Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 PM

271 posts, read 427,299 times

Advertisements

If so, how? I just feel like the overall educational system is lacking quite a bit. We've done workbooks but want some other ideas of what other parents do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,437,019 times
Of course. Don't all Asian parents?

We just buy workbooks from Costco and typically work 1 grade level higher than the current grade. Sometimes we use books from Kumon.

For books, we just stick to the classics.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 AM

271 posts, read 427,299 times
lol... i honestly didn't consider myself a typical asian tiger mom but seriously, the schoolwork is pretty dull...kids need to compete w/ the rest of the world and the US system is falling behind.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:57 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Kumon is big in my neighborhood, but there are quite a few options.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 AM

403 posts, read 681,915 times
I think workbooks can be a reasonable approach to supplementary work, especially over the summer, but it also just seems like busy work, which they get enough of during the school year. I have little appreciation for Kumon, Sylvan, and other such businesses as I think the parents could fill many of the roles with which they are just willing to schlep their kids off to yet another place after school and pay for it. This is lazy. There are many viable resources available on the internet for helping yourself help your kids; Khan Academy is a great one. As we home schooled for several years, we understand that learning things all over again as adults is often required. But if we''re not willing to put in the work, then it's hard to expect them to do the same. Tutoring on occasion is one thing, as our son used tutoring last year to help get through physics. I understand that not everyone is still well versed in, or remembers such topics. I actually did a Calculus I and Physics I course through Coursera, and tried to work ahead, just so I could be a better resource at home for him. It has been 20+ years since I've had to deal with most of that type of coursework, so reinforcing the topics helped a great deal.

Alternatively, we try to have discussions at home on the various subjects they are in at school. We keep it very informal and open, and allow to tangent off sometimes. Our son is taking calculus as a HS senior and we discussed the derivative and its applications for 20 minutes last week. He is also very much a history buff, so he really likes to talk about that. As it is a midterm election year, he just registered to vote as he turns 18 in a couple of weeks, so his government class is well placed this semester as well.

My daughter is taking environmental science as a freshman, so there are myriad opportunities for discussion there. Maybe it doesn't necessarily help her answer that multiple choice problem on a test, but I'd rather they have an overall deeper understanding of the concepts that are, understandably, covered at a very shallow level.

There's a lot we can do to help augment their education and be involved. It doesn't come without a lot of time and work though - but time is short with them.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,785,649 times
A fantastic teacher once told me - "Just read to them. Whatever else you do, making them lifelong readers makes them lifelong learners. Teach them to love reading."

Old 09-30-2014, 12:43 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,675,063 times
If they like to read then all you need to do is give them access to a load of encyclopedia on everything. That takes care of science, history, geography, etc. It will also greatly improve their writing. That really only leaves math, for which you are better off just helping them understand what they are currently doing in school.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,437,019 times
i will say that i taught my son a lot of math so he's in 3rd grade but knows most of the 4th grade math (and beyond) so we did his times tables (until 12x12), division, long division, and fractions. however, with common core math he has had to re-learn a lot of it since 3x5 != 5x3 depending on the wording of the question.

btw, i think common core math is stupid but oh well...

Last edited by RVD90277; 09-30-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 03:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
I am teaching my kids Spanish at home. I bought three different lesson plan/workbooks and I'm making flashcard, making conversation scripts and tailoring everything to my children's learning style....

We are also having them do IXL online for math outside of their assignments.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:28 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
Instill a love of reading for fun. Nothing is better for a kid than a passion for books. The more they read, the better their grasp of the world and people around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area