Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,290 times

Advertisements

I moved to Seattle from SLC about a month ago. It's quite different here. I have not had many positive experiences here. The public transportation system here in Seattle is horrible compared to SLC's. I came out here for work. I like my job here and thats about it. I am trying my hardest to like it here in Seattle but it's not happening. Am I missing something about Seattle? I had no idea the cost of living out here was so expensive. Some of the bus drivers here drive like idiots. I will say Zippy's Burgers has good food! Maybe the area I am staying in sucks. I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 04:17 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobookguy View Post
I moved to Seattle from SLC about a month ago. It's quite different here. I have not had many positive experiences here. The public transportation system here in Seattle is horrible compared to SLC's. I came out here for work. I like my job here and thats about it. I am trying my hardest to like it here in Seattle but it's not happening. Am I missing something about Seattle? I had no idea the cost of living out here was so expensive. Some of the bus drivers here drive like idiots. I will say Zippy's Burgers has good food! Maybe the area I am staying in sucks. I don't know.
Lets try to disect the problems you presented.

Cost of Living- i'm sorry but if you didn't know Seattle was expense the. You really jumped the boat coming here. Its Top 10 in America for CoL. Coming from SLC I can understand its quite a large jump. But demand and investors have driven up the prices so there is no reason to complain because its not going to get better anytime soon.

Transportation- now im not a huge fan of transportation in this area by any means but do you really believe that SLC's is better? Gotta remember that SLC is a significantly smaller, relatively flat area, that has its population spread out. Less traffic on the roads, less people more efficiency. Bus transportation in most major cities is pretty poor.

Do you have any family, friends, or relatives here? Making such a big culture and environment change is always harder alone. What are you looking to do, and what places are you looking to eat. You need to tell us more about what you are looking for within the city. What district do you live in?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 AM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Surprised you didn't do your research.

Seattle is a booming city and unlike SLC is constrained by the Puget Sound, Lake Washington and the Cascades. High demand coupled with low inventory and well paying jobs are going to equal high COL.

Never took the bus while I was in SLC, but that city is spread out, with wide open spaces, which Seattle's geography can't allow. The bus drivers are going to do their best to get their passengers to their destination on time. As a driver, I respect that they have priority and yield to them, but they do have to be aggressive in our crowded roadways.

Winter is going to be a completely different beast then what you are use to. I have a feeling your move is going to go from bad to worse.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:54 AM

225 posts, read 383,078 times
Default What is SLC?

Cant figure it out! What area are you living in here in Seattle?

Old 07-12-2015, 09:40 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
Cant figure it out! What area are you living in here in Seattle?
Salt Lake City.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
The OPs only other post tells us he was moving from Orlando, FL, to Scranton, PA less than a year ago.
This post tells us he moved from Salt Lake City UT to Seattle WA a month ago.
That's a lot of moving!
OP, I wonder if you are giving these cities enough time to get to know them?

Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Well, the OP doesn't say WHERE it is he is living... so its hard to offer many thoughts on the question regarding his area.

Similarly, while I too have gripes about Seattles public transit, its usefulness depends on where you are and where you're going. Without knowing the OP's commute... hard to be of much help.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
At least you like your job, that's a good start. Tell us more about your positive/negative experiences in Seattle. Have you started to develop a social group of friends? What are you interested in personally? Have you actively cultivated that when you aren't at work. Zippy's? Not bad but there certainly are other more inspired choices in this fine food town. Where do you live and work? If you can afford another location for your home, maybe that could shift things for you. One more question, and I don't mean to sound like your father. Are you exercising, getting daily cardio in? It is always great for attitude, energy.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:40 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobookguy View Post
Let's see:

Complaints:

1) "It's quite different here." Uh, yeah. No point in responding.

1) "The public transportation system here in Seattle is horrible compared to SLC's." How is it "horrible"? How is SLC's not horrible? Doesn't say. No point in responding.

2) "I am trying my hardest to like it here in Seattle but it's not happening." What's not happening? Doesn't say. No point in responding.

3) "I had no idea the cost of living out here was so expensive." Uh, yeah. No point in responding.

4) "Some of the bus drivers here drive like idiots." How many is "some"? How does an idiot drive? Doesn't say. No point in responding.

5) "Maybe the area I am staying in sucks." Which area? Sucks how? Doesn't say. No point in responding.

1) "Zippy's Burgers has good food!" Okay, that explains everything. He's living in Rat City. (Note: That's not actually "in" Seattle.)

Old 07-12-2015, 01:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
At least you like your job, that's a good start. Tell us more about your positive/negative experiences in Seattle. Have you started to develop a social group of friends? What are you interested in personally? Have you actively cultivated that when you aren't at work. Zippy's? Not bad but there certainly are other more inspired choices in this fine food town. Where do you live and work? If you can afford another location for your home, maybe that could shift things for you. One more question, and I don't mean to sound like your father. Are you exercising, getting daily cardio in? It is always great for attitude, energy.
He's complaining about the cost of living in Seattle, and you're suggesting that he explore more of Seattle's fine food choices? I completely agree about the benefits of exercising, but I just don't think that spending 40 dollars for exquisitely prepared, wild harvested, artisinal, sustainable meals is going to do the trick and transform his experience here. As far as Zippy's, it's pretty great. Way better than "not bad". Most burger places, when it comes to veggie burgers, buy Garden or Boca burgers frozen: Pretty uninspired. But Zippy's hand forms their own black bean burgers, and there among the best in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: