Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 11,016 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I recently visited Seattle this past week to look for a sub-$1500 studio apartment to live in. Visited Belltown, Lower Queen Anne, Pioneer Square, Eastlake, and First Hill neighborhoods and had a great time.

I knew the deal about most apartments in the city no having A/C in their units and that you would usually not need them in most case, which I was fine with. However, given the unusual period of extended warm weather, I'm starting to believe that A/C may be something that should be higher on my list of deal-breaker amenties.

My question(s) to all of you:
  • Is it reasonable for me to prefer built in AC or should I suck it up and buy a portable one?
  • Do you think this weather is a freak occurrence or a sign of a new trend for the area?

Any other feedback or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:14 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Your chances of finding a studio apartment here with air conditioning is close to zero. A few of the fancy new apartments for $2k+, maybe. Better to look for an apartment with north or east exposure.

My landlord allows installation of window units, but considers them to be "fixtures" - if you leave, they get to keep them. I've made do fine with fans, even in this weather.

The current weather is a trend.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM

38 posts, read 78,666 times
Hey there USHiker212

You'll really love this neck of the woods. heh

I can share with you a bit about portable AC's if that's the route you end up having to go...
We broke down and bought a portable one about 3 weeks ago for a health -vs- heat type thing after we saw the heat predictions for this year.
Three fans by themselves couldn't cut it, but be mindful if you see a sliding glass door facing due west on a prospective residence, if there are no trees to nestle
you in, full sun exposure on its glass will skyrocket the heat of that room, possibly rendering it useless during the day.

Our little place is roughly 500 to 600 sq ft and our front door is a sliding glass door and has been known to hit 94+ degrees in front room, YIKES

We got ours via Walmart.com and what a difference it has made!! The only slight limitation of it is that it has about a 4-5 ft scrunchie type of hose that has to vent outside...
via cracked window or door... placement choices may be hampered because of it, we only use ours for the bdrm, but it's not that loud and has different settings so you can be energy efficient.

We're very pleased with the quality. There are hoseless ones but that's when you get into the big bucks.

It's the LG 10,000 btu Model LP1014WNR

Last edited by Fedekat; 07-06-2015 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2015, 02:52 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USHiker212 View Post
Hello Everyone! I recently visited Seattle this past week to look for a sub-$1500 studio apartment to live in. Visited Belltown, Lower Queen Anne, Pioneer Square, Eastlake, and First Hill neighborhoods and had a great time.

I knew the deal about most apartments in the city no having A/C in their units and that you would usually not need them in most case, which I was fine with. However, given the unusual period of extended warm weather, I'm starting to believe that A/C may be something that should be higher on my list of deal-breaker amenties.

My question(s) to all of you:
  • Is it reasonable for me to prefer built in AC or should I suck it up and buy a portable one?
  • Do you think this weather is a freak occurrence or a sign of a new trend for the area?

Any other feedback or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
It's going to be hard to find a moderately-priced apartment with AC.

If it were me, and I was especially concerned about heat, I would look for a place with wood floors, without a ton of West-facing sun exposure, on a midde-to-lower floor, with windows positioned that you can get a good cross-draft. Add a couple of fans to that, and you can cool things down a lot.

Or, yeah, just get a portable AC.

I have no idea if this represents a new trend for the PNW. Cliff Mass seems to think "no". I will say, though, that typically sustained hot (I don't really think that this is THAT hot so far, but I'll save that for another argum... err, thread) weather like this is historically pretty rare. Typically, only July and August see significantly warm temperatures, and some years (I'm pretty sure) we don't even even crack 80.

See here for chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate

Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Be careful what you buy in a window or portable, many of the older apartments can't handle the load, and you will be blowing breakers. You may have to go with a small one at about 5,000 BTUs and just cool the bedroom to sleep at night. Some landlords will not allow them, so check the lease.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I have no idea if this represents a new trend for the PNW. Cliff Mass seems to think "no".
Mass ascribes the current NW weather pattern to an "amplification of the upper level wave pattern" (a.k.a., the Jet Stream). A number of climate scientists, however, believe that global warming is driving a higher frequency of extreme El Nino events, resulting in greater variability in temperatures. In other words, our current warm trend is primarily due to natural variation, but that variability might be amplified by global warming.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/0...t-so-warm.html

Climate Change Could Double Likelihood of Super El Ninos | Climate Central

NWS JetStream - Weather Impacts of ENSO

Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 PM

615 posts, read 666,321 times
When I lived 1/2 block from Green Lake, the house was robbed. The crooks pushed the window-fixed A/C unit into the room to gain access. Be sure to keep security in mind when mounting it (assuming the A/C vent or unit would be accessible from the outside).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: