Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 AM

25 posts, read 83,309 times

Advertisements

Hello people from Washington!

My husband and I are planning on moving from Vermont to Seattle this summer. We are originally from Utah and are ready to move back to the west coast. Its at least a little closer to family.

I wanted to get the inside scoop from locals on a few details.

My husband and I are both critical care nurses. We plan to apply to positions in the ICUs at Harborveiw medical center. We are firm on this hospital because we only want to work at a level 1 trauma facility. Anyone know anything about this hospital? Particularly the ICU's? We have plenty of experience, what's the job market like? Quality hospital? Happy nurses? Do you have to have your BSN or will they accept experienced ADN nurses? Also I plan on continuing my education and doing an online nurse practitioner program. Anyone know if they have NP's working in the hospital, in the ICU, the ER, the floors? I have to set up my own clinical so I'd like to know that I'll be able to find people to shadow.

We plan on buying a house right away. We have a 3 big dogs and 4 cats to bring along with us. So renting is out of the question! I would like to keep my commute to less than 30 minutes. Max would be 45 minutes. will I have to stay in the borders of seattle proper or can I get to work in 30 mints and live in some of the cities surrounding seattle? I have only been to seattle once so my knowledge of the area is slim. And coming from itty bitty Vermont, I have no idea what rush hour traffic (or traffic in general) even means! So I know I'm in for a big surprise. I've noticed the housing prices are quite high... We plan on buying a fixer upper and doing all the work ourselves to ultimately make a profit off the house. As we have done with out past homes. What neighborhoods are good for that? We don't have kids, but safety, access to parks (to walk the dogs in), and quite are important to us. Our biggest concern is traffic and commuting. Its a totally foreign concept to us. But we are willing to spend some time on the roads to be in the better neighborhoods. Our price range for homes is 200-300 thousand. Remember That's for a fixer upper. We can't afford the posh areas, but would like to avoid the ghetto.

How long does it take to get out of the city and into some hiking areas? we are big hikers, climbers, campers, and general outdoor people. I'm hoping house to trail will take less than an hour! Vermont and seattle have very similar climates in terms of amount of rain and sun so we are prepared for the weather.

Lastly, I'd love to hear about your favorite hiking trails, restaurants, bars, hang out spots, camping spots, and ultimately why you love living in seattle and/or Washington.

we are very excited to start a new chapter, and can't wait to learn the ins and outs of big city life in seattle! Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Quote:
We plan on buying a house right away. We have a 3 big dogs and 4 cats to bring along with us. So renting is out of the question! I would like to keep my commute to less than 30 minutes. Max would be 45 minutes. will I have to stay in the borders of seattle proper or can I get to work in 30 mints and live in some of the cities surrounding seattle? I have only been to seattle once so my knowledge of the area is slim. And coming from itty bitty Vermont, I have no idea what rush hour traffic (or traffic in general) even means! So I know I'm in for a big surprise. I've noticed the housing prices are quite high... We plan on buying a fixer upper and doing all the work ourselves to ultimately make a profit off the house. As we have done with out past homes. What neighborhoods are good for that? We don't have kids, but safety, access to parks (to walk the dogs in), and quite are important to us. Our biggest concern is traffic and commuting. Its a totally foreign concept to us. But we are willing to spend some time on the roads to be in the better neighborhoods. Our price range for homes is 200-300 thousand. Remember That's for a fixer upper. We can't afford the posh areas, but would like to avoid the ghetto.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/com...ousing_market/

You will want to read every last post of that link.

This is a market where developers regularly outbid offers to the tune of $50k-100k over asking price, in cold hard cash offers. The Central District and surrounding areas are prime real estate, and you'd definitely be up against developers at that price point. No question.

The median cost of a home -- for the entire county -- is $500,000. Inventory is at an all-time low and likely going lower. And with the influx of people moving to the area wanting to buy exacerbates the issue. Bottom line: prices aren't going any lower, not for the foreseeable future.

Median price for single-family homes hits $500,000 in King County | The Seattle Times

King County home prices climb amid worst shortage of inventory in a decade | The Seattle Times

To that end, if you insist on your current price point, that likely prices you out of King County altogether. Real talk. That means that either your price point needs to adjust, or your commuting expectations need to adjust. Your current expectations are incompatible with the current market.

It's important to face this reality BEFORE you move out here. The summer is coming, and the housing market will only get worse for buyers before it gets better. If your price point is fixed, my advice would be to look in either Everett or Tacoma and make peace with an hour plus commute, each way.

Last edited by amaiunmei; 04-11-2016 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-11-2016, 05:41 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Cheers Jessica!

I went to UVM, a lot of Vermonters live in Seattle. What's your house buying budget and what hospitals do you think you will work the most at? These are very important questions as traffic can be brutal, you want to live on the side of town you are working. Also, fixers are coveted around here. Don't expect to get a good deal, a fixer just means that you will be competing with 4 people instead of 15, and that it will escalate $30k instead of $100k.

About hiking and nature, you can't go wrong. Point your car and let your creativity be your guide. For me, the hikes out Hwy 2 on the way to Stevens Pass are the most rewarding without having to drive that far.

Food in my opinion is very good here. Some kinds, like Italian, not the best. Incredible Asian food of all kinds. Excellent Ethiopian, great seafood, farm to table restaurants too.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Cheers Jessica!

I went to UVM, a lot of Vermonters live in Seattle. What's your house buying budget and what hospitals do you think you will work the most at? These are very important questions as traffic can be brutal, you want to live on the side of town you are working. Also, fixers are coveted around here. Don't expect to get a good deal, a fixer just means that you will be competing with 4 people instead of 15, and that it will escalate $30k instead of $100k.

About hiking and nature, you can't go wrong. Point your car and let your creativity be your guide. For me, the hikes out Hwy 2 on the way to Stevens Pass are the most rewarding without having to drive that far.

Food in my opinion is very good here. Some kinds, like Italian, not the best. Incredible Asian food of all kinds. Excellent Ethiopian, great seafood, farm to table restaurants too.
She said $200--$300k for SFH (lot of pet) 30-45 minute commute to Harborview. Not willing to compromise on any of it.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Don't want to be a 'Debbie Downer', but ...

You say you will only work at Harborview, then ask what the job market is like. Seems like that's something you could find out directly from Harborview.

You want to buy a $200-$300K home within 30 minutes of Harborview - I would say impossible. For one thing, you would want to bus to work (parking would be difficult and expensive) - that immediately gives you a longer commute. And, I know you want a 'fixer-upper' - those sell for $400-$500K in the city limits (where you'd have to live to stay within your commute limits). If your housing budget is fixed, I agree with the above poster - look at Everett or further north and maybe find jobs in that area.

I would definitely do thorough research in jobs and real estate before making a move.

Last edited by tobester; 04-11-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 10:32 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Don't want to be a 'Debbie Downer', but ...

You say you will only work at Harborview, then ask what the job market is like. Seems like that's something you could find out directly from Harborview.

You want to buy a $200-$300K home within 30 minutes of Harborview - I would say impossible. For one thing, you would want to bus to work (parking would be difficult and expensive) - that immediately gives you a longer commute. And, I know you want a 'fixer-upper' - those sell for $400-$500K in the city limits (where you'd have to live to stay within your commute limits). If your housing budget is fixed, I agree with the above poster - look at Everett or further north and maybe find jobs in that area.

I would definitely do thorough research in jobs and real estate before making a move.
I agree with tobester.

To the OP, check out the NP laws with the licensing board, as well. As you know, they vary in most states of whether NPs can practice independently or must be supervised. I understand the role of midlevels in Critical Care ICUs. When you contact Harborview, ask how they utilize NPs. Some hospitals do it differently. And at some point you may not be able to work in critical care for different reasons. It's always wise, IMO, to know what you can do within the rules for your regulated license.

Have you worked at Fletcher-Allen or other facilities to get your level of experience? I'd have a firm offer from Harborview for both of you before you moved. Critical care retains more nursing staff in most hospitals than they use to.

Good luck with your move and finding the right house etc. I think it could be a challenge to find the house you want close enough to Harborview.

MSR

Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
It can take me an hour to get from Ballard to Harborview...

Consider looking in Kent for a fixer-upper and then taking Sounder commuter rail to downtown Seattle - you can then walk, bus, or Uber to Harborview. Or an early or late car commute (considering hospital shifts) could be doable. For instance:

529 Central Ave S, Kent, WA 98032 | Zillow

831 1st Ave N, Kent, WA 98032 | MLS #907921 | Zillow

23838 100th Ave SE, Kent, WA 98031 | MLS #917460 | Zillow

25028 128th Pl SE, Kent, WA 98030 | MLS #892703 | Zillow

Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, are you aware of Glassdoor.com? It's a site where you can enter the employer you're considering, and read comments from people who have worked there, to find out the working conditions, employer-employee relationships, benefits, work atmosphere, fairness of salaries, etc. We can't answer your questions re: Harborview, but with a little internet research, you can get the answers you seek.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
One thing we're forgetting is that OP and husband might not be working normal hours, actually being low on the totem pole might mean weekends and nights. With no traffic and using 520 (be warned OP, that bridge is tolled), Duvall is 40 minutes away.

OP find out shift start and end times and that can go a long way with knowing how far out you can search.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:27 PM

319 posts, read 346,571 times
OP, I think you will find that finding a single family house (even a super fixer upper) within a 30 minute commute from Harborview for 200k-300k is unrealistic. You may find one in what many would consider a ghetto (and that comes with issues of its own) or if you work off hours you may find one that you can reach in that time without traffic (and traffic here seems to increase by the minute here lately). In Seattle, it can often take 30 minutes just to get a very short distance these days so 30 minute doesn't give you much room. I would look on the real estate websites and find houses you like in your price range and then map the traffic at the times you would need to commute. Assume that traffic will only get worse and that you will have competition for houses in that price range with bidding wars being very common here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area