Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 PM

279 posts, read 479,899 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Madrona in August. My 13 year old boy is a bit concerned and wants to know what other boys around his age are doing? I told him that they are probably doing the same thing they do here... Hang out at the beach, get tan, surf, skim board, etc. Okay well not really! He didn't find my joke funny either! I'm assuming kids up in Seattle skate, play video games, etc. any insight would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:56 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Having spent time as a teen in Seattle, I can say there's not much for teens to do there. An occasional visit to Seattle Center is good, hanging out at the various beaches on Lake Washington is good, there are probably skateboard parks these days...

IMO, Seattle isn't a good city for teens, but YMMV. We'll see what others say. Definitely contact the Parks Department for a schedule of activities. There are soccer leagues for all ages, and some of the community centers run by the Parks Dept. have martial arts classes, African marimba lessons and performance groups for teens, and other activities.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:00 PM

403 posts, read 681,146 times
Get him up into the mountains for hiking and backpacking trips. Memories to be made out there.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:02 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Get him up into the mountains for hiking and backpacking trips. Memories to be made out there.
This is true. Some summer camps in the area (there are several in the San Juan Islands) do this. Sailing and canoeing, as well.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Baseball, soccer, tennis, sailing and canoeing, skateboard parks, and even beaches on Lake Washington and Elliot Bay (Alki in West Seattle, Madrona Beach). There are also lakes with swimming, hiking and biking trails, and the Boys & Girls Clubs, which have teen programs and even paid teen internships.
I think the nearest is around 19th & Spruce. Here on the eastside they like to hang out at Pine Lake or Lake Sammamish. We only have summer in July and August, maybe 2 weeks of September, so people including kids take advantage of the beautiful sunny days in the 80s while they can.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
A lot of them smoke weed, so make sure that he finds more productive activities in a very drug friendly culture.

Considering that canoeing and climbing mountains every day in a city where the mountains are not 10 minutes from your house, nor is the weather always accommodating of all these activities, you will most likely have to find some activities that are not quite so enduring. Perhaps, getting him into book club or hobbyist group? I really would have lot to have found some kind of poetry type of group , myself, but in Seattle these are not easy to find. But, I have seen something like a Poetry Slam for the younger age groups. Try to focus on your son becoming an intellectual/overachiever at a young age and he may end up growing up to be with the more desirable element of Seattle rather than the more loathsome element that indulges in drugs, intoxication and clubbing.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 PM

236 posts, read 289,282 times
The teenagers I know are involved in the following activities in the Summer:

Swim team - check the pools around Madrona for tryout information
Soccer
mountain bike
play video games
learn to program ( they have cool classes, camps for this)
camping with groups of families
skateboarding at the skate board park

Go to the beach when it hits 80 degrees. But it will be colder than you are used to

I have not met any that are into poetry, but I'd like to!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 AM

768 posts, read 718,292 times
My grandson is 15 years old. He moved here from Orange County when he was 13.

He loves baseball. It's difficult to do year round, but it does happen. Being light until 9 pm helps in the summer.

He has really gotten into mountain biking which is riding true mountain bikes in the forest on trails. It's muddy, with jumps and hills and declining trails. It's exhausting but fun. His step=dad got into it with him. So maybe something for you to consider, seattlefun? Lol!

You can put your kayak or your stand-up paddleboard or whatever in Lake Washington or Green Lake or a whole bunch of other lakes. They seem to be everywhere here. The good thing about kayaking is you can take it at your own pace. And you don't pay for parking. There's no one to charge you a fee (well they do if you rent a kayak at Greenlake). Parking can be a challenge in the summer at Greenlake, but it is free. Greenlake also has a platform for diving & a slide. OR you can rent paddle-boats.

Now that my grandson is dating, he & his girlfriend take the bus to various places. He lives in Greenwood(?). Tomorrow they are taking the bus to the Ballard Locks & will grab a bite nearby. They've gone to the movies and the mall the same way.

Buses here are not like the buses in Orange County. People actually ride them up here. And since so many do & they are people like you & me, it's not so bad. It's not scary nor unsafe, with only one person on the whole bus as it is down there.

Netflix is big up here. Video games are played, but if he's an outdoor kid, there's plenty of activities for him to enjoy..

Skiing & snowboarding are fantastic here. Lots of runs, lots of space, crowds are nothing up here compared to Big Bear or Mammoth. There are several mountains easily accessible for a day trip, like Stephens & Snoqualmie. Snoqualmie is about a 50 minute all freeway drive away. You take the off-ramp, curve right and you're there. And traffic is good once you get away from the I-90. Oops! Wasn't supposed to say "the." There are no narrow windy roads, not much traffic & no crowds compared to so Cal.
AND..the schools have a bus that takes the kids to Snoqualmie after school on Fridays during the season. All 3 of your kids could enjoy skiing and snowboarding. They start young.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you're anxious to get up here for good. : )

Old 06-01-2014, 02:14 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,317 times
Chess at Crossroads Mall.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 AM

279 posts, read 479,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
A lot of them smoke weed, so make sure that he finds more productive activities in a very drug friendly culture.

Considering that canoeing and climbing mountains every day in a city where the mountains are not 10 minutes from your house, nor is the weather always accommodating of all these activities, you will most likely have to find some activities that are not quite so enduring. Perhaps, getting him into book club or hobbyist group? I really would have lot to have found some kind of poetry type of group , myself, but in Seattle these are not easy to find. But, I have seen something like a Poetry Slam for the younger age groups. Try to focus on your son becoming an intellectual/overachiever at a young age and he may end up growing up to be with the more desirable element of Seattle rather than the more loathsome element that indulges in drugs, intoxication and clubbing.

People smoke weed in Seattle? The gays can get married and now marijuana too? Where am I moving to? Drugs, intoxication and clubbing? This sounds like a scene out of Dirty Dancing! I want a refund!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area