Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,061 times

Advertisements

Hi all! So. I'm pretty new to town, I'm starting a new job in Pioneer Square, and my lease (in Ballard) is about to run out anyway, so I'm trying to figure out whether moving would make sense. My bus commute right now (door to door) is about an hour and I'd like to cut that down a bit if I can. The job is at Yesler and 1st Ave.

My main concerns: I do not have a car, so I'll be entirely dependent on walking, busing, very-out-of-shape biking, and the occasional car2go. I'm female, will probably be living alone, and should probably be more aware than I currently am about what areas to avoid. My budget is around $900-1100/month for a studio or 1-bedroom, though I'd be open to finding a roommate if that'd save me money and get me a better place. I absolutely need to have a GOOD grocery store within walking distance (I'm super spoiled right now with Ballard Market just across the street), I'd really appreciate having laundry in-unit, and if at all possible I'd like to be a single bus line from both work (Yesler & 1st Ave) and a dance studio in Capitol Hill at 12th and Pine. I don't much care about nightlife or restaurants, but I do want to be as bus-connected as possible so that I can get out to friends' houses, spread out across the city.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been told that Pioneer Square itself and also Belltown are not particularly savory areas to live, and those would have been my first two thoughts for the sake of my commute. I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,583 times
I'd recommend First Hill as your top choice, and probably Beacon Hill as your second choice. It will be tough to find an apartment in First Hill in your price range, but since you're a local and (presumably) have a bit of time to devote to the search, I think you'll find something. You'll probably hear a lot of scary things about how expensive the downtown neighborhoods are, but there are plenty of relatively affordable apartments left if you look hard enough. You can usually find these places by keeping hawkish eyes on Craigslist and setting up appointments immediately, or by walking around the neighborhood and calling numbers on For Rent signs. In this price range, you're probably going to have to sacrifice in-unit laundry.

Anyway, First Hill is your top choice because it's a short walk to the QFC at Pike and Broadway, will (eventually) have the First Hill Streetcar that goes to Pioneer Square in about 15 minutes, and it's centrally located enough that you can easily walk downtown and take a bus to anywhere. You could probably walk to Pioneer Square in 20-25 minutes from First Hill. Beacon Hill would probably be about the same commute time on Link (the First Hill Streetcar is going to be slooooooow), but it's less optimal because it's a sleepier neighborhood. The grocery situation is a bit worse - there's a small supermarket near the light rail station, but I don't think the neighborhood has a Safeway, and QFC would be a 15-minute walk up a steep hill to most parts of the neighborhood. You also can't walk downtown as easily from Beacon Hill.

Also, random aside - Car2Go is much less useful in First Hill than it is in Ballard or Beacon Hill. You will find it difficult to park in First Hill after 8 pm, even though it's a Smart car and you can park in any legal spot with a 2+ hour limit. In most neighborhoods except for the areas adjacent to downtown, you can usually park within 5 minutes of hunting, but that's not necessarily the case in First Hill.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:35 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Your best chance of finding what you want would be:

1. Capitol Hill/First Hill - will be able to take First Hill Streetcar in 2015.
2. International District - within walking distance.
3. Lower Queen Anne - frequent transit connections (D-Line, 29)
4. West Seattle/Alki (Water Taxi?)

seattle apts/housing for rent - craigslist

Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Your best chance of finding what you want would be:

1. Capitol Hill/First Hill - will be able to take First Hill Streetcar in 2015.
2. International District - within walking distance.
3. Lower Queen Anne - frequent transit connections (D-Line, 29)
4. West Seattle/Alki (Water Taxi?)

seattle apts/housing for rent - craigslist
All decent suggestions, though I'd point out that most of the 60-minute commute from Ballard is spent sitting in traffic after the D Line gets to Lower Queen Anne. During peak commute times, the bus between LQA and Pioneer Square can easily be 40 minutes by the time you account for wait times and everything.

There are parts of West Seattle that might work, but I'd focus more on the Junction than Alki. Alki doesn't have any good grocery options, and it's relatively isolated from the rest of West Seattle due to the steep hill.

I didn't mention the Central District before, but it's also a decent option for a quick commute to Pioneer Square. The neighborhood has a reputation for being dangerous, but this is largely outdated. It certainly feels safer than either Pioneer Square or Belltown.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:02 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
All decent suggestions, though I'd point out that most of the 60-minute commute from Ballard is spent sitting in traffic after the D Line gets to Lower Queen Anne. During peak commute times, the bus between LQA and Pioneer Square can easily be 40 minutes by the time you account for wait times and everything.
Well, the OP wrote, "I'd like to cut that down a bit if I can," referring to her current 60-minute commute from Ballard - a 40-minute commute from Lower Queen Anne would do that. Lower Queen Anne also answers her budget and safety concerns (not nearly as "sketchy" as Belltown and Pioneer Square, for instance). There's a Safeway, QFC, and Metropolitan Market, and many and frequent transit connections, both requested by her. Seattle Center, Kinnear Park, and Myrtle Edwards Park provide open space for walking (Myrtle Edwards for biking).

I included Alki, since Craigslist showed a number of units there within her budget near the Water Taxi dock. Yes, the grocery situation wouldn't be ideal (although the #55 does connect to the Junction), but the commute would be great. In general, the bus commute from the Admiral District (which has units in her price range) should be quicker than from Ballard.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,429,296 times
King county jail.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,429,296 times
Best place is eastgate in Bellevue, I live there.

I drive, but when going downtown there is quick, 10 min bus to pioneer sq from the eastgate park and ride.

Ps. when I drive there, I park at Uwajimaya, take care of business, and buy some California rolls and validate my parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: