Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

Lovely, I don't think you really have to "try". Just engage, enjoy life and "be". I do that, it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 10:56 AM

319 posts, read 346,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your experience will be very different from your experience in California. If you have to transfer to Seattle, to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Know that to make friends (and date), it's necessary to get involved in local groups, activities, etc., where you can meet people by sharing activities with them on a regular basis. Like hiking clubs (the Mountaineers are big. Sierra Club--not so much), boating (rowing, canoeing/kayaking, sailing), the neighborhood soccer leagues, or Parks Dept. classes, REI lectures and singles activities, etc. Overall, people aren't outgoing and friendly like they are in CA. So you need to put more effort into breaking the ice, and putting yourself into environments where that happens more effortlessly, like group activities and classes.
Completely agree.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:02 PM

810 posts, read 852,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAlexRZ View Post
As a Christian, it is scary to me all the people that seemingly move here because of the scene: not a huge church going place, pro-gay, etc. I want to think of it as a good ministry opportunity, but after awhile, it gets draining. I am okay with the anti-racism and environmental factors because those are important, but I do think people can be excessive in those areas. As far as politics, I have views on both ends of the spectrum, but it is refreshing when I meet seemingly conservative people because I tend to lean more in that direction, and people tend to be more liberal here.

It seems like a lot of people come here from different places. What was wrong with where they came from? Why did they feel the need to leave their parents before marriage? But of course, there are different living situations in Seattle. And I guess it's scary to me how crowded it's getting for a variety of reasons, but maybe I shouldn't be so bothered by it.

I moved here when I was a year old, so I guess I didn't have much of a choice in the matter, and don't really remember Brooklyn, NY living.

I don't really date these days unless it's talking to someone from the Internet, and even then, I try to keep it at a friendship level unless we decide to date. I guess I'm somewhat picky, not a good catch for some people, etc. Some guys show interest, but it doesn't seem to go farther than that these days. But that's not to say you shouldn't try and get yourself out there if you are looking for the one. And I know of other people who have had better success dating than I.

I've had a lot of bad experiences with people here, and my friendship circle is really small, and I even have issues with those friends at times (but isn't that the usual in relationships?). And I suppose I have issues with people who aren't my close friends, and maybe I need to extend more grace to them.

Sometimes I'll say hi to random strangers and strike up brief conversations, but it doesn't seem to go farther than that these days. I guess it's easier when someone is drunk or a lonely homeless person.

I think there are some people that are more friendly than others, and Seattle does seem to attract a fair amount of introverts (so not me), but I think some people have better luck than others meeting people, although you are right about the general consensus about it being hard to meet people. But it's funny when people say that when they seem to have a fair amount of friends.

I suppose I have better luck talking to people during my volunteer job and church fellowship group.

Oh, and get ready for nasty traffic and some homeless people and some dirty areas, but I think you are used to that living in other cities.

I do like going to the mall (although it can rowdy) and going to restaurants (although it can get dirty) and going grocery shopping. And spending time in my apartment, although I don't like the outside noise and condo living.
sounds like you are a big sorry but NOT a darn thing wrong with being PRO gay. Why don't you open your eyes and do some research gays are PEOPLE the exact same as anyone else in the world. If we had less people like you this world would be a better place, Seattle happens to be a very gay friendly city and so is Portland. I have lived in both.

Personally I have many gay friends and they act 100 times better than t so called people who call themselves a Christian. People need to stop divinding people because they are bnot the same. I am so tired of all the racists and bigots. They are people with emotions and feelings and they should not ever be discrimniated against.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:26 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
sounds like you are a big sorry but NOT a darn thing wrong with being PRO gay. Why don't you open your eyes and do some research gays are PEOPLE the exact same as anyone else in the world. If we had less people like you this world would be a better place, Seattle happens to be a very gay friendly city and so is Portland. I have lived in both.

Personally I have many gay friends and they act 100 times better than t so called people who call themselves a Christian. People need to stop divinding people because they are bnot the same. I am so tired of all the racists and bigots. They are people with emotions and feelings and they should not ever be discrimniated against.
The way some people think of religious people (especially Christians, Catholics and Jews) in Seattle is how some religious people think of gay people in other places. Both people do not enjoy each other's lifestyles. Some think its a sin for a man to be with a man others think it is a sin to promote solely opposite gendered marriages and pray to some unknown, monotheistic G-d.

Being of a non-Christian, yet still Avrahamic religion, myself, I am just as polarized by the "progressive, open-minded" people in Seattle as I would be by the Bible thumping Christians in places like Alabama. I find both groups of people to be polarizing, judgmental and non-accepting to those who think, act or believe in a way of life or lifestyles that contradict their own. How many times have I had some atheist here, say, "Oh you are so stupid, you believe in foolish man made religions!" Yet, everyone pats this person on the back and in no way are they thought of as being racist, bigoted or denigrating. But, if I say, "Marriage should be between a man and woman." They will say I should be sent to the gas chambers to die a painful, slow death. And, FYI, I would never say who should marry who, since I am a respectful person. However, in Seattle attacking and insulting someone for their religion, unless they are Muslim, is considered acceptable.

What stumps me is how open liberals, even gay liberals are to Muslims in Seattle, who tend to be the most anti-gay and polarizing religious group of people I have met. My theory is many of these liberals came from families or generations of people who were religious Christian types and it is a form of rebellion or they have developed a phobia of the rules and lifestyles that were forced upon them or their parents in their youth. I actually find it ironic that many of the most outspoken transplants I meet in Seattle are people from religious Christian families in the Deep South. How many times have I met someone here who says, "Oh Man, I come from Arkansas, they are all bunch of backward religious people, etc, etc". Seattle is definitely a magnet for a certain mindset of people with a certain set of principles and beliefs. Ironically, they don't realize some of the other religious groups they embrace, such as Muslims or even Hindus, hold even more extreme views against their lifestyles. As I said, The political correctness and polarization in Seattle is fairly extreme and also nonsensical.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 01-19-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 09:23 PM

100 posts, read 130,190 times
I'd like to do some clarifications.

People have the free will to be pro gay, but from what I remember, being gay is not condoned in the bible. I may need to do more research in that area. Yes, gays are people too, but from what I know, being gay is a sin, and from what I know, all people sin (I'd like to look at bible verses in that area as well). I'm sorry you feel the world would be a better place without me. From what I know, and again, I'd like to do more research, God values us all as people. I am aware that both Portland and Seattle are seemingly generally gay friendly cities.

I would address gay people you know acting better than Christians, but since I'm not familiar with the context, I don't feel it's my place. I'm not sure what your next sentence said. I don't think I mentioned anywhere in my post about being a racist, but maybe a bigot? In any case, I think those are both qualities I could work on.

Yes, I do believe gay people have emotions and feelings (although I'd like to do more biblical research on emotions and feelings). I didn't mean to discriminate against gay people, and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

As a Christian, I think it is okay to be polarizing. I think I could be less judgmental, but it depends on the situation. I don't think I have to be accepting of non-Christian views, but I certainly think I should be respectful of the free will.

If there is something else I need to address, let me know.

Last edited by MissAlexRZ; 01-19-2016 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
MissAlex. "Ministry opportunity"? I laughed out loud. Nope, we are okay here in Seattle. Maybe you took a wrong turn in the Peruvian Amazon Jungle, there may be a few beautiful and untouched indigenous cultures that still desperately need your help, as you seem to have found the one "true" God on earth. Make sure and tell them that all their own ways that have served them for thousands of years are wrong and that they should sell their medicinal plants to a pharmaceutical company with a founder vested in the "prosperity" ministry.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 PM

100 posts, read 130,190 times
I don't quite see how it is funny, but I do agree there are some who have heard the word of God and chose not to believe in it and they have their free will. I don't think that is "everyone" in Seattle though. I know you are being sarcastic, but I certainly have never been to the Peruvian Amazon Jungle, and I certainly don't know where all of those people are at on a Christian realm. I think I have found the "one" true God. I think I would have to get to know the people better before I advised them on what to do. Let me know if I missed something.

I wanted to do some more editing on my original post, but it won't let me. Oh, well.

Last edited by MissAlexRZ; 01-19-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
MissAlex. "Ministry opportunity"? I laughed out loud. Nope, we are okay here in Seattle. Maybe you took a wrong turn in the Peruvian Amazon Jungle, there may be a few beautiful and untouched indigenous cultures that still desperately need your help, as you seem to have found the one "true" God on earth. Make sure and tell them that all their own ways that have served them for thousands of years are wrong and that they should sell their medicinal plants to a pharmaceutical company with a founder vested in the "prosperity" ministry.
Ironically, the Torah says the "herb" is for the service of man.. Most pharmaceutical companies are run by religion hating atheists who think religious stuff is all hokus pokus and swear by the miracles of "science" and modern, Western conventional medicine.

I am follower of Halacha and follow a very natural, non-conventional organic and biodynamic lifestyle. In fact, when I was in Africa, I did not run to the doctors to protect me against malaria and the scores of other diseases I was exposed to. I took herbs and used natural supplements to ward off horrible diseases and managed to survive in Africa for the half a year I was there. However, in contrast, most of the religion hating atheists I met would be running to their tropical disease doctor for every pill, vaccine , toxic bug spray, etc they could get their hands on to protect them.

Anyway, HomesInSeattle, I can understand your sentiment, but would have hoped for a bit more of a sentimental, less condescending response to the Christian person. Being in Ethiopia, you are aware many Ethiopians are very religious Christians, many who condemn homosexuality and promote their religion. Were you so fast to laugh and tell them how their Christian religion has contaminated their culture? Considering it is a country with practicing Christians before the USA was even a country for that matter.

The way I look at it, is the way Christians are treated in Seattle, your response, being a very lightweight example, is exactly how non-religious, atheistis, non-Christians would be treated in a place like rural Alabama.

And, what if she wants to give ministry promoting her lifestyle and religion to other people in Seattle? As long as she doesn't do it by force, why should you criticize, mock or denigrate her intentions? In San Francisco, there was a group of gay men who raped a guy trying to force him to be gay. He didn't want to be gay (or as some believe, wasn't born that way), so they tried forcing him and he was infected with HIV, as well and died eventually. Are these gay men any more noble than the group of Christians who would beat and kill someone for not accepting Christ as their god? Evil and good comes in all types of forms, lifestyles and beliefs.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 01-19-2016 at 11:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 11:49 PM

20 posts, read 26,470 times
Well this thread went left fast. Gay,Christian, whatever I would hope Seattle is the kind of town where everyone just worries about themselves and not how the next person chooses to live their life.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelymeeh View Post
Well this thread went left fast. Gay,Christian, whatever I would hope Seattle is the kind of town where everyone just worries about themselves and not how the next person chooses to live their life.
Oh lovelymeeh, only if that were possible. If that is what you want, then unless you are a kool-aid drinker who just believes what you are told, you find Seattle is much more polarizing and judgmental than you are made to believe from the surface. Let the responses on this thread be a very eye-opening and sobering view. That is the one nice thing about forums. Yes, there is a lot of trolling, spam and people who exacerbate issues. However, there is also some hard and dry honesty that allows you to see through the propaganda and fluff. Seattle is anything but a town where people are allowed to think what they want and do what they want. In fact, Seattle is one of the most thought controlled and politically correct cities in the USA. I've never felt more restricted and forced to conform and obey and agree with everyone around me more than Seattle. G-d Forbid you don't vote the way they do, support their causes, hate what they hate, love what they love and oh, if you have a religion in some G-d, watch out! You will be constantly attacked and ridiculed by Seattle's most prevalent religious zealots, Radical Orthodox Atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: