Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 04:22 PM

13 posts, read 76,986 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone that has answered my previous questions, but of course it leads to more questions. It looks like we may end up renting in Tacoma for the time being. My wife will probably end up going to the Tacoma Dome station to commuting into the city.

So we've been looking at the area and have been trying to figure out how long does it take to drive to the Tacoma Dome station during rush hour (and vice-versa). Google maps indicate it's pretty close to 15min whether it be Fircrest, North Tacoma, Procter, or West Tacoma. Is that accurate? How's Rte 16 and Ruston Way during rush hour (again just to get to the Dome).

Also there has been a bunch of posting with regards to Hilltop being an up and coming area. I've spoken with someone that lives there and definitely recommends living in Hilltop. I've also spoken with someone living in N Tacoma that says the reverse (although the individual did state it's much better than the 90's). Someone on this board also says the further south you go in Hilltop, the more quiet (I assume aka residential) it gets. Just wanted to see if people walk their dogs later in the evening and the likes with regards to safety (especially near the S 25th St and S M St area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:30 PM

Bunch of views, but no comments?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
I used to live in Tacoma, not far from the Hilltop. I had no problem walking around there during daylight hours, but I don't think it is that safe after dark. I also knew a few people who lived there without incident, but there were definitely issues with gangs, shootings, muggings etc.

Have you considered the Stadium District? The area above 3rd is the best. It's an easy walk down to the light rail that takes you directly to the Dome Station.

Tacoma's reputation as crime hotbed is overstated in my opinion. In the time I lived there I was never victimized or even felt threatened or unsafe. Just use your "street smarts" aka common sense.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 PM

520 posts, read 532,433 times
Hilltop? Hilltop has had shootings and murders regularly for coming on 30 years!! Who would ever consider Hilltop for a new resident? Im just shocked that its even being mentioned heh.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenballz View Post
Bunch of views, but no comments?
It's not an area most are familiar with aside from being fully engulfed in of the crack epidemic of the 80's. Local news used to lead with stories of shootings on the Hilltop for the better part of a decade. It certainly isn't that bad anymore but it hasn't gentrified a whole lot either. It's still seen as a less desirable place to live within Tacoma.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Hilltop area is getting better. Actually my family just sold a house there for over $200,000! More young people are moving to the area. Stadium district has a few restaurants and things to do. As for Safety, during the day you are completely safe but like in many cities, the riff-raff comes out at night. Be safe and smart. Don't leave doors unlocked, Walk around alone at night, stay out of sketchy neighborhoods, and keep your home lit. There are more property theft in hilltop then anything anymore. Invest into a security system. But besides basic household precautions you should be fine.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:01 PM

Thanks guys for the safety info. Anyone has input on the travel time/traffic info?

Old 04-30-2015, 03:54 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
I'd guess 10-15 minutes? It's not far to the Tacoma Dome:

The light rail to the Tacoma Dome Station is free, if you can find a rental close to a stop (runs every 12 minutes during the day):

Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,103 times
There are gangs in Hilltop. 23rd and MLK is particularly bad. M Street is known as Murder Street. There are gang beatdowns and drive-by shootings. Is it better than 1987? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: