Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,815 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've read through several of these forums trying to get a perspective of what life is like in Seattle. I'm currently living in Columbia, SC, bored and uninspired, and I've got a potential job offer in the Green Lake area of Seattle. I'm doing research to assess cost of living and other factors that will play a large role on my decision.

So far I've heard positive and negative things from both Seattle natives and non, so much in fact that even after all the reading I'm left knowing nothing. It's quite frustrating.

I was born in Oak Harbor, I left when I was 2, and I've always been curious to go back. So I guess you could say I'm both a Washington native and not. I've lived everywhere from Denver to New York, Kentucky to the Carolinas but my fascination with Seattle, and the northwest really, has always stuck.

I'd like to live somewhere where rent is reasonable, and I will rent for a year or two to make sure I love it before investing in a house. From what I've been reading the area around the University seems to be rather fitting. I'm 25 years old and not really into the partying and rowdiness of college students anymore, but it's my choice not to partake so I don't think that would be a problem.

Crime is a big factor. Some people have said that crime is horrible in Seattle. Yeah, it's a major city so I wouldn't expect it to be low, plus it depends on what the crimes are. Jaywalking, for instance... big deal. Now car theft is another story. So what are some areas to avoid when looking for places of residence?

What are some good venues to meet people and make friends?

And finally, nevermind the people who say it's hard living on anything under $75,000... what is a good, comfortable salary for living a modest and rather simple lifestyle in the area around Green Lake?

Salary.com says that Seattle has a 30% higher increase in cost of living than Columbia, which is probably quite true. Columbia is extremely cheap. My 960 square foot apartment runs me only $647 a month. But, with low cost comes low fun as there really isn't much culture here if you're not a USC or Clemson fan, which I am neither.

Respond here or email me Mod cut

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-27-2008 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: no emails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,705,340 times
I live by Greenlake, you'd like that area or Greenwood (or even Phinney Ridge) to rent - very nice, hip

You can afford Seattle easily on 75K if you rent and have no kids

Try even Wallingford, Fremont or Ballard - all very good cute Seattle areas close to Greenlake

Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 PM

108 posts, read 387,030 times
Hi Chris,

I think it's also tough to decipher message board posts, as everyone's opinion is different. I post here, but am also maybe relocating from WA and know what you mean.

Sounds like you're already doing the cost of living homework.

Crime: Seattle's high crime categories include burglaries and car theft. It's lower than many other cities its size for violent crime. Given that where you're coming from is a smaller city, it might be more of a general adjustment to a larger city with this. Generally, it seems that the Southern part of Seattle has more crime (White Center is somewhat infamous), but others who live downtown can better advise you.

Expect to see more homeless than you're probably used to, but they usually aren't a criminal threat.

Venues to meet people: the Northwest seems more common activity and hobby driven socially rather than people just socializing so much for the sake of it. There are way too many factors involved to give accurate advice but, from just my observation: work and neighborhood ties are not generally how people meet each other here. They make new friends through their hobbies and it seems like a more structured social interaction; ironically, there's also an aversion following through on accepting invitations from people to "go do something". What some consider flakey behavior is a local norm (I suppose because people don't want to feel obligated, but are somehow also afraid to just tell someone that they really don't want to hang out), so don't be too surprised or offended by no-shows. People might not seem as approachable compared to where you live now. Probably the biggest step will be overcoming the awkwardness of finding an activity and going to it by yourself, but that's how you'll most likely make friends.

Expect the rent to be significantly more than what you're paying now (probably at least double, unless you have roomates). Give the cost of living calculator room for error and maybe look at what you make now, add 35% to that (or more if you think you can get it), and use that as your starting point. Hard to pick an arbitrary salary line. If you're alluding to another thread that's now closed, I think the poster complaining about cost of living probably didn't get the data up front.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:12 PM

534 posts, read 3,112,306 times
Hi illuminatedeye,

(I lived in Lexington for a short period - 6 months)...

I agree with Fallingwaters, count on about a 40% increase in the cost of living, while your the salaries are not anywhere near that. I suppose salaries here do not reflect the cost of living due to the perceived benefit of living here.

If you're looking for a lower crime area, the west side (or most) of Ballard would be a good area (especially if you have a car). The majority of crme in Seattle is property crime (especially auto), not violent crime, so it's relatively safe.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

So, this whole auto theft thing has me slightly perturbed. How bad is it really and is it something I should worry about? Also, what if my car has a microchip in the key so it doesn't start without that key, and an ignition shut-off?

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM

108 posts, read 387,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedeye View Post

So, this whole auto theft thing has me slightly perturbed. How bad is it really and is it something I should worry about? Also, what if my car has a microchip in the key so it doesn't start without that key, and an ignition shut-off?

Thanks again,
Chris
I worried about auto theft before moving here when I heard about it. Honestly, even in the decent suburbs (and I mean this relatively, the 400-500k house club, if that helps reference) I've heard of vehicles stolen in the general area or "car prowls" investigated by the police. I feel okay because my vehicles are locked in a garage with an alarm system and I have lowjack.

Also depends on what type of car you drive (there are stats on that). If you're honestly worried about it, then, when looking for a place to live, find somewhere with a secure parking area, like a garage with an attendant or a garage door that you can lock.

As far as car-jackings or cars being stolen off of the street during the day, I don't hear so much about that. The crime in Seattle, like many of its other characteristics is more passive and non-confrontational (read non-violent) -- you have to worry more about sneaky thieves than thugs, it seems.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 AM

51 posts, read 261,816 times
I've had my car broken into twice in the 8 years I've lived in Seattle, and both times were late at night in the U-district. I've had stuff stolen from within my car, but never had my car itself stolen. I've also got a microchip in my key, which may be why...but probably not. Generally speaking, car thieves are opportunistic - if you have something even remotely deterring them, they'll just go to the next car and ignore yours. It's definitely an issue, but not as much as some might make it out to be. Cars get stolen everywhere, and Seattle is no exception. Be smart, don't buy a target car (Accord, Acura, etc.), park in well lit areas and you should be fine. Your insurance premiums go up regardless, so keep that in mind.

I don't understand a lot of the inflated salary "requirements" for the area mentioned on here. They may make sense if you have a family to worry about or are bent on buying a horribly overpriced condo or house, but I think you'll do fine on significantly less than what many are quoting as necessary to get by in Seattle being 25 and living alone. I'm also 25 and single, I make less than $40k a year, and have plenty of spending cash left over after the bills. I've lived on less than I make now in studio apartments in both Capitol Hill and the U district for years, with great views and plenty of amenities. I have plenty of friends that have done the same. It's definitely doable, just might take some adjustments. As a reference, I paid $650 for a 1 bedroom in the U-District and was paying $735 for the Capitol Hill studio when I moved out about 5 months ago - you'll be paying more than that since demand has gone up. Depending on what you want / need, expect to pay around $800-$1,200 for a reasonable to nice, basic 1 bedroom or studio.

Regarding making friends, previous posts hit it pretty well - I've met a few people through work, but they're the exception to the rule. Most of my friends are residual from college, and I've met others in turn through them. Clubs, activities, etc. seem to be the best way to find your clique in the area.

Last edited by kmfseattle; 01-28-2008 at 01:10 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedeye View Post

Thanks again,
Chris
How bad is it? Some things to consider:

(1) Seattle is a port city. The fact of the matter is that commerce, both legal and illegal, happens on a regular basis in this city, a lot of it involving the ports. A car that is in high demand in another part of the world can be cut up and shipped out of the country in a matter of hours, with very little to trace it back to you.

(2) Car theft is a relatively low priority for WA state courts. Because most thefts up here are generally non-violent (carjacking is uncommon up here), a LOT of thefts are considered low-level felonies. The thieves know that they will be processed in and out of the system in a matter of months, so they do not have much dissuasion from their craft. And because so many cars are stolen up here, police generally feel overwhelmed.

Another thing to consider, though, is that theft is generally about opportunity. Don't leave valuables in the car, don't drive a "target car", don't park in dark places ... common sense tactics can keep your property generally OK. Not everyone experiences car theft up here, but it is common enough that you need to be aware (even in the "good neighborhoods").

Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 AM

I suppose a 2003 Honda Civic EX would be a target car? Micro-chipped keys and all and I never leave anything of value in it, let alone let things in the open. My car was broken into here in Columbia in September of 2006 and since then I've been extremely cautious about leaving anything in it. I even burn copies of all my CDs and place the copies in the car rather than the original.

When you refer to the "U-district" do you mean the area near the University? I'm looking for places near Ballard and Greenlake so I guess that's kind of near the University. I figured rent would be slightly lower there to cater towards the students.

And I thought of something else recently... Probably strange but, I've got a kitten that I'm planning on bringing with me. Many of the apartments that I've been looking into don't allow pets, but, from anyone's experience, can they be persuaded?

SeattlitefromNC: Whereabouts in NC did you come from and what brought you to Seattle? My parents are in NC and NC is where I spent a good portion of my life thus far, so it's neat to see people doing something similar what I may do.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by illuminatedeye; 01-30-2008 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 PM

51 posts, read 261,816 times
Civic is a more targeted car, but removing face plates / cd's, etc. should make it far less likely to be broken into. It's really just a reality of living in a larger city, unfortunately. Doesn't mean it WILL happen. Just for reference, I found a page with a list of the more targeted cars from a few years back on google - Most Stolen Cars in US, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord -- ROAD & TRAVEL Magazine (http://www.roadandtravel.com/newsworthy/Newsworthy2002/moststolencars.aspx - broken link)

The U-District is local slang for the University District. Ballard and Greenlake aren't TERRIBLY far, but far enough that you'll get a different demographic of people in the area - I'm not sure of any actual statistics, but I'd think Ballard would be the safest of the three. The U-District and, to a lesser extent, Greenlake tend to be more transient oriented areas. As a result, the rentals tend to not be as well kept and prowlers always keep an eye out for new residents without street smarts for the area. Don't get me wrong, I loved the University District while I was attending UW for proximity to everything - the area is just more geared to college life than everything that comes after.

As far as the kitten, I don't think you'll have too much trouble. As long as it doesn't make incessant noise, I'd say just don't bring it up. Generally, if a corporate landlord finds out, they may just make you pay a (usually non-refundable) pet deposit. On the other hand, independent renters may be more apt to bargaining if you bring it up beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area