Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Well actually even in California I never bought produce at Safeway and rarely TJs because it was very overpriced there as well. Both there and when we lived in Vancouver I used to shop for produce at separate produce markets - they were usually ethnic/ international type markets, and tended to have a fantastic selection of cheap, fresh produce. I haven't seen these here, not even in Kirkland or Redmond so far...
I am obviously out of my price range since my thought is, "Gee whiz, why not Safeway?"

But I get that you have one life and it's yours to live, so to answer your specific questions:
  • PCC is incredibly low-profit. They need huge volume to support their salaries and quality of food (because they stock only very high-quality food but it expires and when that happens it's total loss). They do not have many stores, period. Whole Foods gets around this trick by having a lot more high-priced, low-cost items that people shell out more for, including non-organic meats, non-organic prepared store-brand foods such as ice-creams, and so on. They sell luxury brand items as well as things that are truly high-quality. But even Whole Foods is not going to set up shop in an area that does low volume because they will have produce expiring. They need the volume.
  • We do have Asian food markets like Uwajimaya which is where my family buys its fish.
  • Many people do their shopping on the way home.
  • Many other people have their food delivered by Amazon Fresh. I don't know about Sammammish but in Bellevue we can get it right to our doorstops.
  • Still others can have CSAs which they pick up at the community center or other places.
And yes, food is more expensive the further north you go. Less growing time + less sun during that growing time = lower supply = higher prices. Naturally that's an over-simplification but overall that drives the prices.

It could be worse. It could be Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post
I am obviously out of my price range since my thought is, "Gee whiz, why not Safeway?"
Well...I'm not a fan of Safeway in general; it stocks way too much crappy junk - even the ready-to-eat soups and sandwiches have artificial flavorings added to them It's overpriced and doesn't feel pleasant to shop at. I prefer smaller places, and stores where I can count on the food not having unnecessary chemicals added to it, pick up anything without having to examine the label.

As for produce prices, for comparison in the Bay Area, Safeway had grapefruits for $1.50 each, while the produce market had them at 40-50 cents. Other stuff was similarly overpriced but I don't remember the prices because I pretty much never shopped there, between TJs, Sprouts, and the little European market I got all my shopping done, quality food at great prices. Oh and the produce was fresher and better quality and the selection in the little stores was incredible, way better, with tons of different types of veggies, huge bunches of fresh herbs (not ones in the little plastic boxes), great imported specialty foods, etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The so-called "Town Center" project that has been derailed several time over the years was actually meant to become an Issaquah-Highlands-Like urban village with quaint shops and restaurants, condos and apartments. Some of the owners of the older homes in the area just down the hill from City Hall/Library (where the goats are, down to Eastlake H.S.) ) have planned to cash in on selling to developers since about 2007 when the economy crashed. Others have been upset by the idea, and prefer to keep their homes. The City developed a "vision statement", draft plan, and draft Environmental Impact Study about 2008, but nothing has happened since. The last I heard, about 2012 was that they would start on it in early 2014 but so far nothing.
Well that's good to hear that they're at least considering it...if we settle here for the long haul, we might get to see it happen

I get that it's a bedroom community with not much foot traffic...but I would think there are enough families with stay at home moms that kid-friendly businesses would definitely have a market - an indoor playspace for the rainy weather? If I had the capital and the business know-how, I would totally start that up, I personally think it would be packed. Cafes for moms and retired folks/ empty nesters to meet up and chat over coffee? Good takeout places for busy families? Or for that matter, good delivery places? I would think many of the families around would appreciate having that sort of stuff close by, without having to drive 6 miles out at night, in rain or snow etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:32 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times
Quote:
I prefer smaller places, and stores where I can count on the food not having unnecessary chemicals added to it, pick up anything without having to examine the label.
I don't think that's a fair expectation, personally. I would examine the label of everything, everywhere, particularly in places that market a certain lifestyle, because they are counting on you not to read the label. That said, if you find such a place let me know!

Quote:
As for produce prices, for comparison in the Bay Area, Safeway had grapefruits for $1.50 each, while the produce market had them at 40-50 cents.
Safeway here has more budget produce. Not that I want you to go there. I don't shop there myself because of the low quality of produce. But it's usually priced lower than I can get at the farmer's market.

Most food is shipped up here from further south. Farmers get lots of contracts through the stores and if there are leftovers they might drive in to the farmer's markets but they set the price.

It is a different climate so that makes for a huge difference in prices.

That said, if you're looking for a store with a place to drop the kids, Fred Meyer in Bellevue has this, as well as a large natural foods section.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I find it hard to imagine that food prices are a big issue in a city where the median family income is $135,000. I think it has more to do with the quality and selection. The quality and prices at the Issquah Farmer's Market are better than Safeway. We go every Saturday. The new Community Center to be run by the YMCA currently being built below the library will provide a lot of indoor options for kids. I too would welcome delivery of something other than crappy pizza, but with gas prices, and traffic here I wouldn't expect that to happen. People do often meet to chat over coffee at the bigger Starbucks net to Eastlake, and at the Sammamish Cafe. Neither has people lined up out the door so I'm not sure there is much call for more. The only stay at home Moms we know here are the wives of foreign workers at Microsoft or Amazon and don't work because they don't have a work visa.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:35 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,573 times
It's posts like this that make me appreciate Mill Creek Town Center Gourmet supermarket, tons of restaurants with diverse cuisine, University Bookstore, niche food shops like Frost Doughnuts and a natural food store, Pier 1, home and clothing boutiques, LA Fitness, medical offices and more.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Cafes for moms and retired folks/ empty nesters to meet up and chat over coffee?
People do that at Wendy's and Jack-in-the-Box's all over the country.

All over.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:57 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

All over.
Thank you!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

All over.
And don't let these people make you think they don't do it here. ... I have personally seen the recommendation on either the general IH or the IH mom's FB page to visit the Sammamish McDonald's playland because it's the nice one, the one that's clean.

It's more infrequently now (they're too old for the playland), but we'll sometimes go into McD's Issaquah and I can assure you there is no lack of patrons... even white, upper-middle class mommies. But I do bet there are less than what you'd find at that nice and clean Sammamish one.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
And don't let these people make you think they don't do it here. ... I have personally seen the recommendation on either the general IH or the IH mom's FB page to visit the Sammamish McDonald's playland because it's the nice one, the one that's clean.
Heh, well maybe they do because there's nothing else around...but do you really think a place like this wouldn't do well if it was there, and not outrageously expensive? Los Altos has a demographic similar to Sammamish (although I guess much richer in parts) but lots of families, and let me tell you, that place was PACKED every weekend and most mornings till lunchtime.

There is a similar place in Issaquah I think, a cafe, and Happy Nest in Redmond, and when I've read the reviews the biggest gripe was that they get so packed...I don't know, I see business opportunity

And honestly...I guess we're spoiled...but having lived in what are pretty much food meccas - Vancouver, Canada and Bay Area (though that's mostly SF, not so much Silicon Valley), but I really don't know many people who eat at Jack in the Box or McDs...much less feed their kids there. Honestly, no offense to anyone who enjoys it But not when for the same amount of money you can get fantastic fresh delicious food (and yes, actual food, sorry I don't even consider McD in that category) on pretty much every corner. Is Seattle just not quite there yet? Is it just Sammamish? LOL. I kinda assumed it was in the same West Coast foodie wavelength - which so far, staying in Kirkland, seems to be the case here. And I wouldn't assume the folks in Sammamish are somehow much different or wouldn't appreciate better food options if they were there. Or are we just spoiled city folk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area