Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Do you have data to support this? Because I have nearly stopped using mine completely. I think it's super useful to keep my compost pail right next to me when I'm working in the kitchen... everything is easier to clean. It seems so stupidly simple to use one.

My only issue is with composting bags. There are so few on the market and they're not cheap. Some people don't use them, but my kitchen is inconveniently on the second story away from the compost bin. If the city really wants to increase participation it should have a system set up to make composting bags more affordable.
No, I have no data because it's a prediction.

When thinking about the problems created by storing compost in a home or outside, even in a bin, with the mice, rats, racoons and other creatures it seems to be an easy solution for people. In other countries, including most of Europe, they did not allow garbage disposals, nor even dishwashers that grind the food so it can go into the sewer for many years. It's an interesting topic, because just the additional trucks to haul the food waste may also contribute more to environmental problems than just leaving it mixed with the rest of the landfill garbage.

Green Building Elements | From brick and mortar shops to city planning, we cover sustainable trends in construction, renovation, and more.

Going Global By Going Green - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 03:46 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, I have no data because it's a prediction.

When thinking about the problems created by storing compost in a home or outside, even in a bin, with the mice, rats, racoons and other creatures it seems to be an easy solution for people. In other countries, including most of Europe, they did not allow garbage disposals, nor even dishwashers that grind the food so it can go into the sewer for many years. It's an interesting topic, because just the additional trucks to haul the food waste may also contribute more to environmental problems than just leaving it mixed with the rest of the landfill garbage.

[url=http://greenbuildingelements.com/2008/03/20/ban-on-garbage-disposals-really/]Green Building Elements | From brick and mortar shops to city planning, we cover sustainable trends in construction, renovation, and more.[/url]

[url=http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB120397448345891605]Going Global By Going Green - WSJ[/url]

I see. Well, like I said earlier... I don't think it's going to do dittlie squat for climate change as climate change is (as I understand it) mostly caused by the conversion of hydrocarbon into atmospheric carbon (i.e. non-fixed carbon).. and methane from a variety of sources, not least of which is cow fart (thus the effort to reduce beef consumption). Climate change in my opinion is mostly an issue of energy.. we're just using a source of energy that has some (serious) consequences....

so yeah, if the trucks are not energy-efficient, and/or if the organic material is taken to far out places.. then absolutely it might be a seriously ill-thought out program... I would certainly expect or hope that the city or the contracted service provider is making sure that it's a net improvement.

So first you say, "oh it's bad because it's going to cause more waste in our sewer system"... ask for evidence... you don't provide it.. you say "oh the trucks hauling the waste will cause more environmental problems"...

Maybe to you both those lead you to believe that it shouldn't be done.

But I don't feel that way. I mean, with any type of major, scaled program or project you're going to have to find workarounds for kinks in a system. Doing nothing and expecting nothing will result exactly in... nothing....

Even if it doesn't affect climate change there is still plenty of reason to use compost over industrial fertilizers. Using compost completes the closed loop system of bringing nutrients back into the soil. It's what humanity has been doing for thousands of years.. and what nature has been doing for a lot longer than humans... Although using industrial fertilizers hasn't been in existance for all that much time we already know the powerful harm it can cause on individual organisms and entire ecosystems. It should be used with extreme prudence and every effort to use a balanced and natural method (one that uses the naturally occurring energy of microbes and sunlight instead of human driven-energy to extract minerals for formulas) ought to be endorsed and developed instead.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I see. Well, like I said earlier... I don't think it's going to do dittlie squat for climate change as climate change is (as I understand it) mostly caused by the conversion of hydrocarbon into atmospheric carbon (i.e. non-fixed carbon).. and methane from a variety of sources, not least of which is cow fart (thus the effort to reduce beef consumption). Climate change in my opinion is mostly an issue of energy.. we're just using a source of energy that has some (serious) consequences....

so yeah, if the trucks are not energy-efficient, and/or if the organic material is taken to far out places.. then absolutely it might be a seriously ill-thought out program... I would certainly expect or hope that the city or the contracted service provider is making sure that it's a net improvement.

So first you say, "oh it's bad because it's going to cause more waste in our sewer system"... ask for evidence... you don't provide it.. you say "oh the trucks hauling the waste will cause more environmental problems"...

Maybe to you both those lead you to believe that it shouldn't be done.

But I don't feel that way. I mean, with any type of major, scaled program or project you're going to have to find workarounds for kinks in a system. Doing nothing and expecting nothing will result exactly in... nothing....

Even if it doesn't affect climate change there is still plenty of reason to use compost over industrial fertilizers. Using compost completes the closed loop system of bringing nutrients back into the soil. It's what humanity has been doing for thousands of years.. and what nature has been doing for a lot longer than humans... Although using industrial fertilizers hasn't been in existance for all that much time we already know the powerful harm it can cause on individual organisms and entire ecosystems. It should be used with extreme prudence and every effort to use a balanced and natural method (one that uses the naturally occurring energy of microbes and sunlight instead of human driven-energy to extract minerals for formulas) ought to be endorsed and developed instead.
I thought you were asking for data to prove that people would use the sink disposal more. As for the sewage treatment plant, check these:

Garbage Disposal: Do You Really Need One? | SCGH

minimize garbage disposal use to save water and energy

Is My In-Sink Garbage Disposal Eco-Friendly? : TreeHugger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area