Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM

25 posts, read 23,154 times

Advertisements

I will be working on 4th St. in Downtown Seattle. I am looking for a place to live that will give me the best bang for my buck. I have looked at the same area and the Belltown, Lower Queen Ann, and Capt Hill area and found some really nice 1BD + Den Apt. for around $2300-$2800. But I have also found some really nice 1BD + Den Apts in the Bellevue, Redmond area for more SQ Ft. for around $1800-$2300.

I don't know where I should choose my place of living. I have heard the warnings about traffic over the bridge and so forth coming and going from Bellevue/Redmond, but driving doesn't scare me coming from where I'm from. Also I've heard I can park my car and take the bus from the Bellevue/Redmond area as well.

Where do you recommend is the best place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 04:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,786,611 times
I'd start off closer. It's fine that driving doesn't scare you, but if you chose to commute across a bridge there will many times when you're not doing much of it. Nope, you'll be sitting in your car, but not driving, for much longer than that distance would warrant. There are times when you could probably walk it faster. Those bridges can really, really suck (and I say this as one who drives across one). No, it's generally not unbearable (especially if you can shift your hours to work earlier or later), or so many people wouldn't do it, but why put yourself through that? Also - getting in to Downtown and finding parking is not a simple task. You wouldn't want to do that commute if you didn't live close to a major bus route and could take that.

I will also note that Redmond and Bellevue are primarily characterized as 'family neighborhoods' - there's much more in the way of restaurants, theatre, shows, nightlife, art, eclectic coffee shops, and so on.. in Seattle. Not that they have nothing, but not nearly as much.

However, that is the nicest thing about renting - you can start off in one area, and if you don't like it, then try another.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:18 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,157,821 times
A question of urban vs. suburban life, since rental prices are not a consideration (you're willing to live in either Seattle or Eastside, that is to say). Mildly surprised you can find more in Bellevue for same or less money, given it's booming too.

I "think" most would say: if you work in Seattle, and to the best of your abilities think you will continue to work in Seattle however long you're staying, try to live there as-well. I'm a suburban kind of guy, my whole life to date, thus I'm going with what I find comfortable. Not having a car Eastside would be a major drag. No car in Seattle is actually doable, they say.

4th and Pine, for example (just a guess: wherever you'll actually be working) is right on major bus lines from Eastside and elsewhere. Driving there during the day is a bad idea, and isn't showing signs of improving anytime soon. If-ever. Quite the opposite, in my observation.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
A question of urban vs. suburban life, since rental prices are not a consideration (you're willing to live in either Seattle or Eastside, that is to say). Mildly surprised you can find more in Bellevue for same or less money, given it's booming too.

I "think" most would say: if you work in Seattle, and to the best of your abilities think you will continue to work in Seattle however long you're staying, try to live there as-well. I'm a suburban kind of guy, my whole life to date, thus I'm going with what I find comfortable. Not having a car Eastside would be a major drag. No car in Seattle is actually doable, they say.

4th and Pine, for example (just a guess: wherever you'll actually be working) is right on major bus lines from Eastside and elsewhere. Driving there during the day is a bad idea, and isn't showing signs of improving anytime soon. If-ever. Quite the opposite, in my observation.
I to have lived a suburban life for a good portion of my life so far coming from Florida. I am also a homebody and don't go out much if not at all. But i had this wild idea I would remake myself in Seattle, and go out more and live the long dreamed city life etc. I'm just faced with asking myself "Are you really going to change?" which is why I can't say a definite yes to paying slightly more for less sq ft in Seattle.

So I was hoping someone would come up with a good reason for me so I can move. I do have a car from Florida which I still haven't shipped over yet.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,483,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animefreak2026 View Post
I will be working on 4th St. in Downtown Seattle. I am looking for a place to live that will give me the best bang for my buck. I have looked at the same area and the Belltown, Lower Queen Ann, and Capt Hill area and found some really nice 1BD + Den Apt. for around $2300-$2800. But I have also found some really nice 1BD + Den Apts in the Bellevue, Redmond area for more SQ Ft. for around $1800-$2300.

I don't know where I should choose my place of living. I have heard the warnings about traffic over the bridge and so forth coming and going from Bellevue/Redmond, but driving doesn't scare me coming from where I'm from. Also I've heard I can park my car and take the bus from the Bellevue/Redmond area as well.

Another thing to consider: a lot of the Eastside park-and-rides fill up very early; I know for a fact that the Redmond park-and-rides are nearly full by 7:30 am, and I can't imagine Bellevue will be much better. If you are planning on using transit, make sure the bus stop is within walking distance. Otherwise, you'll be waking up very early with no guarantees.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 PM

269 posts, read 298,153 times
Quote:

I think what you really should do is sit down and ask yourself "how many square feet do you need???"

I mean, sum-up what you have right now... and then sum-up what you recently had... and truly ask yourself how many square feet you need, in order to feel comfortable.

IF you can get that in central-ish Seattle: (Lower Queen Anne, or Capitol Hill) ... then make yourself dive into one of those two areas.

This will assure that your commute will be easier, and that you'll have the option of walking when all else fails (icy roads, Metro suddenly dropping the ball, etc.)

The idea of reinventing yourself in Seattle IS within reach, but a huuuuuuuuge contribution to it would be to immerse yourself right in the midst of all of the life around you, and the more central locations would help in that regard, plus they would make the evening trip home shorter, giving more time for going out and living as you want to do.

I vote for Lower Queen Anne or Capitol Hill.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,786,611 times
MondoTime gives some great advice.

I am a huge fan of reinventing yourself! Probably because it worked so great for me. So I'm voting for DO EET!!

Lower QA would be ok, and Belltown has lots going on, but honestly IMO it feels more like an extension of DT rather than an actual distinct neighborhood, and it's lacking everyday things like grocery stores. So quite frankly move to Cap Hill. You will not find a more vibrant, walkable neighborhood with more stuff going on anywhere. Plus bonus for you! It's actually convenient to where you work.

Two buildings just opened up in my area; Stream Belmont and Zephyr. Based on what you've posted, they sound like they might work. I can't speak for how they are to live in (try checking Yelp), but the neighborhood absolutely rocks. This part of the Hill is tree-lined and lovely while being steps away from everything (groceries, gym, coffee shops, boutiques, art galleries, indie theatres, a bazillion restaurants, museums, parks, more book shops than any other neighborhood, transit, etc). It's close to nightlife, but not in the middle of it, it's close to old, historic, residential neighborhoods but with more density, it's also a brisk walk DT.

Even if you try it and don't like it, at least you tried it and learned more about yourself in the process.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,085,989 times
Quote:
I to have lived a suburban life for a good portion of my life so far coming from Florida. I am also a homebody and don't go out much if not at all. But i had this wild idea I would remake myself in Seattle, and go out more and live the long dreamed city life etc. I'm just faced with asking myself "Are you really going to change?" which is why I can't say a definite yes to paying slightly more for less sq ft in Seattle.

So I was hoping someone would come up with a good reason for me so I can move. I do have a car from Florida which I still haven't shipped over yet.
There are a lot of suburban neighborhoods in Seattle. If you're working on 4th and want to live in the suburbs, find a place in Magnolia. It's a straight shot to downtown, easy commute, without crossing the lake. It's right next to Queen Anne.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
MondoTime gives some great advice.

I am a huge fan of reinventing yourself! Probably because it worked so great for me. So I'm voting for DO EET!!
LOL fellow brethren. You get it. Thanks for the recommendations.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,083,782 times
Just pulled up this sample Craigslisting - Off Broadway, 2 bdrm w/ private patio, cat/dog ok, parking 2 BR, in/under your budget, parking, a block from the Broadway strip, bus (and one of these days trolley) to downtown badda bing. Let the reinventing commence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area