experience. And yeah, in the middle of the day.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Ruth.... Can you share some of your experiences?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
(Oh dear, I hope I didn't scare anyone off of Madrona by posting that crime scene photo.)

I ran out of time earlier but wanted to say, seattlefun, that talking to the mailman was a great idea. When we were considering buying in the CD I chatted with the pharmacist at the Walgreens on Jackson. On our first visit to look at the house the schools had just let out and kids were everywhere, including the drugstore. The pharmacist was so friendly and knew everyone by name, asking after their family members. The scene was so darn neighborly that it clashed with my then view of the CD, shaped by its former notoriety. I stayed just to be able to chat with him and get his insights on the area. That conversation really helped to assuage our concerns.

I wouldn't have similar fears in Madrona, though. If we could have afforded a second home in Madrona or Leschi rather than the CD, we would have bought there in a heartbeat. But after more than a year in the CD, I am content to visit you in Madrona.
You can visit anytime.... Dinner is usually at 6:30 and Drinks at 5:45. Sometimes dinner gets delayed if the drinks are really good..... and even sometimes dinner turns into a liquid diet!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Recent experience?

Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 AM
fnh

Ruth, I'm sorry! I really was just trying to be silly tying your comment to your location (I see you're more relaxed now.) But, when you are a victim yourself I know it is not funny at all and it changes your entire perspective on an area. I love Madrona but certainly understand that if you've had a bad experience there you would want to warn others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area