Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 19,101 times

Advertisements

I've gotten an offer to work in the Seattle area for my first job out of college. I could be in the following locations;
Auburn, WA;
Everett, WA;
Kent, WA;
Renton, WA;
SeaTac, WA;
Seattle, WA

I had a few questions and was hoping to get some general advice about what it would be like moving and working there. I'd like to give some background so maybe you guys could help gauge the transition better. I've lived my whole life in the Chicago suburbs and currently go to school in rural Indiana (Purdue). I'd be working for Boeing and making between $50-$55K. I'm single and plan to rent, so that means 1 BR apt. I plan to have a car, but use public transit as much as possible. I'm curious if you guys thought my salary would support a young single male in the city. What do you think the transition would be like for my particular situation. Please ask me any questions you think would help. Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,008 times
You'll be fine. Seattle is one of the most expensive cities in the country from a cost of living standpoint, especially the real estate. But you are going to work for a major company which will offer steady income and you are single and will be easily able to rent a decent place. If you were thinking of buying a home and raising a family, it might be a different story.

If you choose to stay in the area , 5-10 years from now you should be well established and easily able to afford housing.

Seattle is one of the safest big cities in the country and you can live nearly anywhere. Pick the city/suburb and neighborhood that match your lifestyle. You will probably be able to find a 1BR apartment that you can afford almost anywhere. Maybe not in a high-rise with a view of the ocean, but you know what I mean.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:38 PM

327 posts, read 963,077 times
I was in your position when I first moved to Seattle. You should be fine renting and will establish yourself in about 5 years time like jpk said. Boeing has a new hire organization called "REACH" that makes it really easy to socialize with young people in the company. You should subscribe to the DL when you get to work.

A lot of young people at Boeing live in Renton (South Port area) or Seattle (Downtown, Belltown, Queen Anne, Wallingford, Fremont, Green Lake). I think when you're young, living in Belltown/Queen Anne is really fun way to get started in Seattle and meet people. It's fun to be close to the action in Seattle when you're first getting started. Plus, the public transportation from the city is pretty good to these areas (except Auburn....hope you don't end up working all the way down there). Another nice thing about living in the city is you'll be doing the reverse commute against all the traffic. You'll understand how important this is once you get here and see the traffic patterns.

Boeing also has a lot of corporate discounts with certain apartment complexes. Check with your HR relocation agent.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM

142 posts, read 558,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemonty View Post
I've gotten an offer to work in the Seattle area for my first job out of college. I could be in the following locations;
Auburn, WA;
Everett, WA;
Kent, WA;
Renton, WA;
SeaTac, WA;
Seattle, WA

I had a few questions and was hoping to get some general advice about what it would be like moving and working there. I'd like to give some background so maybe you guys could help gauge the transition better. I've lived my whole life in the Chicago suburbs and currently go to school in rural Indiana (Purdue). I'd be working for Boeing and making between $50-$55K. I'm single and plan to rent, so that means 1 BR apt. I plan to have a car, but use public transit as much as possible. I'm curious if you guys thought my salary would support a young single male in the city. What do you think the transition would be like for my particular situation. Please ask me any questions you think would help. Thanks for you help.
If those are the towns and you can have your choice, take Seattle. I know you are working for Boeing but as a young single person from a major city, you won't like SeaTac most likely or anyplace south. Move to Seattle and commute. You might enjoy West Seattle or right in town. It's a safe city and as has already been said, you can afford it. As for areas of town, young people like living in the U District and Fremont, or even Cap Hill. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area