Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM

123 posts, read 520,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee el cee View Post
Maybe it was the title of the thread. It was not a rallying cry to get people involved solving the problem.

It's a very small step from "please stop moving here" to "you can always leave".
It grabbed your attention though, didn't it? Isn't that part of how to get things noticed and talked about? It elicits a "what is this person talking about?" kind of thought. More attention grabbing than a "let's talk about the traffic and population" title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:01 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Perfect example of the kind of person people OUTSIDE of Seattle don't want around. Doesn't matter if what you're doing now is a complete failure, next time will work - just give me the tax dollars.

It doesn't matter if people don't to be part of the Seattle metro? How progressive of you to force YOUR opinions on everyone else, also typical of Seattle and why no one is willing to pay for Seattle expansion and why the recent metro initiative was resoundingly voted down outside of Seattle.

If I don't like Seattle expansion I should move? How about if you don't like the way Seattle is YOU move. I'm sure New York, Boston, San Francisco will welcome you with open arms.
Mellow down, this is just a theoretical discussion . I don't understand what you are implying that I dont like the way Seattle is, I love it. I am suggesting that as the area grows, the metro needs to become interconnected with it's urban center. It's not like im making this stuff up out of nowhere the state has done studies on it. The purpose isn't for growth NOW but growth in the FUTURE. It could open the entire puget sound area up for more industries, help create a population balance. Im not saying wanting to live away from people is bad but this area has gotten larger then ever expected. Instead of sprawling everyone east, south and north of the city, and congesting the population in Seattle to capacity, lets look for options west. The west people pretty under developed, you can encourage smart, planned, growth, which is something very few american cities do. Im not talking putting a Seattle on the westside of the sound, but medium sized cities that are moderately dense, attracted energy and manufacturing industries on the side and grow the communities responsibly. This ignore now build later ideologies dont benefit those who have to endure it in the future. Just like how many on this forum complain how Seattle should already have a comprehensive and efficient transit (mainly rail) system through the area and now its just a slow and expensive mess. Lets look to solve the problems we will have tomorrow before they being crucial. Thats my point, may not of explained it well. The sprawl that we have now is not the future and planning to expand the kitsap pennisula wont really even be anything to worry about for another 15-20 years. But the conversation should be happening now and the planning should be in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Haakon is not failing to understand anything, you haven't addressed any of his points.

You're right, change is certain, but your proposition isn't really a good one. It doesn't address the traffic problems, but will add more. There's still a lot of space to be filled up and urbanized in the greater Seattle area and houses aren't going to be that much cheaper in the Peninsula. If that's what you think, you obviously haven't looked at house prices on that side now.

Now if Seattle was urbanizing/becoming more like NYC, then sure... go for the Olympic Peninsula tunnel. Vashon Island can be the new Staten Island.
Prices still are lower. I realize many cities have room to grow. Heck, Tacoma in 15 years could be vastly different. But addressing traffic issues, redistribute the income population, spread industries out of Seattle and around the sound. Also take a strong emphasis on rail and high speed transit to get from location to location. That's what I think would help this growing area from getting too congested.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
Oh, it's cheaper. If there was a tunnel though, that would change real quick.
I doubt that many people would want to live in "Kent West".

Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 PM

323 posts, read 449,047 times
Default > Can people please stop moving to the Seattle area?!

It's tough to overcome Jeff Bezos picking Seattle. We have gray weather, expensive housing, and bad traffic, but that's not enough to overcome Amazon's expansion and its ripple effect providing more jobs and attracting more people to the area. Amazon was here to stay before the massive congestion.

Bad traffic is a nuisance, but it also has the potential to keep more businesses from moving here. I know of people that have left the area and others that won't move here because of it. Hopefully businesses will think the same way. So there is a narrow silver lining to the area's abysmal transit and highway development. I'll put up with crap traffic going there if it means fewer people there: beaches, marinas, campgrounds, fishing holes, hiking trails, ski slopes, events, etc.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:05 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,880 times
Default Really?

And this plea has been made about Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, Portland, NYC, Atlanta, etc. -- it's also been made in Seattle for at LEAST 20 years (I lived there for 13). I don't think asking nicely is going to change anything. Maybe if the politicians there would actually make progress on the issues facing the region things wouldn't be so stressed? And, of course, the people elect the politicians, so there you go. If it makes you feel better know that I moved away, as have some members of my family and several friends (to New York, Florida, California and Georgia), so we freed up some space.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:36 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
And this plea has been made about Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, Portland, NYC, Atlanta, etc. -- it's also been made in Seattle for at LEAST 20 years (I lived there for 13). I don't think asking nicely is going to change anything. Maybe if the politicians there would actually make progress on the issues facing the region things wouldn't be so stressed?
Even though I griped earlier about the fact that Seattle has moved way to slow on transit, I think that the many of the sort of issues people are complaining about in this thread are just part and parcel of a city growing up. In a city like Seattle, we don't all get to live in beautiful three-bedroom homes that cost $250,000 and are a 15-minute drive into downtown. Not going to happen.

Venting is only human, but when it comes to reality, for a household of normal means, your options are pretty much a)make the best of the transit we do have b)downsize and move into the city c)endure the commute (or, for some d)telecommute when possible, e)work earlier or later hours...)

Old 12-05-2014, 01:27 PM

510 posts, read 610,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
It's tough to overcome Jeff Bezos picking Seattle. We have gray weather, expensive housing, and bad traffic, but that's not enough to overcome Amazon's expansion and its ripple effect providing more jobs and attracting more people to the area. Amazon was here to stay before the massive congestion.
Seattle has great weather to many people, and the housing here is still cheaper than other big cities in the US with good job markets (LA, San Francisco, Boston, San Jose, NYC, DC, etc.). The traffic is better than all of those cities too. And the taxes are lower. Of course, all (most, I don't know about San Jose) of those places have better public transit than Seattle does too, though.

Quote:
Bad traffic is a nuisance, but it also has the potential to keep more businesses from moving here. I know of people that have left the area and others that won't move here because of it. Hopefully businesses will think the same way. So there is a narrow silver lining to the area's abysmal transit and highway development.
Nice story bro, but the truth is Seattle is the fastest growing (big) city in the county, businesses keep moving here (Weyerhauser, Apple, Google expanding, etc.), and young professionals like to live here.

So the rate of population increase is likely to stay high for a while.

Last edited by strad; 12-05-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Minus the traffic, I actually love that Seattle is booming. It makes it that much closer to being a world class city someday.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 AM

603 posts, read 877,775 times
The metro area is pretty congested due to the all its geographical restrictions, so I have noticed increasing traffic in the decade that I've lived here. With that being said, an influx of residents (especially highly-educated ones) is a good thing for metro regions. The Seattle area weathered the recession and is doing pretty darn well right now because of the influx of new residents.

But yeah, I really wouldn't mind if 405 south following I-90 could be extended another couple lanes. I can't think of another metro area I've been too with such narrow highways and so many one/two lane main roads with 35 mph speed limits.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:57 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times
The traffic and housing prices stink....fastest growing, cant even breathe there anymore, people on your neck, bumper to bumper 7 days a week....cool city, but way too congested, and the traffic really is the worst. If only I could turn back time, when Seattle was actually a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area