Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:21 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times

Advertisements

Back in July I signed a one year lease for a one bedroom apartment in Seattle Northgate. I pay $1200 a month for a one bedroom apartment built in 1990. My apartment has a washer and dryer in the unit and comes with a fridge. My location can't be beat. Only a block to Target and Best Buy, walking distance to the Northgate Mall and I can take the bus anywhere in Seattle as I don't own a car.

My concern is when my lease is up in July 2016 how high can I expect my landlord to raise my rent? My apartment manager told me two weeks ago that when my lease is up in July 2016 that the landlord most likely won't raise my rent. Is this possible?

If my rent goes from $1200 to $1500 a month I'm in trouble and will not be able to afford my apartment anymore.

Seattle really does need rent control.

Many uber drivers have told me horror stories of apartment rents in capital hill and lake union doubling and tenants having to move out because of high rents.

Whats instore for my apartment in Northgate Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:43 AM

368 posts, read 695,633 times
Probably will go up due to proximity for commute into Seattle, but Northgate isn't a desired area that should see the crazy rise in rents of the in town neighborhoods. But it's all a hypothesis, no one knows what will happen economy wise.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Back in July I signed a one year lease for a one bedroom apartment in Seattle Northgate. I pay $1200 a month for a one bedroom apartment built in 1990. My apartment has a washer and dryer in the unit and comes with a fridge. My location can't be beat. Only a block to Target and Best Buy, walking distance to the Northgate Mall and I can take the bus anywhere in Seattle as I don't own a car.

My concern is when my lease is up in July 2016 how high can I expect my landlord to raise my rent? My apartment manager told me two weeks ago that when my lease is up in July 2016 that the landlord most likely won't raise my rent. Is this possible?

If my rent goes from $1200 to $1500 a month I'm in trouble and will not be able to afford my apartment anymore.

Seattle really does need rent control.

Many uber drivers have told me horror stories of apartment rents in capital hill and lake union doubling and tenants having to move out because of high rents.

Whats instore for my apartment in Northgate Seattle?
There's no limit on rent increases in the state of Washington.

I've been saying this for a while: if you rent, get a year's lease and start putting away $$ for some kind of increase. Out of all of my friends, over 90% received an increase at the end of the year lease. Those who lived in more desirable areas tended to receive very large rental increases (over $100/mo). If you can't afford that, know that this area will likely have you priced out in no time. That's practically par for the course here.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I agree, Northgate is a busy area with a lot of traffic, and all of the businesses/mall/park & ride attract more crime than the more desirable areas, and higher than the city as a whole. I would expect some increases but not on the same level as many other parts of the city.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
There's no limit on rent increases in the state of Washington.

I've been saying this for a while: if you rent, get a year's lease and start putting away $$ for some kind of increase. Out of all of my friends, over 90% received an increase at the end of the year lease. Those who lived in more desirable areas tended to receive very large rental increases (over $100/mo). If you can't afford that, know that this area will likely have you priced out in no time. That's practically par for the course here.
If my rent goes up from $1200 a month to $1300 a month when my lease expires in July 2016 I can handle that.

My question is how high can I expect my rent to jump when my lease is up in July 2016? Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Next two years, it'll probably gradually increase. In 2021 when the Light Rail station is completed in Northgate, the neighborhood will definitely be expensive. Current design plans show that developers are planning to transform Northgate into a high density, transit oriented neighborhood. This often means prices will be high.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:47 PM

[quote=GatsbyGatz;41522326]Next two years, it'll probably gradually increase. In 2021 when the Light Rail station is completed in Northgate, the neighborhood will definitely be expensive. Current design plans show that developers are planning to transform Northgate into a high density, transit oriented neighborhood. This often means prices will be high.[

What do you mean by gradually increases in the next two years? What can I expect in the next year of two in terms of rent increases?

Old 10-11-2015, 01:49 PM

When the lightrail is built in 2021 I'm sure northgate will become expensive. But what about in 2016 and 2017 interms of rent increases?

Old 10-11-2015, 03:29 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
There's a s**tload of rental units under construction citywide, so at some point the demand curve is going to flatten out and the big price spikes are going to level out. When that will be is anybody's guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
But what about in 2016 and 2017 interms of rent increases?
Sixteen dollars per month. But I could be wrong.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
There's a s**tload of rental units under construction citywide, so at some point the demand curve is going to flatten out and the big price spikes are going to level out. When that will be is anybody's guess.

Sixteen dollars per month. But I could be wrong.
But as long as Amazon and others keep hiring people from out of state, they may just fill up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: