Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 12:22 PM

427 posts, read 431,186 times

Advertisements

Seattle area (Washington State in general) was great back in the 80's and 90's. Now, not so much. Scenery alone can't make a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Seattle area (Washington State in general) was great back in the 80's and 90's. Now, not so much. Scenery alone can't make a place.
That sure explains why so many people are moving here compared to the 80's and 90's.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The Arco at 12th and E. Jefferson is less than 2 miles from South Lake Union. The Arco at 23rd and E. Cherry is 3 miles from South Lake Union.
And isn't there still a 76 station at 5th and Broad, next to Seattle Center?
There haven't been gas stations in downtown Seattle for years. I think it's more of a function of other things being more profitable rather than a liberal conspiracy against fossil fuels.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:03 PM

79 posts, read 138,339 times
The Seattle Freeze is very real Want a nice liberal town with the coffee shops and nature with out the Freeze and elitist coffee shop attitude I suggest Missoula Montana

Old 02-22-2016, 08:10 PM

171 posts, read 218,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Let's just cut to the chase when giving people moving advice: half the people that move there can't stand the place and leave within 5 years. Someone please tell me I'm wrong. I would love to hear a more favorable percentage so y'all can justify the brainwashing that takes place on this site.
That was my experience. I visited once and based on the good weather and good Thai food, I thought it would be a good place to live. After living there, I quickly figured out that Thai food and good weather were just about the only two things that Seattle has going for it.....

Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Let's just cut to the chase when giving people moving advice: half the people that move there can't stand the place and leave within 5 years. Someone please tell me I'm wrong. I would love to hear a more favorable percentage so y'all can justify the brainwashing that takes place on this site.
Come to the dark side.

We have lattes.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
That was my experience. I visited once and based on the good weather and good Thai food, I thought it would be a good place to live. After living there, I quickly figured out that Thai food and good weather were just about the only two things that Seattle has going for it.....
I guess you missed a few things...

Old 02-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
The reason you feel that way is that you were unaware that Seattle's liberalism is incomparable to that of those other areas. Seattle has no justification for theirs. It's just to make people feel good.

Out there, the worst you can expect is that people want to throw a crumb to illegal immigrants and MAYBE bump the minimum wage a bit. In other areas the liberals will back up what they ask for with some facts for the most part. Here? No.

In Seattle?

"They deserve $15/hour!!!" Why? "Just because it's right!!"

"No!! You can't evict the bums from Nickelsville!!!" Why? "Because it's wrong!!"

"Suburbs are bad!!" Why? "Because FOX News says so!!"

"I want to ride my bike everywhere!" Ok, we'll set up bike lanes everywhere. "But there are still cars!!"

"We want Chik-Fil-A outta here!!" Why? "Because the CEO once gave money to a cause that is against the gay agenda!!" Ok, but the company has no bias because of its CEO. "It's the principle!!!"

BUT YET, they get up in arms when you try to tame or get rid of bikini baristas.
Cities are made up of humans, with all that implies.

I sometimes feel it's a bit more left leaning than I'd feel and I don't think the city manages traffic well and could learn a thing or two about snow removal and roads from NY state or Chicago, but whenever I feel that way, I look at my very different coworkers and friends- who are lovely people- and I don't care. There's enough here to satisfy various personalities.

I think each area has a kind of vibe and culture that resonates more with some than others.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM

171 posts, read 218,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
I guess you missed a few things...
What? Pike Place Market? The Space Needle? The various movie bars? The Seattle Zoo (I don't go to zoos)? All the bars (I don't hit up bars)? The museums were just OK, but really, how many times am I going to go to the same museum? The Pho is also pretty good.

I've been to most of the "cool sights" and I still think Seattle is an overpriced city that may be nice for short visits but living there day in and day out is not worth it.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
What? Pike Place Market? The Space Needle? The various movie bars? The Seattle Zoo (I don't go to zoos)? All the bars (I don't hit up bars)? The museums were just OK, but really, how many times am I going to go to the same museum? The Pho is also pretty good.

I've been to most of the "cool sights" and I still think Seattle is an overpriced city that may be nice for short visits but living there day in and day out is not worth it.
Well, are you just referring to the city proper or the whole King county region? I mean, it takes a few minutes to leave the city limits to go to another area.

For my part, I like some of the funky old shops in Pioneer Square, odd little cafe restaurants all over, Fremont's fun furniture and vintage shops. The library system is excellent. Lots of theaters where you can see Broadway plays or obscure little local productions. Art galleries. I don't like sports but I'm told we have great venues for that. I'm a rock and roll fan but I went to the opera a couple times and thought the opera house was great. I prefer Portland's fringey film fests but some of the ones here are still pretty cool. I recently went to a chili cookoff a mile from my house.

Lots of unusual and great restaurants.

The stuff like the Boeing flight museum and Pike Place are fine, but I've become a bit accustomed to them.

One thing I particularly like is that it's a very easy drive to go find some nature and bucolic scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area