Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

Hope you are doing good. I have a job offer in Everette. I am seriously considering to move. Can you please advise on what are the best suburbs/cities to live?

I visited there and when I drove by few apartments in Bothel, Mill Creek, Lake Forest. I found it is totally different from Orange County, it is so quiet there unlike the busy metro lifestyle here. I would like to live in place which is little crowded.

1. Safe for family
2. Good schools
3. Have good restaurants, malls
4. Weather: I believe rain will be same.
5. I will be working in Everette, but my wife may end up with job in Seattle area - so we are looking something in between so commute can be good for both of us.

I would really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,057,267 times
I would look in north Seattle. She'll have a worse commute to downtown, so it would be slightly better for her, but not horrible for you because it's a reverse commute to Everett. There is a mall and shopping and local/boutique eateries. The schools are good.

You're not going to find something comparable to OC. Even in congested areas Seattle has more character and beauty than Orange County ever could (pardon my bias). The Eastside is closer in feel to California, but it's far from your potential job. If you're so inclined, I'd look in Kirkland for a South Bay kind of feel, but I wouldn't go further south.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,484,835 times
If schools are the main prerequisite, look into Shoreline!

Old 10-24-2015, 03:42 AM

8,182 posts, read 8,326,792 times
Mukilteo isn't in the middle, but just lovely with great schools. Edmonds is another excellent choice, as would be Mill Creek.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:32 AM

136 posts, read 244,802 times
Lynnwood has a lot of great shopping as well as lots of dinning and is right between Everett and Seattle. Also, Edmonds is a charming yet lively community right on the Puget Sound.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:39 PM

579 posts, read 434,624 times
I'm not clear on what you're looking for in terms of busy/not busy or "little crowded". Where are you in OC? Mill Creek strikes me as being kind of Irvine-ish, though maybe not quite as spread out. And no university, obviously. Lynnwood has a lot of businesses (including a big mall). Edmonds is not far from there. It doesn't have a lot of businesses though, except for the Main St area, which would be a hassle to commute from, IMO. Honestly, I didn't pay much attention to many residential areas when I lived in OC, except those I actually lived in. Most house lots here are smaller than the ones I saw in OC (but I was more south in the county - I think north was tighter). I guess your choice would depend on how likely your wife is going to get a job in Seattle. Could she not get a job in Lynnwood or Everett? I don't know what the commute to Everett is like, but she will definitely not want to be living far from Seattle if she has to commute there.

WA DOT has a website that will estimate commute times for you. I'd check that out. It also has a page where you can put in a time you need to get from one place to another, and it will give you a 95% reliability estimate. For example:

"For your trip from Everett to Seattle your 95% Reliable Travel Time is 77 minutes. For 19 out of 20 working days (95%) you would need to leave at 7:43 AM to arrive by 9:00 AM."

You also said you were looking at apartments. Some towns have more than others. How much are you willing to spend? Would you be wanting to buy soon after that, and how much would you be able to spend then?

Old 10-24-2015, 01:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,146,794 times
Live in Shoreline. The commute to Everett will take 20 minutes.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:06 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,388,048 times
1. Shoreline, 2. Edmonds, 3. Bothell.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:24 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,057,267 times
If you meant you were looking for a busier metro area, which is what I gleaned from your post, Shoreline, Edmonds, Bothell, Mill Creek are all similarly sleepy compared to OC.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:02 PM

269 posts, read 298,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgoodcity View Post
4. Weather: I believe rain will be same.

That's a laugh!

That is only accurate if going by a rain gauge and nothing else.

But relax, there IS ONE PLACE in America with more than 50,000 people that does get less sun in a typical year than Everett!

//www.city-data.com/top2/c475.html

So don't fret...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area