Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 6,903 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm currently living in Illinois but by next spring my parents are moving to Florida, And I'm not one for that particular weather, So I'm looking to move out west. I work at walmart, so I can take my job with me But I was trying to get a good Idea of where to look for an apartment. It doesn't HAVE to be in Seattle, But would like a suburb, that is relatively close....(I've never been to a place with nightlife and Seattle sounds like it has plenty)

Not sure about rent, around $600 a month max would probably be my budget.....

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
Others will certainly chime-in but i don't think 600 will get you anything in Seattle- unless its a very undesirable area and even then $600 seems awfully low for such an expensive metro. Please also take into account that groceries and such are also typically more expensive. Where in Illinois are you? If you're in Chicago at least you'll have a sense of what a high COL area is - if it's a smaller town i would run a lot of numbers before you decide to try to move. Your best bet would be to find a roommate (or three) to split rent at a more expensive place.

good luck!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There is a Walmart Supercenter in Auburn, and there or nearby Federal Way is where you will have the best chance of finding rent you can afford.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
There aren't any Walmarts in Seattle. There's a sams club however up in North Seattle in a relatively affordable neighborhood. Working there would be close to a lot of popular neighborhoods with nightlife, though that particular neighborhood (Bitter Lake) is kind of trashy. The suburbs for the most part don't have much in the way of 'nightlife' , except that which is geared towards wealthier folks, not the kind of stuff that is fun for a young person on a budget. For instance, if experiencing the local music scene is important the 'burbs are the last place you want to be. Everything happens in the city and unless you want to spend a lot of time riding buses or driving, being out of the city is going to be a pain since most stuff happens in the following neighborhoods: Ballard/Fremont, Belltown, Capitol Hill, Georgetown and the University District. None of which are close to an actual suburb (10+ miles in most cases). Check the map there's only 1 close suburb, and that's Mercer Island which is extremely wealthy, and not the place you're likely to want to live in or commute from.

For $600/mo you're probably looking at renting a room or maybe a mother in law unit if you're lucky.

Last edited by mkarch; 09-23-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 11:37 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
MIL units in Seattle proper are still usually $700+ because renters will still find tenants. $600, I regret to say, is simply not going to get you anything. Perhaps try roommates or apodments?

Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
I do know three people who live in Seattle proper (around Capitol Hill) who have rents in the $650-850 range. They have all moved into these places in the last year, too. However, these are the kind of places you have to hunt to find, and they are becoming rarer and rarer. All are small, modest studios with no amenities.

As mentioned above, there isn't much nightlife in the Suburbs.

If the OP wants to be fairly centrally located but still stay under $700 (I know it was $600 as a limit but 7 is much more realistic), I would suggest looking at the U-District and the less affluent areas of First Hill.This would most likely be a room for rent or an Apodment (Google that if you don't know what they are), although a studio is an outside possibility.

None of the Walmarts in Seattle are anywhere near the areas where the center of Seattle (look at Google Maps) so if you want to work at one but live relatively near work, you're going to be to driving or busing it to most of the good nightlife. The upside- rents are typically cheaper out in those areas.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,573 times
I'll say it: If you don't have a college degree and your goal is to work at Walmart here, don't move here. Too expensive for you. You should move somewhere with a lower cost of living that will be more manageable with your salary.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 PM

92 posts, read 116,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
I'll say it: If you don't have a college degree and your goal is to work at Walmart here, don't move here. Too expensive for you. You should move somewhere with a lower cost of living that will be more manageable with your salary.
^^^ This! Like another poster said, there are no Wal Marts in Seattle anyways. Even in places with Wal Mat like Auburn or Everett, $600 won't pay for rent. $700, maybe - but that place will be one big compromise.

If you are still interesed in being in the NW, I would suggest much smaller towns. Depending on how close you want to be to Seattle, maybe try looking at Monroe, North Bend, or Centralia. Those places are close enough to venture in to the city when the mood strikes, but much more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area