Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:38 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times

Advertisements

I mean, why believe geologists who spend their careers studying earthquakes when you can rely on journalists who write clickbait headlines?

OP, I'm glad you've researched the issue extensively and have reached the logical conclusion that you should not move here. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 PM

305 posts, read 450,109 times
People in Seattle get very defensive when you criticize their city, even if that criticism is based on the scientific certainty of an inevitable geologic event. My advice: never mention it again. Or mention Mount Rainier blowing.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:27 PM

510 posts, read 609,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
People in Seattle get very defensive when you criticize their city, even if that criticism is based on the scientific certainty of an inevitable geologic event. My advice: never mention it again. Or mention Mount Rainier blowing.
I don't think people are defensive about Seattle, they are defensive about math. Something like 20 people per year die in the US from earthquakes (averaged over the past 100 years). Three times that die from tornados each year (about 60), and 42,000 people die per year in automobile accidents! In fact, automobile accidents kill more people in about one month than earthquakes have ever killed in the history of the US.

Worrying about an earthquake or volcano killing you in light of these statistics seems a bit overwrought, no?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:03 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
But you have to realize "imminent" in geology terms is still a long time. They've even put "imminent" on our volcanoes.

You could get yourself earthquake-ready and feel better that way; the local government does have classes/educational seminars on what you can do, retrofitting your home, etc. But you'll find a lot of people willing to live here in spite of the risks.

p.s. Washington does get tornadoes... got one last year on the edge of the Seattle Metro Area I believe. Of course the frequency isn't the same as the Midwest/Southeast.

There is nothing anyone can do to to lessen the affects of what a 9. earthquake will have,so that is ludicrous!

All the articles state that what they mean by 'imminent' is WITHIN the next 50 years,not a century..... not 500 years into the future,but WITHIN THE NEXT 50 YEARS[that means it could be even sooner,like any day]!

Old 09-08-2014, 07:50 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
There is nothing anyone can do to to lessen the affects of what a 9. earthquake will have,so that is ludicrous!

All the articles state that what they mean by 'imminent' is WITHIN the next 50 years,not a century..... not 500 years into the future,but WITHIN THE NEXT 50 YEARS[that means it could be even sooner,like any day]!
Then don't move here. Problem solved.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:

No one can predict earthquakes. The 50 years is new as I've always heard within 200 years.

As for earthquake preparation, actually yes, there are some things you can do and learn, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I don't know why you're bothering to check out San Diego as well since they're "due" their big one as well.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:

San Diego and California are also prone to devastating earthquakes (unfortunately)

Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
Seattle is one of the safest major cities in the USA. I am sure there is data to back in up but it is also just well known by people who live or lived in Seattle. Earthquake and Volcanoes(I believe MT Rainier is due for a big one) are going to happen. But at least we don't deal with crazy stuff every year. The natural disasters we deal with may not happen in our lifetime.

Come to Seattle if you guys want. Just make sure you earthquake proof everything(very easy and cheap). Don't put dangerous stuff above where you sleep and sit. Just use common sense. Volcanoes, well I think Seattle might be covered in ash, but can't really get prepared for that lol.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
With the exception for fear-mongering I simply cannot see how anyone can predict and "imminent" earthquake disaster, let alone predicting it in the next 50 years. Of course it COULD happen, but lots of things COULD happen, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will. As already stated in this thread, "imminent" in geological terms can be extreme in "human" terms and how we comprehend time. "Any second now" in geological terms can literally be 12,000 years.

The best thing you can do is sure up your house as well as possible with earthquake brackets and such (we had something like that back in CA when I was a kid), keep supplies on hand (including ammo, you'd be surprised how hooligans like to use a bad situation as an excuse to act up), and just keep in mind what has been said about geological time scale (seriously, no one can predict an earthquake to happen within 50 years).

Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Originally Posted by Inkpoe
Quote:
I don't know why you're bothering to check out San Diego as well since they're "due" their big one as well.
San Diego doesn’t have a history of major earthquakes.June 15, 2004: A magnitude 5.2 earthquake, the largest quake felt in San Diego in nearly two decades strikes off the coast of Baja California. There are no reports of injuries or significant damage.

I believe the scientists and geologists[you know those folks who warned that an eruption was imminent from Mt. Saint Helens] know far better what they are talking about than those people who live their lives in denial!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area