Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 26,476 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I recently received my transfer to Seattle for Work in February and am thinking about moving( work in travel industry so I can live anywhere and commute). But I had such a horrible time in my last city I really want to do a lot of research and make sure Seattle is right for me. I've looked at tons of posts from this site,Reddit,Yelp, and even Ihateseattle(got quite the laugh on there). It seems like no matter what your interests or hobbies, Seattle has it for you. Now my concern that comes into play are the people. Now in my opinion people are what make a city great or awful. When I had moved to San Francisco the people are what really kept me there. It was always so very easy to make friends or even date and I loved that I was quickly building relationships. But from what I've read almost everywhere, the general consensus is that it's hard to meet people in Seattle.

If anyone has lived in other major cities outside of Seattle or simply a transplant do you have any advice or places to compare it to?Anything you can add about meeting people or how dating is, is greatly appreciated. Not here to judge but this time around I really want to get honest opinions.What things do you wish you would have known or someone would have told you before you moved? My last move I didn't do any research and foolishly assumed since I've moved my entire adult life (San Fran,LA,NY) and always been the one making friends,that I could do it anywhere in America and that was simply not the case. I just want to know what I'm getting into. I think I can take the weather because I'm gone for work anyway so I won't have to deal with it all the time but the social scene and alleged "Seattle Freeze" has me questioning a move. If you think I should stop while I'm ahead feel free to say so lol I'd rather know now than to be stuck in a lease I can't break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:09 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelymeeh View Post
Hello all,
I recently received my transfer to Seattle for Work in February and am thinking about moving( work in travel industry so I can live anywhere and commute). But I had such a horrible time in my last city I really want to do a lot of research and make sure Seattle is right for me. I've looked at tons of posts from this site,Reddit,Yelp, and even Ihateseattle(got quite the laugh on there). It seems like no matter what your interests or hobbies, Seattle has it for you. Now my concern that comes into play are the people. Now in my opinion people are what make a city great or awful. When I had moved to San Francisco the people are what really kept me there. It was always so very easy to make friends or even date and I loved that I was quickly building relationships. But from what I've read almost everywhere, the general consensus is that it's hard to meet people in Seattle.

If anyone has lived in other major cities outside of Seattle or simply a transplant do you have any advice or places to compare it to?Anything you can add about meeting people or how dating is, is greatly appreciated. Not here to judge but this time around I really want to get honest opinions. My last move I didn't do any research and foolishly assumed since I've moved my entire adult life (San Fran,LA,NY) and always been the one making friends,that I could do it anywhere in America and that was simply not the case. I just want to know what I'm getting into. I think I can take the weather because I'm gone for work anyway so I won't have to deal with it all the time but the social scene and alleged "Seattle Freeze" has me questioning a move.
Your experience will be very different from your experience in California. If you have to transfer to Seattle, to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Know that to make friends (and date), it's necessary to get involved in local groups, activities, etc., where you can meet people by sharing activities with them on a regular basis. Like hiking clubs (the Mountaineers are big. Sierra Club--not so much), boating (rowing, canoeing/kayaking, sailing), the neighborhood soccer leagues, or Parks Dept. classes, REI lectures and singles activities, etc. Overall, people aren't outgoing and friendly like they are in CA. So you need to put more effort into breaking the ice, and putting yourself into environments where that happens more effortlessly, like group activities and classes.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your experience will be very different from your experience in California. If you have to transfer to Seattle, to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Know that to make friends (and date), it's necessary to get involved in local groups, activities, etc., where you can meet people by sharing activities with them on a regular basis. Like hiking clubs (the Mountaineers are big. Sierra Club--not so much), boating (rowing, canoeing/kayaking, sailing), the neighborhood soccer leagues, or Parks Dept. classes, REI lectures and singles activities, etc. Overall, people aren't outgoing and friendly like they are in CA. So you need to put more effort into breaking the ice, and putting yourself into environments where that happens more effortlessly, like group activities and classes.

Thanks for responding �� . This is good advice, I like rye forewarning. My transfer can be changed in 3 months so if I don't like it while visiting I definitely plan on moving on. I just really want to like it.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:05 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
A lot can depend on where you want to live, housing preferences, married/single, income, age group, educational level, politics/religion, car/car-less, personality, gender, sexual persuasion, etc., none of which you've shared.

I'm also a little confused by "work in travel industry so I can live anywhere and commute" - by "commute" do you mean to Sea-Tac Airport on other than a 9-5/M-F basis?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
A lot can depend on where you want to live, housing preferences, married/single, income, age group, educational level, politics/religion, car/car-less, personality, gender, sexual persuasion, etc., none of which you've shared.

I'm also a little confused by "work in travel industry so I can live anywhere and commute" - by "commute" do you mean to Sea-Tac Airport on other than a 9-5/M-F basis?
I'm a flight attendant so I'm in and out. For example I only work 15 days next month.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:23 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
I meet a couple people every week I could be friends with. Get outside in nature, join a gym, find a pub and coffee shop you love, volunteer with something that is close to your heart. Do those kinds of things, you'll like Seattle. If you don't, you will unwittingly join the "Freeze posse".

Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 PM

47 posts, read 111,775 times
Default ummm...really think about it

I have lived in Seattle for 3 years and Portland 3 years. I can only speak on MY experience and to let you know what you COULD expect or NOT. Seattlites are nice. Period. Portlanders are friendly, warm and hospitable. The reason I mention PDX is because I was told during my move from PDX that SEA is just like it. Nope. The similarities are they are both in PNW. I can attest to you that I have gone out to bars, many churches, tried to go out with co-workers and the Freeze is real. Some Seattlites don't like to hear it, but it is true in MY experience. And I was forewarned about it and I was like "I going to go out and meet people...etc." yep. Zero. It took me 3 years to meet 4 solid people/friends that I will know for life---three of them transplant from NYC, Colorado and MN-- and all in PDX. After being out west here for 6 years, I'm looking at relocating to someplace cheaper (back home in the midwest) and have a solid network available to me. It's hard to set up a supportive network, especially when you are an adult. But who knows, maybe I should check out SF? But to costly. Hopefully, if you decide to come, your experience will be better. Good luck to you! The city itself is beautiful

Old 01-18-2016, 11:23 PM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
Seattle sucks ass when it comes to people. Not sure if you're looking for quality or quantity here with responses, but I give so little **** about Seattle that you'll only get quantity out of me. But honestly, judging from your question, Seattle is not where you should move.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey View Post
I have lived in Seattle for 3 years and Portland 3 years. I can only speak on MY experience and to let you know what you COULD expect or NOT. Seattlites are nice. Period. Portlanders are friendly, warm and hospitable. The reason I mention PDX is because I was told during my move from PDX that SEA is just like it. Nope. The similarities are they are both in PNW. I can attest to you that I have gone out to bars, many churches, tried to go out with co-workers and the Freeze is real. Some Seattlites don't like to hear it, but it is true in MY experience. And I was forewarned about it and I was like "I going to go out and meet people...etc." yep. Zero. It took me 3 years to meet 4 solid people/friends that I will know for life---three of them transplant from NYC, Colorado and MN-- and all in PDX. After being out west here for 6 years, I'm looking at relocating to someplace cheaper (back home in the midwest) and have a solid network available to me. It's hard to set up a supportive network, especially when you are an adult. But who knows, maybe I should check out SF? But to costly. Hopefully, if you decide to come, your experience will be better. Good luck to you! The city itself is beautiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Seattle sucks ass when it comes to people. Not sure if you're looking for quality or quantity here with responses, but I give so little **** about Seattle that you'll only get quantity out of me. But honestly, judging from your question, Seattle is not where you should move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I meet a couple people every week I could be friends with. Get outside in nature, join a gym, find a pub and coffee shop you love, volunteer with something that is close to your heart. Do those kinds of things, you'll like Seattle. If you don't, you will unwittingly join the "Freeze posse".
Thank you. I guess it's going to come down to how much actual effort I'm willing to put into it. It's a crazy thought to have to "try" to meet people. It's always come so simply for me. But it seems like that's what most of you thought before you moved as well. It's just difficult when you move somewhere new let alone the fact that you're gone half the month. I do need to take a long hard look at what you are saying though. I'm glad I'm getting the uninhibited truth now before uprooting my life.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:44 AM

100 posts, read 130,229 times
As a Christian, it is scary to me all the people that seemingly move here because of the scene: not a huge church going place, pro-gay, etc. I want to think of it as a good ministry opportunity, but after awhile, it gets draining. I am okay with the anti-racism and environmental factors because those are important, but I do think people can be excessive in those areas. As far as politics, I have views on both ends of the spectrum, but it is refreshing when I meet seemingly conservative people because I tend to lean more in that direction, and people tend to be more liberal here.

It seems like a lot of people come here from different places. What was wrong with where they came from? Why did they feel the need to leave their parents before marriage? But of course, there are different living situations in Seattle. And I guess it's scary to me how crowded it's getting for a variety of reasons, but maybe I shouldn't be so bothered by it.

I moved here when I was a year old, so I guess I didn't have much of a choice in the matter, and don't really remember Brooklyn, NY living.

I don't really date these days unless it's talking to someone from the Internet, and even then, I try to keep it at a friendship level unless we decide to date. I guess I'm somewhat picky, not a good catch for some people, etc. Some guys show interest, but it doesn't seem to go farther than that these days. But that's not to say you shouldn't try and get yourself out there if you are looking for the one. And I know of other people who have had better success dating than I.

I've had a lot of bad experiences with people here, and my friendship circle is really small, and I even have issues with those friends at times (but isn't that the usual in relationships?). And I suppose I have issues with people who aren't my close friends, and maybe I need to extend more grace to them.

Sometimes I'll say hi to random strangers and strike up brief conversations, but it doesn't seem to go farther than that these days. I guess it's easier when someone is drunk or a lonely homeless person.

I think there are some people that are more friendly than others, and Seattle does seem to attract a fair amount of introverts (so not me), but I think some people have better luck than others meeting people, although you are right about the general consensus about it being hard to meet people. But it's funny when people say that when they seem to have a fair amount of friends.

I suppose I have better luck talking to people during my volunteer job and church fellowship group.

Oh, and get ready for nasty traffic and some homeless people and some dirty areas, but I think you are used to that living in other cities.

I do like going to the mall (although it can rowdy) and going to restaurants (although it can get dirty) and going grocery shopping. And spending time in my apartment, although I don't like the outside noise and condo living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: