Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 01:11 AM

13 posts, read 13,782 times

Advertisements

My son is assigned to The Center School as a freshman next year. While we were both very happy initially with the idea, and had heard only positive things about it, lately we've been offered mixed reviews. I know no school is totally perfect, but thought this one might be the best fit for an artistically gifted, highly sensitive, "outside the box" kind of thinker. I have been hearing opinions mostly from parents and students who have "heard" about it rather than those who have actually attended or parents who placed their kids there. Some tell me it's perfect for the kind of child I have, others have said it's a school for "juvenile delinquents" and that there is a serious drug problem happening ( more so than other schools). Some have even said it doesn't really focus on the arts much at all, and that this selling point is actually misleading. SO... Anyone know the truth, or at least have a parent's or student's real-life experience with the school? Your input would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmom99 View Post
My son is assigned to The Center School as a freshman next year. While we were both very happy initially with the idea, and had heard only positive things about it, lately we've been offered mixed reviews. I know no school is totally perfect, but thought this one might be the best fit for an artistically gifted, highly sensitive, "outside the box" kind of thinker. I have been hearing opinions mostly from parents and students who have "heard" about it rather than those who have actually attended or parents who placed their kids there. Some tell me it's perfect for the kind of child I have, others have said it's a school for "juvenile delinquents" and that there is a serious drug problem happening ( more so than other schools). Some have even said it doesn't really focus on the arts much at all, and that this selling point is actually misleading. SO... Anyone know the truth, or at least have a parent's or student's real-life experience with the school? Your input would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much!
I would check out the school website. Click on any link to volunteering and you will probably get an e-mail for someone on the PTSA. That would be a good place to mine some information. Also you can call and get the school secretary on the phone...always a good source, he/she can direct you to parents on the PTSA. Really it has been for me a great way to get the inside scoop on a school.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I will give these a try.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:12 AM

Any further input from others would be much appreciated.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 AM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
I know someone who is graduating from Center school this year. She's a wonderful, well adjusted kid who does not use drugs. She did, however, benefit from the "out of the norm" atmosphere. That's all I have. One kid with a good experience.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
First of all, I'm going to assume that all 'Center Schools' share the same teaching philosophy and characteristics across the country.

My daughter attended a Center School in New Jersey for a few years of middle school.

She just did not fit in with the regular school due to some emotional problems. Center School offered psychological counseling, also.

For she and I, that school was a godsend. I always swore if I ever won the lottery, Center School would get the first million dollars!

It is true that art and music were not very prominent at the school, and their library was pretty skimpy.

However, she graduated from there and went on to regular high school in a very competitive area (blue ribbon school; most kids going on to college).

She's now 28 years old, college degree, working in her field, and just bought a house!

Hope that helps!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM

Update: Since posting the original inquiry, I've spoken with several parents, counselors and students who have (or have had ) direct experience in one way or another with the school. All had very positive things to say about it. I appreciate continuing feedback, however, if anyone would like to add their own impressions of and experiences with Center School. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:10 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
All I know about the school is about the controversy regarding one of the classes last year, something like "Race and Social Justice". A parent complained, the class was eliminated, and there was a student walkout protesting the elimination of the class. A petition to reinstate the class got over 1000 signatures. Students complained that during the investigation of whether to eliminate the class or not, nobody spoke to them. The class was ultimately reinstated, but I think they moved the teacher to another school. From what I've heard, the Center School is a great place. I doubt that it's connected to any other Center School, and got its name because it's located in Seattle Center, in the building formerly known as the Center House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: