Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 AM

232 posts, read 995,458 times

Advertisements

I may be moving back to Seattle. I lived there a few years back. And house prices have really gone up.
I can really only afford 250-300K...There may be a possiblity to go a little over that.
We have to have at least 1800 sq ft with a garage.
We really do not want to live in any of the burbs....except for maybe Shoreline, Lake Forest Park even Lake city.
Anyone have any advise ?
We really want to move back.....Seattle was and is a great place to live !
Miss the Pacific Northwest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 AM

139 posts, read 1,217,304 times
I'm curious to why you wouldn't want to live in Shoreline? I know for the most part it is still nice. Lake City isn't all bad either. Now Lake Forest Park isn't cheap especially on the Lake. On you only looking North or would you also consider West Seattle or South Seattle or maybe the Central District. I don't know how long its been since you have lived in Seattle but the Central District has really changed for the better in terms of quality middle class housing.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:52 PM

13 posts, read 67,517 times
I live in Kenmore and when I have to drive to Shoreline community College to drop off my Daughter the traffic on Bothell way thru Lake city is bad . They are now doing alot of road work. Lake forest Park is kinda spendy. First of all where is your place of employment ? I start there and work out. Lynnwood is not to bad they got some nice neighborhoods popping up there. Bothell as well . Easy access to the freeways. Property tax is different between King county and Snohomish and prices. I know I rather live in Snohomish which I plan to move by summer. Gas is even cheaper there. Look at your commute .. Whats the use of having a beautiful and spendy house when you spend the majority of your time in commuting. The traffic is hell here when the weather is bad and it 's been bad both ways. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Living in Seattle

First let me say thanks for the replies....
I ahve lived in Seattle before so I am aware of the commutes....I prefer living in the city....I'd rather not live in the burbs...Besides, from what I remember alot of the cheaper burbs are kind of white trash.
My job will be in Auburn.
Tony....I'd consider anywhere in the city of Seattle as long as it was nice.
I didn't say I want to live in Shoreline...just that I would consider it. My relatives also live there.
I've heard the west side is nice now.....but it looked spendy too.
All of the decently priced homes there are very small. 1100-1300 sq ft.
I need something close to if not more than 1800 sq ft.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 PM

331 posts, read 2,110,285 times
That commute to and from Aburn plain sucks!!! Always backed up in both directions from the Seattle area. If you have a choice I would live close to work.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:07 AM

46 posts, read 371,976 times
^^ I agree totally, live closer to work, wherever that might be. I hope this doesn't come across as offensive Shawn but it sounds like you've been away long enough you may not know the town as well as you'd like to think anymore. I wouldn't write Shoreline off, although personally I prefer Seattle too. Lots of people are in the same boat as you, and many are moving to or have already moved to places like Shoreline. We bought our house in N Seattle a little over a year ago, in the same price range as you, and got familiar with the almost-scraping-the-barrel options in this town So I try to share what I learned when people turn their noses at places like White Center based on what it used to be or what they heard it's like. Seattle, especially anywhere w/in the city limits, is getting demographically (but not ethnically) homogeneous, and if you want to live in Seattle proper I suspect these are your peeps moving into all these areas. The downside is there are more would be buyers than available houses, and that's kept Seattle's home prices from falling back down compared to other markets like CA, AZ, and NV whose prices rose more from speculation investment. So I would look into the very areas you remember as not your type of people because those are probably the bargains, and if they have good access to public transportation and services, chances are those are tomorrow's hot neighborhoods. It takes people like you moving in to help turn the tide, and like I said before you'll be in good company. Also don't write off N Aurora regardless how you remember it. If you can handle living w/o a yard, there are lots of townhomes going in all over town and from what I see they take longer to sell and haven't gone up in price as much as the detached houses, plus you get a garage, newer construction, and more sq footage for your money-- from what I can tell. The next two decades are going to see a big increase in density in Seattle, especially downtown, but other areas like Northgate are getting height restrictions raised so it's still a good time to move into an up and coming area and be part of the change.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:38 AM

46 posts, read 371,976 times
Also keep in mind the average house in Seattle is just not 1800 sq ft One of my inlaws visiting from Kansas City a few years ago made the comment driving around Seattle "I've never seen so many small houses so close together" and I have to agree --somewhat. Every city has different housing stock, and Kansas City for example has better than average quality, big older homes in large supply whereas Seattle has some very nice homes but more than its share of smallish two bedroom detached houses; we have a nice looking antique garage, but it was built for a horse drawn buggy not a car. When you compare it to a place like Las Vegas with mostly newer 3+ bedroom tract homes it can seem like you get less for your money, and depending each persons unique perspective and need for sunshine that may be the case.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Neptune

I think you were confused about my comment... I like Shoreline and would of course look there as well....My sister n law lives there also. Choosing an area has nothing to do with the people there for me....I just know what areas a like. I still have family there and visit, so I am still in touch with most area's. I can't really live in a townhome as we have 3 dogs and need a yard. Plus my wife really likes older homes more than new ones.My job would be located in Auburn should they offer it to me. I just had my interview on Friday. I really don't want to live in the burbs....but I may have to because of the prices. Plus the commute would be better. Any suggestions ? Where do you currently live ?
We use to live in Haller Lake , if you know where that is ?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,065,435 times
You will not be able to find anything IN Seattle at that price, regardless of size.

You will not be able to find anything within a 30 mile perimeter, at that size, at that price.

My friend just bought a condo about 6 mths ago in Renton, for $250K and within weeks, the price was way over that. She didn't have much of a choice in her range either... I think there were 2.

I just sold my 1600 sqft home in Bothell/Mill Creek for $370k - and it was 20+ yrs old!

My inlaws live in the Central District and homes (when we were there in October) were starting at $400k.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 AM

I've had a Realtor friend of mine send some listings ....the ones in w seattle under 300 were only about 1200 sq ft....guess I will have to run the #'s when I see what the job offer is......I really would like to live right in the city limits....but looks like I may not be able to.
What do you think of Auburn ?
I've had her send me home from that area and they looked pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area