Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,927,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I'm Flying to San Diego non stop from Seattle tommorrow. Hope to get bumped. SW has very generous payouts for getting bumped. One time I was offered 300 bucks in flying credit to get bumped from Seattle to Albuquerque and did not take it. Should have.
Southwest offered me $700 last time to get bumped and yes i took it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:24 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,927,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't fly Southwest because almost every flight at a convenient time has a stop somewhere else on the way. On such a short flight as Southern CA, I don't want to stop in San Jose, Reno or Las Vegas and add to the flight time. When we go there we don't fly Alaska either. We use Jet Blue, and fly into Long Beach, a very convenient, quiet airport. Luggage is $35 for the first bag, $35 for the second, but $20 for the first of purchased with the ticket. No one in our family ever has a second bag, and the $20 is well worth it to breeze through the airport, and through TSA on the way back.
Long Beach airport unfortunately is 60 miles from where my parents live while Burbank airport is only 10 miles away. If long beach werent so far from my parents house i would consider jetblue to long beach.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:54 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Nope

I just wonder why alaska air is often so expensive compared to southwest.
Southwest is a discount airline. Plus, straight-through flights cost more than mid-way stop/plane change routes. Some people are ok with that inconvenience, and they get a discount based on their willingness to accept that. Alaska is a very good airline, though. Loyal patrons probably feel they get better service, even if they have to pay for it. In any case, I can't imagine why anyone would be such a busybody as to care what airline you use, much less to actually comment on it. That's strange.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:07 PM

184 posts, read 336,173 times
I certainly don't mind flying Southwest if they have a cheaper fare than Alaska. They are rarely cheaper on the flights I have flown in the past couple of years, though.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mongo View Post
I certainly don't mind flying Southwest if they have a cheaper fare than Alaska. They are rarely cheaper on the flights I have flown in the past couple of years, though.
I like both. Alaska was the first airline to institute check-in at the gate, ages ago, so you didn't have to wait in line at the main desk. You could breeze by all that, and go straight to the boarding area. Nowadays, everyone has curbside check-in, but back then, there was no such thing. Alaska has dome some impressive things for customer service. I'm sad to hear they charge $25/checked bag, though.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 AM

547 posts, read 507,203 times
Not if you have the Alaskan airline credit card.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post

People in Seattle wonder why I don't fly Alaska airlines and look down at me when I tell them I fly Southwest Airlines to Southern California. People at my Jewish group who are from Southern California only fly Alaska Airlines and talk to me like I'm from another planet when I tell them I fly southwest.

Why are Seattlelites so snobby and against Southwest Airlines?

Burbank Airport is a regional airport in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.
OP, do you realize you're contradicting yourself here, a little? You're putting all this onto Seattleites, when in fact, it's your SoCal Jewish colleagues who are part of the problem you're having. Maybe you should find different groups to hang out with....? No one I knew in Seattle had the remotest interest what airline anyone else used. I'm wondering how they would even know. Who asks that? It sounds like you hang out with a bunch of old-fashioned grandmothers who have nothing better to do than cluck and fuss over the minutia of other people's lives. What gives?

Old 09-22-2016, 11:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,885,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, do you realize you're contradicting yourself here, a little? You're putting all this onto Seattleites, when in fact, it's your SoCal Jewish colleagues who are part of the problem you're having. Maybe you should find different groups to hang out with....? No one I knew in Seattle had the remotest interest what airline anyone else used. I'm wondering how they would even know. Who asks that? It sounds like you hang out with a bunch of old-fashioned grandmothers who have nothing better to do than cluck and fuss over the minutia of other people's lives. What gives?
Thanks Ruth, I've followed this thread and my only thought is "WTF?".

Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,903,069 times
I always fly direct flights, even if they cost more. I won't pay for first class or other perks, but a direct flight is important to me.

I once flew a non-direct flight in 1985. I think it was Continental. They lost my luggage during the transfer. They found it a day later and sent it to me.

I hate flying, so I want to get to my destination ASAP. I don't want to fly, land, wait, then fly again. I'll gladly pay a few hundred more to avoid that.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 5,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I always fly direct flights, even if they cost more. I won't pay for first class or other perks, but a direct flight is important to me.

I once flew a non-direct flight in 1985. I think it was Continental. They lost my luggage during the transfer. They found it a day later and sent it to me.

I hate flying, so I want to get to my destination ASAP. I don't want to fly, land, wait, then fly again. I'll gladly pay a few hundred more to avoid that.
I'm actually the opposite. I would take a direct flight if it's practical but, living near a small airport for awhile made me get use to having 1 or even 2 stops. I consider visiting other airports part of the vacation experience. Sometimes I would even pay a little extra to give myself a connection in a new airport rather than one I've been to a few times. It allowed me to set foot in regions of the country that I would otherwise fly over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area