Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:56 AM

143 posts, read 334,392 times

Advertisements

Click Kam Chancellor Racial Profiling for story.

I try pretty hard not to be a voice for addressing racism, as I want to imagine its' dead. But the truth is it is not. I've said for my entire time in Seattle that this may be one of the worst cities for black men in the country, only to my close friends of course. But its' unfortunate that I may be up to something.

Yesterday it happened to one of the most prominent black faces in the Seattle area. Hopefully you read the story. Now, imagine if that wasn't Kam Chancellor? You think this black man would be able to tweet about it from jail?

I'm not a prominent black face in the booming city of Seattle, but I am loved by many, and my community that I serve needs me just the same as Seattle needs Kam (if you're into that football stuff, I'm not). I believe Seattle stereotypes black men unfairly which stunts success, and I also notice that black men do not participate in the wealth creation and career success that others are capable of finding with likely much less effort.

I can tell you many stories from my personal experience similar to Kams and many more racist, and discriminatory incidences that have happened to me here in the Seattle area than my entire life combined. I hope the "liberal" people of Seattle realize they have a long way to go involving race and black men.

Again, I am not a voice or ever want to make a platform for race and discrimination, it's 2016. It shouldn't be an issue anymore. But you can't reject the truth and facts.

If you need more proof just google "KUOW Black In Seattle" a great report by the NPR folks that gives the black experience here.

Last edited by JL1585; 03-03-2016 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: For clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
How is this racist? It could happen to anyone who is peering through the glass of a private property and it won't even appear on the news.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
How is this racist? It could happen to anyone who is peering through the glass of a private property and it won't even appear on the news.
Yea, you're right. It could happen to anyone. But it didn't this time, and often doesn't. Racial profiling happens at an exponentially higher rate for black men than any others. You're also not considering other implications i.e. what happens when the police are called on black men vs white men, white women, etc. Different outcomes, sometimes by chance alone.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 PM

1,000 posts, read 787,480 times
Ridiculous thread title, simply not true.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:34 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
While I wouldn't say Seattle's the worst city in that regard (the example given in the article of an incident in Wisconsin sounds more egregious: what, people can't even enter a business as customers without being assumed to be criminals?), Seattle does have a long way to go. My pet peeve is Metro bus drivers who visibly tense up and shut down when a black male raises their voice even slightly, for any reason (asking a question of the driver while standing at the bus stop, for example). There are many small moments like that, happening all around the city, that most people don't seem to notice. More people need to speak up to help when they see those kinds of daily injustices.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:01 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Seattle? This happened in Redmond. He could have robbed a place in Seattle and the police would have simply told the owners to file a report online for their insurance.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Seattle? This happened in Redmond. He could have robbed a place in Seattle and the police would have simply told the owners to file a report online for their insurance.
Hmm, the Seahawks facility is in Renton which is the same distance from Seattle as Redmond. We call them the Seattle Seahawks, or should we change their name to Renton Seahawks for technicalities?

Love how people just accept things for what they are. This is why its the worst city for black men. People hear about an issue that doesn't effect them or they themselves aren't experiencing, and make excuses or just turn the other way. Bless the heart of the faceless black men in the Seattle area who aren't football stars.

Black twitter is going nuts right now FYI.

Last edited by JL1585; 03-03-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Well, there was the infamous case of Henry Louis Gates, Jr. getting arrested for trying to enter his own home. Somehow, one of his neighbors had failed to notice over years of living there, that they had a Black neighbor, and called the cops on him when he returned home from a vacation. So it's not just Seattle. Combating and eliminating racism takes work. It takes, among other things, active vigilance of one's own thought processes. It takes a commitment to positive change and to self-examination. This is more than a lot of people are willing to do, or to even acknowledge needs doing.

"Who, ME?? No, the racists are those crazy people who wear sheets, and who put up 'Whites only' signs. I'm cool. I wouldn't do anything bad."

Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,771 times
Okay this is ridiculous! 2 girls were in there, a group of men are looking threw the windows and trying to get in! It's after closing time and I doubt they are looking like they are business men... Be fair look at it from the girls perspective! And we all know blacks commit more crimes... Here I will link statistics from the FBI for you to read. https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43 Now I know you people are going to be saying no they commit less crimes than white people, your still racist! Well if we look at black population relative to crime they are much more likely to commit crimes. Blacks commit about 28% of crimes while only comprising 12% of population. Here's a page about the population of blacks. QuickFacts Now we know blacks are more likely to commit crimes. How about we go back to the story now, 2 girls alone, with a bunch of black guys trying to get in. From the pictures I do not think they were looking professional tho I could be wrong. Wouldn't you call the police too? Just because something bad happens to blacks is NOT because everyone is racist! I have no idea why people would even think this is racist! Those 2 girls were scared, how is that not clear! Put yourself in their shoes! It is NOT racism!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:14 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
I have seen my BamBam at the hardware store and was thrilled BEYOND BELIEF !!!!( hold out or not )
I find it very hard to understand why anyone would call the police on him SO CLOSE to the VMAC.
It's a gym 10 miles from the VMAC.
He is running ladies training camps ( I hope to go to one ) and everyone and their dog ( around here anyway) knows what he looks like.
He has been very popular for a good while now and even if you don't know him he looks like a VERY upscale dapper gentleman when out .
I so wish that had been ME at the gym I would've dashed out there to meet him and the place totally opened to him . They would've sold that gym in under 15 minutes !!
Barney Fife (RIP) was a better cop though than their police force. Regardless I am SURE the cops knew him right away.
GOHAWKS

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 03-03-2016 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area